The Student Room Group

The Pimlico academy protest is pathetic

I can see why people are angry about hairstyles being banned, especially if they are natural ones in afro-carribean children, but this is a national issue. on the other hand, banning headscarfs that are a certain colour isn't really racist is it? My school bans people from wearing coats that aren't navy, black or grey. It's not as if you're being dneied the right to wear a hijab, and even then, it's a bit bold to assume all Muslims will come from a minority background. Furthermore, if you're that triggered by the flag of this country, and i really don't like to say it, but no one is literally forcing you to stay here. These students need to get a grip. The school is not racist. It's one of the mots multicultural schools in the country. The real racist schools are the one's you don't hear about, because there are so few ethnic minorities there, that speaking out would be academic and social su***de. To see these students compare the school's policies to "fascism" is as ignorant as it is outrageous. Maybe its a sign that these kids need to spend less time protesting againts what is essentailly a school uniform policy (pointless, but racist it is not), and more time in the classroom learning about actual fascist and racist regimes, like apartheid south africa, the nazi reich, or mussolini's italy. Oh, and by the way don't accuse me of being racist, i'm not. I was anti-racist before it became popular to be one
ok boomer
*nods* ok boomer
Reply 3
I can see why people are angry about hairstyles being banned, especially if they are natural ones in afro-carribean children, but this is a national issue. on the other hand, banning headscarfs that are a certain colour isn't really racist is it? My school bans people from wearing coats that aren't navy, black or grey. It's not as if you're being dneied the right to wear a hijab, and even then, it's a bit bold to assume all Muslims will come from a minority background. Furthermore, if you're that triggered by the flag of this country, and i really don't like to say it, but no one is literally forcing you to stay here. These students need to get a grip. The school is not racist. It's one of the mots multicultural schools in the country. The real racist schools are the one's you don't hear about, because there are so few ethnic minorities there, that speaking out would be academic and social suicide. To see these students compare the school's policies to "fascism" is as ignorant as it is outrageous. Maybe its a sign that these kids need to spend less time protesting againts what is essentailly a school uniform policy (pointless, but racist it is not), and more time in the classroom learning about actual fascist and racist regimes, like apartheid south africa, the nazi reich, or mussolini's italy. Oh, and by the way don't accuse me of being racist, i'm not. I was anti-racist before it became popular to be one
Original post by fenton484
I can see why people are angry about hairstyles being banned, especially if they are natural ones in afro-carribean children, but this is a national issue. on the other hand, banning headscarfs that are a certain colour isn't really racist is it? My school bans people from wearing coats that aren't navy, black or grey. It's not as if you're being dneied the right to wear a hijab, and even then, it's a bit bold to assume all Muslims will come from a minority background. Furthermore, if you're that triggered by the flag of this country, and i really don't like to say it, but no one is literally forcing you to stay here. These students need to get a grip. The school is not racist. It's one of the mots multicultural schools in the country. The real racist schools are the one's you don't hear about, because there are so few ethnic minorities there, that speaking out would be academic and social suicide. To see these students compare the school's policies to "fascism" is as ignorant as it is outrageous. Maybe its a sign that these kids need to spend less time protesting againts what is essentailly a school uniform policy (pointless, but racist it is not), and more time in the classroom learning about actual fascist and racist regimes, like apartheid south africa, the nazi reich, or mussolini's italy. Oh, and by the way don't accuse me of being racist, i'm not. I was anti-racist before it became popular to be one

I agree with the thing about the hijabs. They only said you shouldn't wear an excessively coloured one, and this applies to many things in schools, like you say with coats, or bags or pencil cases. Whether that should be the case is another matter, but this certainly is not racism and people jumping to that conclusion does not help the cause at all. If only people spent as much time getting angry about things that actually are racist, maybe we would get somewhere.
As for the flag, it's the flag of the country so I don't think it should come as a shock to anyone that it is being displayed in the country. I think people are viewing the flag as representative of a race when why can't it be representative of a country and all the races that live there?
(edited 3 years ago)
If you care to read beyond the headlines, you'll see than around 30 members of staff are quitting this year. That is a huge red flag that there are serious leadership issues within the school that go way beyond flags and hijab colours.
Original post by Contested Claim
If you care to read beyond the headlines, you'll see than around 30 members of staff are quitting this year. That is a huge red flag that there are serious leadership issues within the school that go way beyond flags and hijab colours.

