The Student Room Group

A2 chemistry

Help on these two questions for the first one I used the reaction of a 3 plus ion and NH3 the answer is similar to mine but has coefficient of 2 in front I can’t figure out why.the second question the parts on the mark scheme I don’t get are highlighted in blue
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Danyal124
Help on these two questions for the first one I used the reaction of a 3 plus ion and NH3 the answer is similar to mine but has coefficient of 2 in front I can’t figure out why.the second question the parts on the mark scheme I don’t get are highlighted in blue

You have to make aluminium hydroxide, which requires the loss of three protons, and diaminoethane has two basic lone pairs.

Hence, 3 x diaminoethanes can react with 2 x hexaaquaaluminium ions

The second part is ligand substitution.

The diaminoethane is a bidentate ligand and each molecule forms two attachments to the metal cobalt ion.
Reply 3
Original post by charco
The second part is ligand substitution.

The diaminoethane is a bidentate ligand and each molecule forms two attachments to the metal cobalt ion.

could you draw out the molecule for the second question the mark scheme doesn't have a picture of it and i dont know whether i drew it correct alsocould you explain the reaction with the second part with oxygen and oh minus as a product ie what happened there
could you draw out the molecule for the second question the mark scheme doesn't have a picture of it and i dont know whether i drew it correct alsocould you explain the reaction with the second part with oxygen and oh minus as a product ie what happened there

Reply 5
Original post by charco

could you explain the equation in part 2 how do you know the oxidation state goes up when it reacts with o2
Reply 6
Original post by charco
You have to make aluminium hydroxide, which requires the loss of three protons, and diaminoethane has two basic lone pairs.

Hence, 3 x diaminoethanes can react with 2 x hexaaquaaluminium ions

how do you know to make aluminium hydoxide

Quick Reply

Latest