The Student Room Group

Uni application

Hey everyone is it bad if I lied about my household income on my uni application, I am also applying for a scholarship :smile: would I get in trouble for this?

Scroll to see replies

How and where have you lied?
If you are more specific we can advise you better.

Also the question you should be asking is "how should I fix this" rather than "is it bad". You don't need us to tell you that fraud is not exactly the greatest hobby in the world.
It depends on how far off you were from the truth as to how bad it is
Reply 3
I haven’t lied yet, also I’m asking this for my sister because she doesn’t have a student room account, so morally I’m in quite a good place however she wants to lie for some reason? And thanks for your reply 🙂
Original post by bunnyy___
I haven’t lied yet, also I’m asking this for my sister because she doesn’t have a student room account, so morally I’m in quite a good place however she wants to lie for some reason? And thanks for your reply 🙂
Lie where?
Reply 5
I think about household income for like bursary’s
I think about household income for like bursary’s

On where though? student finance, to the universities directly etc.

Well how much would she lie about? Applying for student finance they do ask for legal documents to check your income. I don’t think UCAS does this though but if she wanted a loan to pay the £9250 a year and then the accommodation then they’d catch her out
Reply 8
Original post by Googley_eyes
Well how much would she lie about? Applying for student finance they do ask for legal documents to check your income. I don’t think UCAS does this though but if she wanted a loan to pay the £9250 a year and then the accommodation then they’d catch her out

Thank you I’ll tell her !:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by laurawatt
On where though? student finance, to the universities directly etc.

She said to bursary’s and scholarships?
I'm going to take an educated guess and assume she is intending to commit fraud on her Student Finance application.

This isn't how it works. Your parents will need to submit paperwork AFTER your sister submits the application. That parental input is how household income is measured. Not whatever number your sister puts down.
Reply 11
Original post by 04MR17
I'm going to take an educated guess and assume she is intending to commit fraud on her Student Finance application.

This isn't how it works. Your parents will need to submit paperwork AFTER your sister submits the application. That parental input is how household income is measured. Not whatever number your sister puts down.

The 'commit fraud' is making me laugh 😂 Its not like we’re super rich trying to avoid tax and things shes simply trying to not be in debt
Anyways thanks so much for your help :smile:)
The 'commit fraud' is making me laugh 😂 Its not like we’re super rich trying to avoid tax and things shes simply trying to not be in debt

It’s still fraud though no matter how much you lie by :dontknow:
Debt is inevitable with university finance. I am over £70k in debt. I have no intention of paying the majority of it back and what is left to pay when I am 48 years old will be wiped. Student debt is very different to conventional debt and your sister needs to be aware of this so that she doesn't (a) break the law and (b) give herself less money in the process
She said to bursary’s and scholarships?

Bursaries often refer to your student finance income assessment, so you can't try and fraudulently claim more of them than you are entitled to - they have thresholds so that the most in need students can access them, not those who would need to lie to qualify for them.
Reply 15
Original post by laurawatt
It’s still fraud though no matter how much you lie by :dontknow:

I get what you mean, it doesn’t make it right obviously
I am simply just implying that the education system should not benefit rich people only, and I feel like not everyone can see the situation from our point of view and understand that she’s not lying to steal anyone’s money or anything, just get a better education 🙂
Hopefully you can kind of see why I was a bit sad at the phrase😂 xx
Reply 16
Original post by 04MR17
Debt is inevitable with university finance. I am over £70k in debt. I have no intention of paying the majority of it back and what is left to pay when I am 48 years old will be wiped. Student debt is very different to conventional debt and your sister needs to be aware of this so that she doesn't (a) break the law and (b) give herself less money in the process

I’ll try to convince her not to as I feel like student debt is pretty unavoidable 😂 and thanks so much for your replies:smile:!
I get what you mean, it doesn’t make it right obviously
I am simply just implying that the education system should not benefit rich people only, and I feel like not everyone can see the situation from our point of view and understand that she’s not lying to steal anyone’s money or anything, just get a better education 🙂
Hopefully you can kind of see why I was a bit sad at the phrase😂 xx
By lying, your sister would only be robbing herself of her own entitlement. The student finance loans system was deliberately designed to allow everyone to attend higher education, not just those who could afford it. I would agree with you that isn't sad your sister is considering breaking the law to make herself poorer.
Reply 18
Original post by Interea
Bursaries often refer to your student finance income assessment, so you can't try and fraudulently claim more of them than you are entitled to - they have thresholds so that the most in need students can access them, not those who would need to lie to qualify for them.

Thanks so much:smile:)
I’ll try to convince her not to as I feel like student debt is pretty unavoidable 😂 and thanks so much for your replies:smile:!

Play her this video:
https://youtu.be/mO_rAsMuAlM

Quick Reply

Latest