There may well be further issues, but we can only comment on those that we know about, which is what I have done.
I can see why people are angry about hairstyles being banned, especially if they are natural ones in afro-carribean children, but this is a national issue. on the other hand, banning headscarfs that are a certain colour isn't really racist is it? My school bans people from wearing coats that aren't navy, black or grey. It's not as if you're being dneied the right to wear a hijab, and even then, it's a bit bold to assume all Muslims will come from a minority background. Furthermore, if you're that triggered by the flag of this country, and i really don't like to say it, but no one is literally forcing you to stay here. These students need to get a grip. The school is not racist. It's one of the mots multicultural schools in the country. The real racist schools are the one's you don't hear about, because there are so few ethnic minorities there, that speaking out would be academic and social su***de. To see these students compare the school's policies to "fascism" is as ignorant as it is outrageous. Maybe its a sign that these kids need to spend less time protesting againts what is essentailly a school uniform policy (pointless, but racist it is not), and more time in the classroom learning about actual fascist and racist regimes, like apartheid south africa, the nazi reich, or mussolini's italy. Oh, and by the way don't accuse me of being racist, i'm not. I was anti-racist before it became popular to be one

Yours is not a popular opinion I'd imagine, but it is one that I agree with.
Can we take a moment to notice the union, silent of the teachers thrown under the bus in Batley, are all over Pimlico like a tramp on a dropped chip.
Original post by caravaggio2
Can we take a moment to notice the union, silent of the teachers thrown under the bus in Batley, are all over Pimlico like a tramp on a dropped chip.

Unions are not monolithic bodies. Assuming the active union at Pimlico is the same as the one to which the Batley RE teacher belongs, the “shop” and the shop steward are obviously different.

It is inherent in the collective nature of unions that the “industrial” might of unions is only deployed in favour of causes with popular support amongst the membership. Most people who join white collar unions recognise this and join for the HR and legal muscle they deploy. The Batley teacher is almost certainly getting legal help from his union even though they are not out with placards on his behalf.
Reply 10
Original post by caravaggio2

It's disgraceful. You don't pay a union for them to abandon you
I think there is more to this than we have been told. I do think some schools have been overzealous on uniform. The bill going through Parliament about school uniform ought to cover not just the cost and supply, but what schools can insist on.
Bring back the cane !!!
I can see why people are angry about hairstyles being banned, especially if they are natural ones in afro-carribean children, but this is a national issue.

so?
Bring back the cane !!!

Original post by Obolinda
I can see why people are angry about hairstyles being banned, especially if they are natural ones in afro-carribean children, but this is a national issue.

so?

Too bad if they don't like hairstyles being banned but pretending it's some racial issue is racist in itself.

Does this person have a crazy haircut?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Bring back the cane !!!

Too bad if they don't like hairstyles being banned but pretending it's some racial issue is racist in itself.

Does this person have a crazy haircut?

besides from the fact that this does not address my question at all...

I do not know much about the exact rules at this school and I'm not saying that banning afros is inherently done with racism or race in mind. I'm just going off the ban on "afro hairstyles" that may "block people's view"(?? as opposed to a simply a hairstyle that could block someone's view as well, lol) that was reported in the news. but of course there is a racial element to the banning of growing out hair that naturally/typically is found in black people. Me and my black peers have no choice but to have afros grow out of our head. If for some bizarre reason, the hair that naturally comes out of my head is "blocking your view", that's not my problem tbh. The notion that acknowledging this is "racist" is particularly absurd.

download.jpeg
Is this afro "crazy"
(edited 3 years ago)
besides from the fact that this does not address my question at all...

I do not know much about the exact rules at this school and I'm not saying that banning afros is inherently done with racism or race in mind. I'm just going off the ban on "afro hairstyles" that may "block people's view"(?? as opposed to a simply a hairstyle that could block someone's view as well, lol) that was reported in the news. but of course there is a racial element to the banning of growing out hair that naturally/typically is found in black people. Me and my black peers have no choice but to have afros grow out of our head. If for some bizarre reason, the hair that naturally comes out of my head is "blocking your view", that's not my problem tbh. The notion that acknowledging this is "racist" is particularly absurd.

download.jpeg
Is this afro "crazy"

It isn't a very good haircut and if they can't afford to get a proper haircut then there's other issues.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
It isn't a very good haircut and if they can't afford to get a proper haircut then there's other issues.

again failed to address anything particularly relevant to my post. it's literally just her hair as it naturally grows out her head, there's nothing she can do to change that.

Agreed, people like complaining or finding issues when there’s nothing to complain about
again failed to address anything particularly relevant to my post. it's literally just her hair as it naturally grows out her head, there's nothing she can do to change that.

If you are having trouble understanding the concept of haircuts then you should change your name to Obtuse Obolinda.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending