The Student Room Group

Depression

Is the word overused or used without people knowing the actual meaning or difference between sadness and depression?

Scroll to see replies

Both 50/50
Some people use the word “depression” to trend(overusing the word), while others use the word without knowing the actual meaning of the word.
Original post by Sharon Iyambo
Both 50/50
Some people use the word “depression” to trend(overusing the word), while others use the word without knowing the actual meaning of the word.

We're saying the same thing lol
I agree though
People need to be more educated on depression and mental health in general tbh
I have no idea what the difference is

Don't you feel sad when you are depressed?
Original post by Jonathanツ
I have no idea what the difference is

Don't you feel sad when you are depressed?

Depression and sadness are two different things
Start from the definitions
Sadness is an emotion.
Depression is a mental state.

Sadly the lines between the two are becoming blurred and society has manipulated depression into a trend.
Depression is sadness, its just when you've felt it for too long
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes, it is.
Original post by Anonymous
Sadness is an emotion.
Depression is a mental state.

Sadly the lines between the two are becoming blurred and society has manipulated depression into a trend.

From a Christian perspective, depression is a spirit

I agree with your last point
So sad and quite annoying coming from someone who has been depressed
Original post by iamthicccccc1405
Depression is sadness, its just when you've felt it for too long

I agree
But it’s not the same thing

If you’re sad you’re not necessarily depressed but depression is a form of sadness
Original post by jenerous
Yes, it is.

What is?
Original post by chelsea.uri
From a Christian perspective, depression is a spirit

I agree with your last point
So sad and quite annoying coming from someone who has been

Unfortunately, one day I do believe it will just be one more synonym for the word sad.
Original post by Anonymous
Unfortunately, one day I do believe it will just be one more synonym for the word sad.

I agree
That’s sad
What is?

"Overused or used without people knowing the actual meaning or difference between sadness and depression".
Although it is tricky since depression, like many of the other mood disorders, is not like a physical illness where you either have it or you don't. Mental health in general is most likely on a spectrum for most of us where the adaptive feelings, like sadness, are at one end of the spectrum which might then be bordering/leading/merging into depression, being on the other end of the spectrum. So it's hard to set a strict guideline on whether you're depressed or sad, outside of medical diagnosis.
Original post by jenerous
"Overused or used without people knowing the actual meaning or difference between sadness and depression".
Although it is tricky since depression, like many of the other mood disorders, is not like a physical illness where you either have it or you don't. Mental health in general is most likely on a spectrum for most of us where the adaptive feelings, like sadness, are at one end of the spectrum which might then be bordering/leading/merging into depression, being on the other end of the spectrum. So it's hard to set a strict guideline on whether you're depressed or sad, outside of medical diagnosis.

Thanks for agreeing with me!

Yeah that’s true

Also we can’t say that someone isn’t depressed because they don’t show symptoms of depression because we don’t know what goes on in their heads
My personal experience is not of it being overused when I come across it being used in conversation with my friends but I do see it being bandied around disproportionately by celebrities.
It's like when people say they're starving.
Original post by ThomH97
It's like when people say they're starving.

Can you elaborate on that please?
Sadness is an emotion

Depression is a mental illness that can be lethal if left untreated long enough
Can you elaborate on that please?

Like someone will be very hungry but say they're starving, even though they just ate that morning.

Quick Reply

Latest