The Student Room Group

pregnancy at 3rd year of medicine

I'm now in my 3rd year of medical school and a few days ago, right before Easter, I found out I'm pregnant. I haven't been to a doctor's yet nor have I spoken to anyone, apart from my boyfriend, about it. We haven't planned it and both of us are not happy about this and I don't really know what to do. I really don't wanna take a break from uni as medicine and medical training take a long time in itself and I don't want to make that even longer for me, but at the same time I'm not sure if it is possible for me to continue my 4th year as normal up until labour (as I believe it's the beginning of pregnancy in my case now) as the majority of the 4th year will involve placements at hospital etc.
I would really love someone to give me some useful advice :/
Original post by Anonymous
I'm now in my 3rd year of medical school and a few days ago, right before Easter, I found out I'm pregnant. I haven't been to a doctor's yet nor have I spoken to anyone, apart from my boyfriend, about it. We haven't planned it and both of us are not happy about this and I don't really know what to do. I really don't wanna take a break from uni as medicine and medical training take a long time in itself and I don't want to make that even longer for me, but at the same time I'm not sure if it is possible for me to continue my 4th year as normal up until labour (as I believe it's the beginning of pregnancy in my case now) as the majority of the 4th year will involve placements at hospital etc.

Would you abort? If I was you I would keep the baby and try to finish this year then maybe take a year out to have the baby do the beginning bit etc. You can always go back to medical school? If you have a family member they could look after the baby. How old are you?
Reply 2
Would you abort? If I was you I would keep the baby and try to finish this year then maybe take a year out to have the baby do the beginning bit etc. You can always go back to medical school? If you have a family member they could look after the baby. How old are you?

I don't think I would abort, but we're currently considering all options tbh. I wouldn't want to take a whole year out if there is any other possibility because as I said I don't really want to prolong this whole process. Well, as I said, I haven't talked to my family yet so I don't know how they'll react and if they will be able to help me take care of the baby, but my boyfriend said he would help as much as he can and he's already graduated from uni. I'm 22
I don't think I would abort, but we're currently considering all options tbh. I wouldn't want to take a whole year out if there is any other possibility because as I said I don't really want to prolong this whole process. Well, as I said, I haven't talked to my family yet so I don't know how they'll react and if they will be able to help me take care of the baby, but my boyfriend said he would help as much as he can and he's already graduated from uni. I'm 22

Are you trolling? Because you don't want to abort and everything is OK then why asking?
Reply 4
Original post by chinesezodiacpig
Are you trolling? Because you don't want to abort and everything is OK then why asking?

I'm basically asking if it is even possible to study at uni and be pregnant and care for a small baby at the same time, no need to be rude :smile:
I'm basically asking if it is even possible to study at uni and be pregnant and care for a small baby at the same time, no need to be rude :smile:

You clearly said you don't want to abort then whats the point of asking? Because most will tell you it's not possible to care for a small baby and study and you are only 22 with a boyfriend, not even a husband or long term partner. Sheesh
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by chinesezodiacpig
You clearly said you don't want to abort then whats the point of asking? Because most will tell you it's not possible to care for a small baby and study and you are only 22 with a boyfriend, not even a husband or long term partner. Sheesh

I don't get what your problem is really, the point of asking is if I should take a break from the degree or not and how realistically it might look like, not for someone to tell me to do abortion when I don't want it
and PS I did say I'm considering all options, not that I'm 100% sure I don't want an abortion so I really don't get what your problem is
I’m sorry, that sounds a really difficult decision :smile: but I am sure whatever you decide will turn out ok (even if you have to take a year out)

I would have an abortion if I was in your position. I know a few people who have had babies at medical but they all needed to take time out and were all older, had partners who could support the family financially and also had supportive extended families to look after the kid.

Well that’s good that your bf has graduated. He could always take care of the baby whilst you’re at uni

Hiya, hope you are coping. It definitely is stressful, make sure to take care of your health. Personally, I think nothing is impossible you can work your way around it, I am sure if you speak to the uni faculty they can be flexible. On placements I think mostly you will be fine doing in specific areas eg with high radiation etc. I am really sorry to hear ppl hear talking about aborting and being so insensitive please do not listen to them and give the child a chance in life. At the moment it might be bit difficult but soon it will be over and you will be overjoyed with your child.
Well that’s good that your bf has graduated. He could always take care of the baby whilst you’re at uni

And how exactly are they supposed to make any money?
Hiya, hope you are coping. It definitely is stressful, make sure to take care of your health. Personally, I think nothing is impossible you can work your way around it, I am sure if you speak to the uni faculty they can be flexible. On placements I think mostly you will be fine doing in specific areas eg with high radiation etc. I am really sorry to hear ppl hear talking about aborting and being so insensitive please do not listen to them and give the child a chance in life. At the moment it might be bit difficult but soon it will be over and you will be overjoyed with your child.

That's just blatantly untrue. Sure it works out for some people but plenty of people regret having children, especially when they have them against their will (usually due to pro-birthers such as yourself). Why do you think so many children end up abused and neglected? If OP genuinely wants to keep her baby then that's fine but acting like everything will be fine and rosy in the end is naive at best and creating a situation of child abuse at worst.
Thank you everyone for your help and opinions :smile:
Thank you everyone for your help and opinions :smile:

No worries, hope it all works out for you :smile:

My mum had me in her first year of nursing and managed to balance everything it wasn’t easy but she did it, it depends how much you want a child I guess

Quick Reply

Latest