The Student Room Group

Stereotype of Media & Communication Degrees

I really like the subject but do the majority of people just think people doing these degrees are lazy and looking for the easiest degree?

Thoughts?
Totally get you. I'm studying Media and Comms at Loughborough uni (or leeds - not sure yet) in September and it really pisses me off when people dismiss the subject as easy and discredit your intelligence when you say you take it. It's my favourite subject I've ever taken because I find it interesting and enjoyable - what's wrong with that? And the career prospects sounds interesting too. There's so much snobbery in academic environments about Media studies and im sick of it tbh
Original post by lucyhoneyisabel
Totally get you. I'm studying Media and Comms at Loughborough uni (or leeds - not sure yet) in September and it really pisses me off when people dismiss the subject as easy and discredit your intelligence when you say you take it. It's my favourite subject I've ever taken because I find it interesting and enjoyable - what's wrong with that? And the career prospects sounds interesting too. There's so much snobbery in academic environments about Media studies and im sick of it tbh

I'm also want to do media and comms at Loughborough (planning on doing a gap year first) but I don't understand why everyone has this interpretation of the subject. We don't need reminding that it may not be the most job rewarding subject or the degree with the highest salary potential but we are willing to take the risk because we find the subject interesting...

It would be great btw that after around 3 months of your degree you could gimme a dm :smile: as I would love to hear about it.
Reply 3
Original post by Jonathanツ
I really like the subject but do the majority of people just think people doing these degrees are lazy and looking for the easiest degree?

Thoughts?

I looked at that degree along side advertising and communications but because of the bad rep I didn’t pick it , I think it’s because its seen as subject that you can just do in your free time or you can do it it in a more academic subject eg journalism will more than likely cover those things. I think the career prospects are quite low as well but if you love the degree then why not. I wish I had the guts to do my ideal degree but I’ve picked a more academic degree due to career prospects
Original post by Tashax2
I looked at that degree along side advertising and communications but because of the bad rep I didn’t pick it , I think it’s because its seen as subject that you can just do in your free time or you can do it it in a more academic subject eg journalism will more than likely cover those things. I think the career prospects are quite low as well but if you love the degree then why not. I wish I had the guts to do my ideal degree but I’ve picked a more academic degree due to career prospects

Yeah business management at Leeds, lol I remember
Reply 5
Yeah business management at Leeds, lol I remember

Yeah , I wanted to pick this advertising course at leeds Beckett , or anywhere that’s like advertising
N media etc it looks soooo good but too scared lol
Original post by Tashax2
Yeah , I wanted to pick this advertising course at leeds Beckett , or anywhere that’s like advertising
N media etc it looks soooo good but too scared lol

I'm currently debating to do business management next year (btw I'm still waiting from Leeds) which I like because it is obviously good for prospects

Or just taking a gap year and applying to something like straight marketing, media and comms (something like that)
Reply 7
I'm currently debating to do business management next year (btw I'm still waiting from Leeds) which I like because it is obviously good for prospects

Or just taking a gap year and applying to something like straight marketing, media and comms (something like that)

Ooh okay okay , where did you apply n what for again ?
Original post by Tashax2
Ooh okay okay , where did you apply n what for again ?

Leeds, Business Management and Marketing

Thoughts?

Hi,

The most important thing is that you are doing what you enjoy. After all, if you don't enjoy it, you won't stick at it. I would say that it's a great degree to study if you're looking to gain skills in that area but aren't 100% sure which area you want to move into. You will always have people criticising your choices - I even had a course friend say they 'hate' the area that I really enjoyed - so it's important to remember who is giving that opinion, are they saying it because they simply prefer a different topic? Or are they doing something completely different and in which case, they don't really know the value of it.

With some work experience along the way, I think it will open up some great opportunities for you. It's broad and will teach you skills relevant to a range of industries and professions. I did a fairly broad degree and have loved the career opportunities so far.

Best of luck!
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
James
Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest