The Student Room Group

parents

I'm 19 and my dad never lets me do anything. Everything I do is either gay or its what woman do. He loves taken my phone and makes excuses to take it why? idk , and when something sticks in this head he wont let it go. He loves taking my happiness for his pleasure bc his dad did it to him.
any advice
Move out / go to uni
Save up as much money as you can so that you will be able to move out.
Sadly parents that are habitual bullies, controlling, sadistic, violent or toxic towards their children will never change.
The cycle will only end when you break it, usually by moving away with no forwarding address and significantly reducing all contact.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
Save up as much money as you can so that you will be able to move out.
Sadly parents that are habitual bullies, controlling, sadistic, violent or toxic towards their children will never change.
The cycle will only end when you break it, usually by moving away with no forwarding address and significantly reducing all contact.

the thing is he wont let me move out unless hes dead, my mum will tho
Original post by Anonymous
the thing is he wont let me move out unless hes dead, my mum will tho

Don't ask him for permission, let him know in advance or provide him with your new address after you go.
I didn't.
Good luck!
Reply 5
Your Dad can only wield power over you if you let him. There's absolutely no way he should be confiscating your phone as you're officially an adult. As for him calling you names, belittling you, I'd just try to ignore him. If he gets a reaction, he'll do it all the more, whereas if you don't react, he won't get the attention and gratification he's seeking. Like Londonmyst says, just save up and leave. He sounds a nightmare!
Reply 6
Original post by Debs25
Your Dad can only wield power over you if you let him. There's absolutely no way he should be confiscating your phone as you're officially an adult. As for him calling you names, belittling you, I'd just try to ignore him. If he gets a reaction, he'll do it all the more, whereas if you don't react, he won't get the attention and gratification he's seeking. Like Londonmyst says, just save up and leave. He sounds a nightmare!

thanks for the advice. In my culture there no such thing as an adult unless your married.
thanks for the advice. In my culture there no such thing as an adult unless your married.

Get married ASAP! worked for me.
Move out.

At 19 you can vote, drive a car, marry, join the Military, hold a tenancy, have a kid, attend University, take up a job, etc etc etc - none of this requires parental permission.

1. Find a place
2. Pack a bag and move in
3. Tell your dad you moved out because he makes you miserable/want to be more independent/you'll stay in touch
4. Invite your mum round for dinner
Reply 9

I'm so sorry for my ignorance re your culture. I wish you all the best and hope that you can soon escape the toxic environment that you find yourself in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending