The Student Room Group

Are GCSE grade requirements flexible at uni?

I'm looking on studying finance at uni, however I'm pretty certain I'm going to get a grade 5 in maths wheres most unis require a grade 6. Will unis be flexible and allow me to do the course even if i get 3 A stars?

Scroll to see replies

It is very dependent on each uni, it is worth looking at the uni/s you would be applying for and seeing if they allow any lower. It also depends on if those unis are competitive/russell group unis as those would most likely want the 6 but others who are just as good might allow a 5
The GCSE requirements are usually there because they want you to have prior knowledge of content so they know you can succeed on the course. I also got a 5 and am always annoyed at how many universities require a 6. Especially if you did the foundation paper.... you were screwed long before the exam. You should contact the admissions team and ask.. they will know if it is worth applying or not (but remember you will be at a slight disadvantage)
Broadly speaking, no. If you don’t meet the requirement you should check with them directly before applying. Otherwise you could potentially be wasting a choice.
Unless one of your A levels is Maths and therefore you can meet the requirement with that, then No, Unis will not be flexible as GCSEs are about core skills needed for successful completion of the degree. If you apply without the right GCSE Maths grade you will make the Admissions team's job very easy - rejection.

Either retake the GCSE to get a higher grade - or look at another course.
Well if one of your predicted A*s is in maths then sure. If not then forget it. You will get screened out before the admissions tutor even reads your personal statement or reads the college reference.

Consider retaking maths GCSE in year 12 and bump it up.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mike23mike
Well if one of your predicted A*s is in maths then sure. If not then forget it. You will get screened out before the admissions tutor even reads your personal statement or reads the college reference.

Consider retaking maths GCSE in year 12 and bump it up.

I think to increase my chances I'll have to retake maths, it's annoying because then i have to balance the other A_Level subjects I'm doing which makes it even more difficult.
Original post by McGinger
Unless one of your A levels is Maths and therefore you can meet the requirement with that, then No, Unis will not be flexible as GCSEs are about core skills needed for successful completion of the degree. If you apply without the right GCSE Maths grade you will make the Admissions team's job very easy - rejection.

Either retake the GCSE to get a higher grade - or look at another course.

I was gonna say universities could be more flexible with the grades because of coronavirus but I don't think that would be the case with a good uni. The finance industry is already competitive and I thin the only thing I can do right now is retake maths even though I really don't want to.
Original post by Abdul ELtahir
I think to increase my chances I'll have to retake maths, it's annoying because then i have to balance the other A_Level subjects I'm doing which makes it even more difficult.

I dont know what to say to make it less painful. Maths is kinda critical for someone keen to undertake a finance degree.
I dont know what to say to make it less painful. Maths is kinda critical for someone keen to undertake a finance degree.

Yh and coming to find that out has been painful as well, I'm emailing the admissions team at loughborough university and see what they say about this. I'll make sure to mention how coronavirus has impacted the GCSE grades and if they should be favoured as much. Do you know what you want to study at uni yet?

Can’t believe no one else has picked up on this tbh, I deal with corporate finance at work and it’s not really for the bad-at-maths.
Original post by HorribleHatty
Can’t believe no one else has picked up on this tbh, I deal with corporate finance at work and it’s not really for the bad-at-maths.

Some unis only require a level 6 in maths at GCSE and not A-Level, I was thinking maybe they could be more lenient with the grade due to coronavirus, lockdown started when i was barely half way trough year 10 and now im in year 11 having just experienced another 3 month lockdown, it's been a little tough but I'm pretty sure that I want a career in finance.
the only thing I can do right now is retake maths even though I really don't want to.

1) how badly do you want to work in Finance.
2) Ii you don't like Maths, think of a different career.
Original post by McGinger
1) how badly do you want to work in Finance.
2) Ii you don't like Maths, think of a different career.

I actually really like maths I was just saying it would be difficult to resit maths in sixth form whilst doing three A-Level subjects. I absolutely want a career in finance I feel like it's an industry where I can thrive in.
Some unis only require a level 6 in maths at GCSE and not A-Level, I was thinking maybe they could be more lenient with the grade due to coronavirus, lockdown started when i was barely half way trough year 10 and now im in year 11 having just experienced another 3 month lockdown, it's been a little tough but I'm pretty sure that I want a career in finance.

The issue with this excuse is that everyone else is in the same boat.

You might be able to make it up by taking a relevant A Level - Accounting, Business, or Economics. What A Levels were you planning on taking?
Generally, as indicated above, universities are very inflexible on GCSE requirements and these tend to be hard requirements. If you don't meet these requirements it is usually grounds for immediate rejection. If you do get a 5 in GCSE Maths and the course(s) you plan to study then I would recommend you start making plans to retake the GCSE during 6th form (in year 12 would probably be the best timing so as to avoid any potential exam clashes in year 13).
The issue with this excuse is that everyone else is in the same boat.

You might be able to make it up by taking a relevant A Level - Accounting, Business, or Economics. What A Levels were you planning on taking?

I'm planning on taking Economics, Maths and Sociology. I can agree with that I didn't think of it like that before and I can see why you'd think that.
If you’re taking Economics and Maths I actually reckon you’ll be alright as long as you get good grades. Resitting might still be the safe option though!
If you’re taking Economics and Maths I actually reckon you’ll be alright as long as you get good grades. Resitting might still be the safe option though!

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it! And yes I i will retake if I want to have a better at chance at breaking into finance. Thanks a lot again!
I'm planning on taking Economics, Maths and Sociology. I can agree with that I didn't think of it like that before and I can see why you'd think that.

Most colleges require at least grade 6 sometimes to take A level Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending