The Student Room Group

Eating problems

I've always been concerned about my body shape since around the age of 13, where I wanted to be skinny, I thought it was attractive and maybe I'd feel better about myself if I had no weight, to the point where I'd cry because i simply had no waist and my stomach wasn't completely flat

However I'm now struggling with the problem that even when I bloat after eating, I genuinely just see myself as unattractive and I won't eat breakfast or lunch the next day, I'm not sure what to do about this but I know starving myself isn't good for me
Original post by Kitty_D
I've always been concerned about my body shape since around the age of 13, where I wanted to be skinny, I thought it was attractive and maybe I'd feel better about myself if I had no weight, to the point where I'd cry because i simply had no waist and my stomach wasn't completely flat

However I'm now struggling with the problem that even when I bloat after eating, I genuinely just see myself as unattractive and I won't eat breakfast or lunch the next day, I'm not sure what to do about this but I know starving myself isn't good for me

I'm very sorry to hear that, bloating is such a natural thing so its a shame you feel unattractive about yourself when it happens, but i suggest maybe telling yourself everyday that you look good and attractive? try to build up your body confidence that will help you a lot eventually. just remember that your body will love you for the food you give it. im sorry if this isnt helpful
Original post by Kitty_D

Bloating is totally normal it’s sometimes caused by lactose intolerance and normally it’s caused by things like fast food and carbohydrates. Hence why everyone gets bloated . It’s totally normal and and eating less wont help . Please talk to someone you can trust about this situation. I’m not an expert but I’d say definitely don’t skip meals . Try eating healthy stuff to gain your confidence back such as salads and eggs etc these things don’t bloat and so slowly you will start feeling more confident, but please soeak to an expert or a parent . And don’t stop eating carbs. Missing out on meals can cause a range of deficiencies .
Reply 3
Original post by EmilyBuranasiri
I'm very sorry to hear that, bloating is such a natural thing so its a shame you feel unattractive about yourself when it happens, but i suggest maybe telling yourself everyday that you look good and attractive? try to build up your body confidence that will help you a lot eventually. just remember that your body will love you for the food you give it. im sorry if this isnt helpful

Thank you, that was somewhat helpful, I've always just been fixated on having a "perfect body" without realising what damage I was doing
Original post by Kitty_D
Thank you, that was somewhat helpful, I've always just been fixated on having a "perfect body" without realising what damage I was doing

When I meant gaining your confidence back I didn’t mean body wise I meant as in eating if u get what I mean .
Original post by Kitty_D

Are you on social media? If so take a break for while honestly with lockdown and everything, opening your phone and seeing “bikini bodies” is the least helpful thing right now .
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Bloating is totally normal it’s sometimes caused by lactose intolerance and normally it’s caused by things like fast food and carbohydrates. Hence why everyone gets bloated . It’s totally normal and and eating less wont help . Please talk to someone you can trust about this situation. I’m not an expert but I’d say definitely don’t skip meals . Try eating healthy stuff to gain your confidence back such as salads and eggs etc these things don’t bloat and so slowly you will start feeling more confident, but please soeak to an expert or a parent . And don’t stop eating carbs. Missing out on meals can cause a range of deficiencies .

I know bloating is normal, I just hated it for so long that I'll pretty much do anything to keep my stomach flat, but thanks for the other advice, I am actually lactose intolerant so that might be a reason I bloat
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Are you on social media? If so take a break for while honestly with lockdown and everything, opening your phone and seeing “bikini bodies” is the least helpful thing right now .

Yeah I am, tiktok got me back into my "not-eating" habits quite quickly, especially the corset trend, that one hit me hard
Reply 8
Speak to your GP.
Original post by Kitty_D
I know bloating is normal, I just hated it for so long that I'll pretty much do anything to keep my stomach flat, but thanks for the other advice, I am actually lactose intolerant so that might be a reason I bloat

Me too I’m lactose intolerant I used to bloat like crazy honestly really bad . I grew out of it . Looking back I probably should have talked to a doctor about it, but I keep it under control by having a balanced meal I still eat carbs and fast food once a week.
Not eating is not going to help in the slightest, all it will do is make you more hungry and more upset

I would recommend joining the gym (whenever they reopen)
I have pretty much always been overweight but once I started going to the gym I began to feel more confident and was able to eat without feeling shame. I really couldn't recommend it more and it's perfectly natural to feel unattractive in a society that promotes stupid influencers and all that crap...
I eat stuff like pasta and lasgne and pizza homemade whenever I feel like it
Reply 12
Original post by Jonathanツ
Not eating is not going to help in the slightest, all it will do is make you more hungry and more upset

I would recommend joining the gym (whenever they reopen)
I have pretty much always been overweight but once I started going to the gym I began to feel more confident and was able to eat without feeling shame. I really couldn't recommend it more and it's perfectly natural to feel unattractive in a society that promotes stupid influencers and all that crap...

"feeling hungry is good thing because you're losing weight" has been said so many times by my dad that it always sticks with me
Original post by Kitty_D
"feeling hungry is good thing because you're losing weight" has been said so many times by my dad that it always sticks with me

Well no offence to your dad but that's the most bullsh*t advice I have ever heard

I'm guessing your young so going on diets and skipping meals is just going to cause more problems than it will solve
As previously mentioned, seeing your GP, talking to an experienced PE teacher and quitting social media are all good advice
Just remember that not eating certain meals is just you punishing yourself and it really is going to do nothing but bad :smile:
Original post by Kitty_D

That’s bad advice you should always listen to your body . Especially if your a teenager because your growing and not eating enough calories can cause deficiencies . Talk to a GP

Quick Reply

Latest