The Student Room Group

Took a break and now noticing muscle gains! But can’t see due to fat rip

I took a break from my workouts for about 5 days (also overate on chocolate and crisps) during those days. Back on it today and for the first time i rlly noticed muscle gains in my arms! But ngl it just makes my arms look fatter/bigger but not in a nice way because they’re bigger due to muscle but the outer layer is still fat if that makes sense? i’m at a healthy weight so ik recomp in the way to go but like? i’ve built muscle but haven’t lost enough fat to look good aesthetically. anything i can do about this or do i just need to keep pushing? it might just be my body bloating from my carb overload too as my stomach is mahooosive, who knows?
Stop overthinking and trust the process. Is your weight staying the same?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Stop overthinking and trust the process. Is your weight staying the same?

thanks, that’s sometimes i struggle to do lmao! i had a bit of an off week so i’m not looking at the scale for a bit (for my own sanity) but before that i feel like my body was starting to settle at 56/57kg. i’ve reduced cardio too idk if that was a good idea or not?
Original post by 14t
thanks, that’s sometimes i struggle to do lmao! i had a bit of an off week so i’m not looking at the scale for a bit (for my own sanity) but before that i feel like my body was starting to settle at 56/57kg. i’ve reduced cardio too idk if that was a good idea or not?

That could be the reason your arms look displeasing, how do you know your gaining muscle but not losing enough fat when you don't even know your current weight.
If it helps u eat at maintenance then it's fine.
Reply 4
That could be the reason your arms look displeasing, how do you know your gaining muscle but not losing enough fat when you don't even know your current weight.
If it helps u eat at maintenance then it's fine.

oh no i do usually weigh myself and it has been staying the same/occasionally going down by 0.1kg. I’m just not looking at the scale THIS WEEK as during easter weekend i went a bit mad so i’d rather not see the damage (ignorance is bliss). i’ll look in a week lollll
Original post by 14t
oh no i do usually weigh myself and it has been staying the same/occasionally going down by 0.1kg. I’m just not looking at the scale THIS WEEK as during easter weekend i went a bit mad so i’d rather not see the damage (ignorance is bliss). i’ll look in a week lollll

Yea I know but you noticed your arm change this week too which may also just be placebo.
Reply 6
Yea I know but you noticed your arm change this week too which may also just be placebo.

true, guess we’ll see in a week lol
Original post by 14t
true, guess we’ll see in a week lol

Yeap keep going, eat enough protein, sleep well and just wait tbh.
Reply 8
Yeap keep going, eat enough protein, sleep well and just wait tbh.

yh struggling with protein atm but i’ll figure it out
Original post by 14t
yh struggling with protein atm but i’ll figure it out

Meat, whey and dairy are your friends. Also remember most carb products also contain small amounts of protein.
Reply 10
Meat, whey and dairy are your friends. Also remember most carb products also contain small amounts of protein.

thanks!

can i just ask, with TDEE calculators. does weight training count towards activity e.g if i did weight training 3-5times a week and did some light cardio 1-2times week would i put ‘Light Exercise 1-2days a week’ or ‘Moderate Exercise 3-5 days a week’?
Original post by 14t
thanks!

can i just ask, with TDEE calculators. does weight training count towards activity e.g if i did weight training 3-5times a week and did some light cardio 1-2times week would i put ‘Light Exercise 1-2days a week’ or ‘Moderate Exercise 3-5 days a week’?

When it says 1 session, it assumes 1 hour of cardio. Weightlifting burns less than cardio so you have to take that into account. What you are doing is probably moderate if by light you mean LISS but TDEE is just a starting point, if you start gaining weight, you know you have to reduce kcals.

Quick Reply

Latest