The Student Room Group

What revision techniques do you use

Hi, for your revision what techniques do you use?
Reply 1
I think it depends on the subject.

For physics I mainly do flashcards and practice questions / papers, maths I do practice questions and my homework which acts as revision but for history I prefer to do timelines and maybe practice paragraphs sometimes.
Reply 2
Flashcards are always useful (personally my favourite type of revision is flashcards with a question/answer on either side). Especially if there's less than 2 weeks to your exam(s) you should definitely do some past papers (not necessarily timed if you don't have 2 spare hours etc) If there's a lot of content or long quotes you need to learn, recording audiotapes can be helpful (eg with a long quote, record yourself saying a sentence at a time then you can repeat it and gradually learn the whole passage)
Reply 3
Original post by ohnojay
I think it depends on the subject.

For physics I mainly do flashcards and practice questions / papers, maths I do practice questions and my homework which acts as revision but for history I prefer to do timelines and maybe practice paragraphs sometimes.

Ok thanks, my plan is to do a lot of past questions/make my own questions and use active recall :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AlexaT.
Flashcards are always useful (personally my favourite type of revision is flashcards with a question/answer on either side). Especially if there's less than 2 weeks to your exam(s) you should definitely do some past papers (not necessarily timed if you don't have 2 spare hours etc) If there's a lot of content or long quotes you need to learn, recording audiotapes can be helpful (eg with a long quote, record yourself saying a sentence at a time then you can repeat it and gradually learn the whole passage)

Thanks, I've got a topic test after the easter holidays form now until then I'm just going to focus on creating flash cards for topics and focusing on the ones I get wrong :smile:
Original post by Tello
Hi, for your revision what techniques do you use?

Flash cards for vocabulary for french
Ppq, active recall for core
Ppq for maths
Videos and apps are helpful too
for my revision, i:
- make flashcards (question on one side, answer on the other side)
- make my own powerpoints and act as if i'm teaching someone else
- use cue cards (trigger words on flashcards for active recall)
- write everything i can remember about a topic/subtopic on a paper and then with a different colour pen, i write the information i missed
- use past papers
- use pomofocus for pomodoro technique
Reply 7
Original post by chelsea.uri
Flash cards for vocabulary for french
Ppq, active recall for core
Ppq for maths
Videos and apps are helpful too

Hi, thanks for your response :smile: what is Ppg? Thanks
Original post by Tello
Hi, thanks for your response :smile: what is Ppg? Thanks

Past paper questions
np
Reply 9
Original post by aliyahh10
for my revision, i:
- make flashcards (question on one side, answer on the other side)
- make my own powerpoints and act as if i'm teaching someone else
- use cue cards (trigger words on flashcards for active recall)
- write everything i can remember about a topic/subtopic on a paper and then with a different colour pen, i write the information i missed
- use past papers
- use pomofocus for pomodoro technique

Thank you, I'm currently in year 12 and I have been achieving the grades I have been targeted, but I want to aim higher :smile: My normal technique was to make my own posters then re read them, however after rehearing into study techniques I have realised this is not effective. I am going to try a few techniques you have mentioned and see what works :smile: Thanks again!
A have this cool technique called leave it till the last minute..

I can't say it worked brilliantly but technically it worked a bit
Reply 11
Original post by chelsea.uri
Past paper questions
np

Ohh okay thanks, I have a topic test coming up and not a whole paper, therefore cant really do past papers. Would you recommend that I make questions myself form the material and test myself? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Jonathanツ
A have this cool technique called leave it till the last minute..

I can't say it worked brilliantly but technically it worked a bit

ahah I've done the same on many occasions, but I have promised myself to be more prepared when the new term starts xD
Original post by Tello
ahah I've done the same on many occasions, but I have promised myself to be more prepared when the new term starts xD

That's a pretty smart promise
Hello!
My personal method of revision for each topic of a subject (i use this for biology and psychology):
1) read back on notes and make flashcards
2)practise flashcards
3)when comfortable w/flashcards practise past paper questions without notes
4)mark the questions and look at what you got wrong and find out *why*
5)focus on the areas that you got wrong using the same method and you should soon have a good understanding of the topic as a whole
Reply 15
Original post by Squiggles1238
Hello!
My personal method of revision for each topic of a subject (i use this for biology and psychology):
1) read back on notes and make flashcards
2)practise flashcards
3)when comfortable w/flashcards practise past paper questions without notes
4)mark the questions and look at what you got wrong and find out *why*
5)focus on the areas that you got wrong using the same method and you should soon have a good understanding of the topic as a whole

Hi, thanks for the response :smile: I'm definitely going to try making flash cards, they seem to be frequently mentioned. thanks again :smile:
Original post by Tello
Hi, thanks for the response :smile: I'm definitely going to try making flash cards, they seem to be frequently mentioned. thanks again :smile:

thats ok! may i ask what you are studying and at what level?
Original post by Tello
Ohh okay thanks, I have a topic test coming up and not a whole paper, therefore cant really do past papers. Would you recommend that I make questions myself form the material and test myself? :smile:

Yeah you could do that and get someone else to test you as well
You can maybe find questions for the topic online and in textbooks too
Reply 18
Original post by Squiggles1238
thats ok! may i ask what you are studying and at what level?

Business at A-level :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest