The Student Room Group

Sixth form/A-level options

Chemistry, maths, psychology

Is this a weird combination? Let me know what you think, particularly if you have taken this combo, a similar one, or any of the individual subjects. Also if you did take any of these subjects what did you find hardest about them?
Reply 1
If you enjoy the subjects then it sounds great. Are you interested in any careers right now, and do these subjects benefit them?

I do maths right now and I think it's alright, the content isn't too bad. The hardest part for me is the homework but my schools gives really hard homework and it's designed to be extremely hard to encourage you into asking for help from other students.

I've heard that chemistry is good and people enjoy it. For psychology, apparently the content is interesting but there is a lot of content.
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Original post by AlexaT.

Is this a weird combination? Let me know what you think, particularly if you have taken this combo, a similar one, or any of the individual subjects. Also if you did take any of these subjects what did you find hardest about them?

If they're subjects you want to do, then it sounds like a brilliant combo.

I'm studying Chemistry, Psychology and Biology at the moment. For chemistry, memorising year 13 synthetic routes was probably what I struggled with the most, but if you revise consistently and do practise questions on the content you'll be fine. It's my favourite subject at the moment, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

Psychology is quite content heavy, but its the same outline of things per module e.g. one classic study, one contemporary study, how the module applies to real life e.g. aggression/ crime etc. Again, as long as you make sure you revise topics/ do practise qs etc you'll be fine!

Best of luck!
Original post by AlexaT.

Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

There is no set method to combining different A-levels, it is entirely up to you and what you enjoy studying. Chemistry and maths do compliment themselves as they are both STEM based subjects. Psychology is slightly different, however might be a nice change from math based subjects. I would recommend taking a combination of what you enjoy and are good at. Taking into account what you wish to study or take a career path into.

I hope this helps,
Ethan - UOP Rep

Quick Reply

Latest