The Student Room Group

My boyfriends parents are racist.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sufys12
Deleted that post. That's probably the least common race gender combination, and there's likely a reason for that...

What the hell! Literally seen bares asian guys and black girls together.
Original post by 2021 Doomsday
Okay.

If you don’t have any response or advice, scroll.
Original post by Wannabevetnurse

LOL I've NEVER seen that. Where in the UK are you?
Original post by sufys12
LOL I've NEVER seen that. Where in the UK are you?

London
Original post by Anonymous
If you don’t have any response or advice, scroll.

Okay.
London

What part? I'm from South London and have never seen this.

Though I still doubt that that belittles my statement... It's likely still the rarest racial+gender combination.
Original post by sufys12

North London
Original post by sufys12

London is so culturally diverse that is not believable but I think your avatar say it all.
Original post by harrysbar
London is so culturally diverse that is not believable but I think your avatar say it all.

What do you mean, 'my avatar says it all'?
Original post by sufys12
What do you mean, 'my avatar says it all'?

union jack
Original post by harrysbar
union jack

Yes, what about it?
I see my comment was reported. 😂
I see my comment was reported. 😂

Wasn’t reported by me, but you still come back to announce this?
Wasn’t reported by me, but you still come back to announce this?

Just wanted to let the person who reported me know what that I am not at all bothered about being reported. :biggrin:
It's typical I'd say. I don't know many Chinese folk (I count maybe 3 in my repertoire) but all of them have surprisingly complained to me about something similar to this, with their parents going absolutely nuts when they brought home someone who isn't also Chinese. Lord help you if they're Korean, and one poor girl brought home an Indian man and was almost disowned, or at least that's what she made it sound like.

None of them stuck with their partners and always broke it off. That's just how family is over there, it's inseverable usually unless you're willing to totally go it alone and let your family abandon you. Some families are more cool about it (younger ones) and even happy with the idea, but it seems to be a recurring theme, at least in my book. It varies culture to culture but in my (again, limited and non-local experience, I'm not Asian, I'm a white dude who just has mostly East-Asian friends) knowledge that's how it is.

Edit: that being said, if you after some casual stuff, just don't let 'em tell their parents. GO FOR IT AND GO TO TOWN! ;D
(edited 3 years ago)
Just wanted to let the person who reported me know what that I am not at all bothered about being reported. :biggrin:

You obviously care enough to announce it on the thread, you seem pretty bothered to me.
You obviously care enough to announce it on the thread, you seem pretty bothered to me.

You're wrong, I merely wished to post this.
Original post by Callicious
It's typical I'd say. I don't know many Chinese folk (I count maybe 3 in my repertoire) but all of them have surprisingly complained to me about something similar to this, with their parents going absolutely nuts when they brought home someone who isn't also Chinese. Lord help you if they're Korean, and one poor girl brought home an Indian man and was almost disowned, or at least that's what she made it sound like.

None of them stuck with their partners and always broke it off. That's just how family is over there, it's inseverable usually unless you're willing to totally go it alone and let your family abandon you. Some families are more cool about it (younger ones) and even happy with the idea, but it seems to be a recurring theme, at least in my book. It varies culture to culture but in my (again, limited and non-local experience, I'm not Asian, I'm a white dude who just has mostly East-Asian friends) knowledge that's how it is.

Edit: that being said, if you after some casual stuff, just don't let 'em tell their parents. GO FOR IT AND GO TO TOWN! ;D

I’m not the “casual” type of girl, I like meaningful relationships, long term ones.
Reply 39
So me and my boyfriend started off as friends at Uni in like 2019, and then eventually started dating a few months later, ever since then we’ve been inseparable and we really really love each other, like so much. He’s Asian (Chinese) and I’m Black. Initially, his parents (according to him) didn’t pay much mind and were dismissive of the fact that he was dating me, a black person. As our relationship progressed, so did their attention and aggression towards me being black. He’s told me that they have convinced him to break up with me BECAUSE I am Black and ask him “how long will you be dating her for” as if I’m some kind of experiment. His mother has continuously said (to him) that “she’s black, you shouldn’t be dating her, what will people think, I didn’t think you’d disgrace us like this” etc. and some other really nasty things. His parents refuse to see me, after my boyfriend brought up the idea of introducing me to them. My boyfriend does love his parents and I’d never wanna get in the way of him and his parents nor would I want him to pick between me and his family but I don’t know what to do. His parents despise me but I really love him and I would just hate to picture a future where he’s disconnected from his family because of ME.

Has anyone been in this situation before?

I really don’t know what to do, breaking up with him sounds like the last thing I’d wanna do in this situation but what do you guys think? What should I do?

sad to say this but you should of expected it with them being east asian..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending