The Student Room Group

is there any certificates i can take for oxford university?

i already finished A-levels, is there any good certificates I can take to make my application strong? such as IELTS
Original post by AsKim
i already finished A-levels, is there any good certificates I can take to make my application strong? such as IELTS

You will need to formally apply to Oxford university, submit a personal statement, sit any admissions tests (if applicable) and go to interview if invited.

If you are an international student your English will need to be of a certain standard. Here are Oxford's requirements:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/english-language-requirements

Yes, IELTS is one qualification they will accept but you need to have attained the score specified.

Good luck!
Original post by Oxford Mum
You will need to formally apply to Oxford university, submit a personal statement, sit any admissions tests (if applicable) and go to interview if invited.

If you are an international student your English will need to be of a certain standard. Here are Oxford's requirements:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/english-language-requirements

Yes, IELTS is one qualification they will accept but you need to have attained the score specified.

Good luck!

ah okay thanks!

actually, i've been in the uk for 10 years now and thus no longer an international student. In this case, would I still need to take IELTs? I already did English language at GCSE level, although, is grade 4

also, because of my English level of the time taking GCSE, I believe the GCSEs do not reflect my true ability. Will this be included as extenuating circumstances? I already meet and exceed the entry requirement already for oxford, would this be enough??
Original post by AsKim
ah okay thanks!

actually, i've been in the uk for 10 years now and thus no longer an international student. In this case, would I still need to take IELTs? I already did English language at GCSE level, although, is grade 4

also, because of my English level of the time taking GCSE, I believe the GCSEs do not reflect my true ability. Will this be included as extenuating circumstances? I already meet and exceed the entry requirement already for oxford, would this be enough??

I am not sure if this would be extenuating circumstances, to be honest.

If you have been living in the UK for 10 years, speak English fluently and are a UK student, I don't think they would need any proof of English language proficiency?
Original post by Oxford Mum
I am not sure if this would be extenuating circumstances, to be honest.

If you have been living in the UK for 10 years, speak English fluently and are a UK student, I don't think they would need any proof of English language proficiency?

Quite a few universities do actually - for instance, Imperial has an English Language requirement of a 6 in English Language GCSE.

Some require tests like TOEFL/IELTS if people don't have a 6 in English Language, as this suggests that they might not have a good enough English level to understand the course (even if they've lived in the UK for a long time).
Original post by username11235813
Quite a few universities do actually - for instance, Imperial has an English Language requirement of a 6 in English Language GCSE.

Some require tests like TOEFL/IELTS if people don't have a 6 in English Language, as this suggests that they might not have a good enough English level to understand the course (even if they've lived in the UK for a long time).

Good point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending