The Student Room Group

How much do you have in savings???

I set up a S&S ISA yesterday with £5k to start with. I'm wondering how much should I keep in my debit account so I have some money I can easily withdraw? Atm I have £12k still in my debit account, and another £11k in a cash ISA. How much more do you think I should deposit into the S&S isa, whilst having enough in my debit account? I'm a student btw
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have about 27k in total :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Like £1.50 for Asda sandwiches
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Like £1.50 for Asda sandwiches

Are you at uni?
Original post by Iasona
Are you at uni?

Nah, not smart enough for Uni. Wbu?

Thanks DWP.
Nah, not smart enough for Uni. Wbu?

I'm sure that's not true! Yeah I am, but I worked for a couple years before going
Original post by glassalice

Thanks DWP.

How much do you keep in your debit account (approx)? I'm thinking of moving more of mine into savings but I'm not sure how much is a good 'safety' amount to keep at hand
Original post by Iasona
I'm sure that's not true! Yeah I am, but I worked for a couple years before going

Thanks Lasagne :h:

What as?
Thanks Lasagne :h:

What as?

Np :biggrin:In a business consultancy, but mostly doing admin work lol. What do you do for a living?
Original post by Iasona
Np :biggrin:In a business consultancy, but mostly doing admin work lol. What do you do for a living?

Oh that’s nice, how much did you make a month? I’m currently at A levels planning on going into medicine lol
£87, impressive ik, I've been saving up😎
Not enough to buy a property in London with a garden, garage and swimming pool. :cry2:
Oh that’s nice, how much did you make a month? I’m currently at A levels planning on going into medicine lol

Around £2,000 a month, I just emailed a load of local companies so I was pretty lucky to find that. Ah that's cool, I was looking at graduate entry medicine but it's super competitive in comparison so I'd definitely go for it at undergrad!
Original post by Igniform
Have you considered a LISA (if you don't own property)?
I have about £18,000, half in stocks

Yep I've looked into that too. I might set one up although I already have a help to buy and a S&S isa. How much would you recommend to keep in my debit account because I have a fair amount in there that I could move into an isa still
Original post by Iasona
Around £2,000 a month, I just emailed a load of local companies so I was pretty lucky to find that. Ah that's cool, I was looking at graduate entry medicine but it's super competitive in comparison so I'd definitely go for it at undergrad!

That’s fantastic man. Well done👍 very luck, wish I had something like that
Yeah I know :h:
Once I go back to uni I'd imagine around £800 a month, but I also get student finance which I've not included in the total in my debit account
It doesn't cover everything (about £1k short) but I work anyway so my monthly income with student maintenance more than covers my expenses. I might aim to maintain about £5k in my debit account I think
That’s fantastic man. Well done👍 very luck, wish I had something like that
Yeah I know :h:

Thanks, hope all goes well with med school applications (if ur in year 12)!
Original post by Igniform
Have you considered a LISA (if you don't own property)?
I have about £18,000, half in stocks

Actually there's a massive withdrawal charge for LISAs (25%) so I don't think that's an option for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending