The Student Room Group

What grades do I need to get in my last two modules to get a 2.1 altogether?

I am studying a Psychology degree and I have battled issues with my mental health which has prevented me from doing as well as I'd hoped, but would still like to opt for a 2.1 overall.

I was wondering what the minimum grades are I'd need in my last two modules (one standard module, and then my dissertation) to get a 2.1 overall.

Year 2 is worth 20%, Year 3 is worth 80%. Each module is worth 20 credits. The dissertation module is worth 40 credits.

Here are my grades so far for Year 2:

Year 3:
Last module: pending
Dissertation module: pending

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I believe you need around 80% in your final year. That would mean getting an average of 80 in your final module and dissertation module combined. Getting a very high score on your dissertation is imperative, which will make it easier on the other module, since its weighting is double.

Best of luck.
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
I believe you need around 80% in your final year. That would mean getting an average of 80 in your final module and dissertation module combined. Getting a very high score on your dissertation is imperative, which will make it easier on the other module, since its weighting is double.

Best of luck.

Thanks!

So for example what's the lowest possible grade I can get on my last module?

(as usual I've left it to the last minute and it's in on Thursday, fun times!)
Do you got 52% year 2.
And that’s witch 20% so gets you 10.4 marks.

You want 60% overall so need 50 from year 2.
Final year 80% which means you need 62.5% in average. You currently have 60% so need 65% on both to get 62.5% in final year and 60% overall
I think!
Original post by buddhalight6318
I am studying a Psychology degree and I have battled issues with my mental health which has prevented me from doing as well as I'd hoped, but would still like to opt for a 2.1 overall.

I was wondering what the minimum grades are I'd need in my last two modules (one standard module, and then my dissertation) to get a 2.1 overall.

Year 2 is worth 20%, Year 3 is worth 80%. Each module is worth 20 credits. The dissertation module is worth 40 credits.

Here are my grades so far for Year 2:

Year 3:
Last module: pending
Dissertation module: pending

Thanks!

So you needed to average 61.96 in your final year. Your average so far for half the year is 60.3 so between your final module and your disseration you'll need to average around 63.6 assuming my quick calculations aren't too far off :smile:
Not sure where the post above got 80 from, perhaps they were calculating for a first :dontknow: It definitely isn't as high as that as you're nearly averaging a 2:1 already :smile:
Also did your university have a no detriment scheme last year? Depending on the terms of that, you may be able to lose some of your lower scores last year which would mean you don't need quite so much in your final module/disseration :smile:
Gah answer to as lost

You need 65% in last 2 modules to get 62.5% fir that’s year and 60% overall
Original post by Lemur14
So you needed to average 61.96 in your final year. Your average so far for half the year is 60.3 so between your final module and your disseration you'll need to average around 63.6 assuming my quick calculations aren't too far off :smile:
Not sure where the post above got 80 from, perhaps they were calculating for a first :dontknow: It definitely isn't as high as that as you're nearly averaging a 2:1 already :smile:
Also did your university have a no detriment scheme last year? Depending on the terms of that, you may be able to lose some of your lower scores last year which would mean you don't need quite so much in your final module/disseration :smile:

Thanks so much

What's a low detriment scheme?
(I study an online degree via Derby Uni. God knows, considering the amount I pay for this degree I don't get much help!)
Original post by Lemur14

I'm an idiot, I was looking at a first, my bad.

OP, listen to this wise person, not a buffoon like myself.
Original post by Lemur14

I did the full calculations and yes this one is correct. You need average of 63.6 between the dissertation and the other module, but remember that the dissertation is twice the weighting. Anyway you're doing really well and based on this year so far, a 2:1 is definitely possible :smile:
Thanks so much

What's a low detriment scheme?
(I study an online degree via Derby Uni. God knows, considering the amount I pay for this degree I don't get much help!)

No problem :smile:
A no detriment scheme, also sometimes called a safety net policy, is something many unis put in place last academic year to ensure people weren't adversely affected by the sudden changes in assessment last summer due to covid. They vary massively in terms of what they mean for results though, and I would have thought if your course was affected by one then you would have been made aware last summer, so if you don't know what one is then I wouldn't worry about it :smile: Online courses may have been lesser affected so may not have been subject to one :yep:
Original post by Lemur14
No problem :smile:
A no detriment scheme, also sometimes called a safety net policy, is something many unis put in place last academic year to ensure people weren't adversely affected by the sudden changes in assessment last summer due to covid. They vary massively in terms of what they mean for results though, and I would have thought if your course was affected by one then you would have been made aware last summer, so if you don't know what one is then I wouldn't worry about it :smile: Online courses may have been lesser affected so may not have been subject to one :yep:

Ah yes probably not been subjected to one..

So.

Basically the best thing is to aim for around 65% per module in these last two modules!
Ah yes probably not been subjected to one..

So.

Basically the best thing is to aim for around 65% per module in these last two modules!

That would be ideal, or the old just do your best, can't ask for more than that :yep:
Original post by Lemur14
That would be ideal, or the old just do your best, can't ask for more than that :yep:

Thank you!

I've been panicking and worrying so much, even this tiny conversation is giving me some sort of reassurance/easing my anxiety lol
:smile:
Thank you!

I've been panicking and worrying so much, even this tiny conversation is giving me some sort of reassurance/easing my anxiety lol

I'm glad to hear this has helped :hugs: You've got this :jumphug:
Original post by besocansec
I did the full calculations and yes this one is correct. You need average of 63.6 between the dissertation and the other module, but remember that the dissertation is twice the weighting. Anyway you're doing really well and based on this year so far, a 2:1 is definitely possible :smile:

thank you :smile:
Thank you!

As above. Plus have a look at Borderline Consideration in section F14 of this:

https://www.derby.ac.uk/about/academic-regulations/assessment-regulations-for-undergraduate-programmes/

If these regulations apply to your degree (and they might not given the online nature of your degree) then you could well get a 2.1 even if your numerical average falls a little short of 60.
Original post by ageshallnot
As above. Plus have a look at Borderline Consideration in section F14 of this:

https://www.derby.ac.uk/about/academic-regulations/assessment-regulations-for-undergraduate-programmes/

If these regulations apply to your degree (and they might not given the online nature of your degree) then you could well get a 2.1 even if your numerical average falls a little short of 60.

grateful for this, thank you.

will have a look into it.
Original post by Lemur14

Update :

Module results came, I got 62 which is better than I expected!

Any idea what I'd need now in my dissertation to achieve 2.1 overall?
Update :

Module results came, I got 62 which is better than I expected!

Any idea what I'd need now in my dissertation to achieve 2.1 overall?

Congrats :woo: I've only done a quick calculation based on what I calculated before, but I think you'd need 64.4 or so in your dissertation :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Congrats :woo: I've only done a quick calculation based on what I calculated before, but I think you'd need 64.4 or so in your dissertation :smile:

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest