The Student Room Group

I'm in a sticky situation

I applied for a full time position in McDonald's but I am only able to work part- time on account of me being at Sixth Form until at least the end of May. I have an interview on the 8th April.

My question is, what should I tell them? Essentially, I've applied for a job I cannot work. I need the money desperately however. Is there anything I can tell them to be able to work part- time if I get the job at all?

I know I sound stupid for doing what I've done but it is what it is.

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
I would be open and let them know asap to save wasting everyone's time. Be prepared for no interview.

The other way to look at it is to go to the interview and then turn the job down and put it down as practice but you won't be working there any time soon.

The lesson here is don't promise what you can't deliver.
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
I would be open and let them know asap to save wasting everyone's time. Be prepared for no interview.

The other way to look at it is to go to the interview and then turn the job down and put it down as practice but you won't be working there any time soon.

The lesson here is don't promise what you can't deliver.

Thanks for the advice. If I tell them the truth, (and I will), do you think they will blacklist my name? I suspect that they will, though you furthered my suspicions in writing, "you won't be working there any time soon".
Reply 3
Original post by Dhjctiv
Thanks for the advice. If I tell them the truth, (and I will), do you think they will blacklist my name? I suspect that they will, though you furthered my suspicions in writing, "you won't be working there any time soon".

I doubt it. But is being blacklisted from a particular McDonalds really such a bad thing? My advice would be to give them a ring today and tell them your situation. Apologise and make an excuse that you thought it was part time or something. You never know. What will upset them is if you go for interview, they make an offer and then you change the terms of the deal.
Original post by Dhjctiv
I applied for a full time position in McDonald's but I am only able to work part- time on account of me being at Sixth Form until at least the end of May. I have an interview on the 8th April.

My question is, what should I tell them? Essentially, I've applied for a job I cannot work. I need the money desperately however. Is there anything I can tell them to be able to work part- time if I get the job at all?

Thank you in advance.

I would phone them up and explain that you will be able to work full time from the end of May but in the meantime, you will need to work part time as you are still at school. It may be May before they expect anyone new to start anyway since they will need to chase up references and some people may need to give a months notice if they are leaving another job.
Original post by Dhjctiv

Thank you in advance.

Make your own establishment, cook home made burgers and sell them, you don’t need them!
Reply 6
Make up something about your studies going well/badly so you need to focus on that more, but you'd still really like to work there part time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending