The Student Room Group

think i have borderline personality disorder... what do i do

ik this is stupid but i did a few online tests before and went on nhs website and i show a lot of the symptoms for bpd, i want to see a therapist but i have asian parents and im not sure how to convince them, however i am 18 so there must be a way for me to get one on my own how do i proceed to do it ?

Scroll to see replies

Have you been to the GP?
Are you in England?
Original post by Anonymous
ik this is stupid but i did a few online tests before and went on nhs website and i show a lot of the symptoms for bpd, i want to see a therapist but i have asian parents and im not sure how to convince them, however i am 18 so there must be a way for me to get one on my own how do i proceed to do it ?

i dont knwo what you do becaise the theripest say i am not elegable for terapy but i think i have it as well it says i have a strong indercation of bpd
A therapist can’t make that diagnosis, you will need to speak to your GP (who also can’t make the diagnosis but who will refer you on to mental health services if they think it’s appropriate). Alternatively you can pay for a private diagnosis (either from a ClinPsy or a psychiatrist) but that won’t automatically come with quicker treatment unless you can pay for it.

Treatment for EUPD/BPD is somewhat outwith the scope of a general therapist. At least initially.
Reply 4
It's something which would definitely go via a GP to a Psychiatrist.

An appointment with a GP is a starting point for this.

am i the only one on here without there parents knowing because i got my devises taken away
Reply 6
Original post by GabiAbi84
Have you been to the GP?
Are you in England?

yeah i have been to the gp but its been 5 years since and yeah im in england, idk how to book a gp appointment lol
Reply 7
Original post by jademowry123
i dont knwo what you do becaise the theripest say i am not elegable for terapy but i think i have it as well it says i have a strong indercation of bpd

are you doing dbt ?
Reply 8
Original post by HorribleHatty
A therapist can’t make that diagnosis, you will need to speak to your GP (who also can’t make the diagnosis but who will refer you on to mental health services if they think it’s appropriate). Alternatively you can pay for a private diagnosis (either from a ClinPsy or a psychiatrist) but that won’t automatically come with quicker treatment unless you can pay for it.

Treatment for EUPD/BPD is somewhat outwith the scope of a general therapist. At least initially.

any idea how much a private treatment would be ? ive been to therapy from the nhs before and it wasnt good lol
I have BPD too, and if you have been officially diagnosed by a medical professional, then look into DBT, it will be a long hard road though so make sure you're prepared, best of luck!
Original post by iamthicccccc1405
I have BPD too, and if you have been officially diagnosed by a medical professional, then look into DBT, it will be a long hard road though so make sure you're prepared, best of luck!

are you receiving private treatment or via the nhs
are you receiving private treatment or via the nhs

Private, I think
Private, I think

howd you get the treatment, did you go to ur gp first
howd you get the treatment, did you go to ur gp first

I was in regular therapy before hand, then they diagnosed me and changed me to DBT
any idea how much a private treatment would be ? ive been to therapy from the nhs before and it wasnt good lol

Well there is no “cure” for BPD/EUPD and treatment would be ongoing in some form potentially for the rest of your life. Private treatment would easily run into the thousands. A private psychiatrist or clinpsy appointment to try to get a diagnosis would be hundreds however BPD/EUPD is notoriously difficult to diagnose and if you’ve had no significant dealings with mental health services, and haven’t got a substantial history of accessing your GP for mental health issues, and you’re not currently at a crisis point, then it’s unlikely to be diagnosed in a single appointment.

What exactly is it that’s making you think you have BPD/EUPD? And what are you hoping to achieve from treatment?

ETA - Regardless of any of your answers your starting point should be your GP
(edited 3 years ago)
Private, I think

How can you not know for certain? Are you paying for it?
How can you not know for certain? Are you paying for it?

Nope, i'm a minor lol
Nope, i'm a minor lol

Hmm, and you were diagnosed with BPD? Are your parents paying for treatment? If not, I would assume it is being paid for by the NHS...
Hmm, and you were diagnosed with BPD? Are your parents paying for treatment? If not, I would assume it is being paid for by the NHS...

Yeah I was diagnosed, and yes my parents pay for it
I'd recommend you speak to your GP first, especially about any trauma you've gone through in your life. Trauma disorders can look like EUPD/BPD and might not actually be EUPD/BPD, it's important to not overlook trauma if you've been through any traumatic things.

Quick Reply

Latest