The Student Room Group

What career pathway should I choose out of these two?

I already struggled to pick between A Levels and a college course at the time, but I decided 2 years ago to try college. Unfortunately, the coronavirus has severely disrupted my course and despite probably getting a pass on the course and getting my qualification, I don’t feel like i have learnt really the skills needed for the job path I was heading for, which was something in the beauty industry. But this brings me to another problem- I was never really sure if that’s what I wanted to do. Don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed the course and I would be tempted to continue up to the next level to get further in the course.
I always wanted to be a psychologist since I was younger, and lately I’ve been really tempted to try A Levels to follow the pathway to become a psychologist (Id probably pick psychology, biology and maybe something like sociology or criminology). Another reason for this is because I feel like doing beauty isn’t really pushing me hard enough, I find it quite easy and not really challenging and I never feel like I’ve been rewarded when finishing a topic or something because I didn’t have to try, and I do like the feeling of working hard to success. On the other hand, I’m crap at handling stress and huge workloads and I think that A Levels might make me crumble.
It’s a dilemma because both have pros and cons and I can’t decide between the two. Continue with the course I’m doing now, even though I’m kinda unsure on if I really want to be a beautician and I don’t really have the skill set because of rona, or try something completely different that might turn out more stressful even though it was something I’ve thought about for a while?
Grrrrr I just wanted to see if other people had ever had a similar problem or what other people think would work out best, feel free to ask me any questions and that
Someone once told me that if you're not going to try your hardest, then what's the point

I'm going to do physics with a foundation year next year

I have no math/science-related A-Levels, Did super easy subjects like media and graphics, have only grade 5's at GCSE, and have always struggled with maths... I'm still doing it though
(edited 3 years ago)
Would you be interested in doing psychology at university? You could perhaps finish your college course then do a uni course with a foundation year so you get the context that you need without having to do A-Levels. I just looked up the university of Derby (it was the first uni that came to mind) and they offer psychology with a foundation year if you have 72 UCAS points, which is equivalent to a MPP (I assume your course is a BTEC?) with no specific subject requirements. I'm in Y13 doing A-Levels at the moment and while they do give you greater opportunity with applying to uni or apprenticeships, I've found them to be very stressful and they're just not for me at all so I'd avoid them when possible.
Reply 3
Original post by Jonathanツ
Someone once told me that if you're not going to try your hardest, then what's the point

I'm going to do physics with a foundation year next year

I have no math/science-related A-Levels, Did super easy subjects like media and graphics, have only grade 5's at GCSE, and have always struggled with maths... I'm still doing it though

Yeah, I feel like in one way I’m wasting my time. In another way it’s kinda great it comes so easy to me but I’ve just never felt 100% with it. I actually got pretty decent GCSEs (6s and 7s) and my school were pretty annoyed I decided to do beauty tbh. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with the course and I’m not implying that idiots do the course, but it is pretty easy to pick up on the skills
Original post by Katakova
Yeah, I feel like in one way I’m wasting my time. In another way it’s kinda great it comes so easy to me but I’ve just never felt 100% with it. I actually got pretty decent GCSEs (6s and 7s) and my school were pretty annoyed I decided to do beauty tbh. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with the course and I’m not implying that idiots do the course, but it is pretty easy to pick up on the skills

Exactly

University costs £9250 a year (not including maintenance) and all the courses cost the same price. So why on earth would you pay for something you can learn from Google? I wanted to do media and communications but the fact is that the skills and value of the degree aint on power with others which teach skills that are difficult to learn anywhere else..
Reply 5
Original post by dicotyledon
Would you be interested in doing psychology at university? You could perhaps finish your college course then do a uni course with a foundation year so you get the context that you need without having to do A-Levels. I just looked up the university of Derby (it was the first uni that came to mind) and they offer psychology with a foundation year if you have 72 UCAS points, which is equivalent to a MPP (I assume your course is a BTEC?) with no specific subject requirements. I'm in Y13 doing A-Levels at the moment and while they do give you greater opportunity with applying to uni or apprenticeships, I've found them to be very stressful and they're just not for me at all so I'd avoid them when possible.

I’d never even heard of that tbh- I always wanted to go to uni but unfortunately i would never be able to afford it even with my families help :/ but that does sound pretty cool. My course is a NVQ level 2 so id probably have to do the level 3 first to get the UCAS points anyways. Yeah, I’ve heard they’re pretty stressful and I’m already having stress management treatment so that probably wouldn’t be the best for me, but at the same time they are pretty useful to have. In what ways is it stressful? Thx for ur advice btw :biggrin:
I’d never even heard of that tbh- I always wanted to go to uni but unfortunately i would never be able to afford it even with my families help :/ but that does sound pretty cool. My course is a NVQ level 2 so id probably have to do the level 3 first to get the UCAS points anyways. Yeah, I’ve heard they’re pretty stressful and I’m already having stress management treatment so that probably wouldn’t be the best for me, but at the same time they are pretty useful to have. In what ways is it stressful? Thx for ur advice btw :biggrin:

Have you ever heard of student finance?

It literally benefits those most who come from low-income households
Reply 7
Exactly

University costs £9250 a year (not including maintenance) and all the courses cost the same price. So why on earth would you pay for something you can learn from Google? I wanted to do media and communications but the fact is that the skills and value of the degree aint on power with others which teach skills that are difficult to learn anywhere else..

Yeah it’s so expensive and I wouldn’t ever be able to afford it, but sadly to work towards something like psychology they pretty much expect u to have a degree now which is annoying. I’d be tempted to teach me the entire thing myself if anyone would believe that I actually had learnt the right stuff but nobody probs would
Reply 8
Have you ever heard of student finance?

It literally benefits those most who come from low-income households

Yep, and I’ve tried for it but I literally JUST slip out of the range. It’s households under £32,000 I’m pretty sure and my parents are on, like, £35,000 or something. My college wouldn’t let me have it anyways
Yep, and I’ve tried for it but I literally JUST slip out of the range. It’s households under £32,000 I’m pretty sure and my parents are on, like, £35,000 or something. My college wouldn’t let me have it anyways

Nah there like additional tax these days, you don't have to pay any of your lone till you start earning over £27k or something

Please watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO_rAsMuAlM&ab_channel=MoneySavingExpert.com
Reply 10

Your college couldn't stop you getting finance for University if you were eligible.

I'd recommend speaking to your college about student finance- everyone is eligible but depending on your parent's income you may get a greater or smaller loan as they assume your parents would be able to cover some of the living expenses such as food etc. You don't have to actually start paying the loan back until you start earning a certain amount (around £27,000), and if your parents are still unable to provide some living costs then there are things that can still be done. Either way, money is not a barrier to university nowadays.
I take Biology, Physics and Geography and the main cause of my stress was the prospect of exams, as I'm not the best at revising and there is a LOT of content you have to remember and fully understand. Biology isn't too difficult, there is just a lot to remember and lots of key words and processes you have to know. I've heard Psychology isn't too bad either, but once again there is a lot of content to remember plus there are essay-style questions you have to answer so it depends if that's your thing. I'm not sure about what those other subjects are like. But if there is a way for you to get into a course that you like and are certain about that doesn't require A-Levels, then I'd say save yourself the stress and try an alternate way. A foundation year at uni covers a lot of the A-Level content, so you would be in solid grounds when you actually start the degree.
Reply 12
Original post by dicotyledon
I'd recommend speaking to your college about student finance- everyone is eligible but depending on your parent's income you may get a greater or smaller loan as they assume your parents would be able to cover some of the living expenses such as food etc. You don't have to actually start paying the loan back until you start earning a certain amount (around £27,000), and if your parents are still unable to provide some living costs then there are things that can still be done. Either way, money is not a barrier to university nowadays.
I take Biology, Physics and Geography and the main cause of my stress was the prospect of exams, as I'm not the best at revising and there is a LOT of content you have to remember and fully understand. Biology isn't too difficult, there is just a lot to remember and lots of key words and processes you have to know. I've heard Psychology isn't too bad either, but once again there is a lot of content to remember plus there are essay-style questions you have to answer so it depends if that's your thing. I'm not sure about what those other subjects are like. But if there is a way for you to get into a course that you like and are certain about that doesn't require A-Levels, then I'd say save yourself the stress and try an alternate way. A foundation year at uni covers a lot of the A-Level content, so you would be in solid grounds when you actually start the degree.

That’s really good advice, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest