The Student Room Group

Need advice

I'm looking to move out to the UK. I currently live in South Africa but feel there isn't much potential here. I have always sought out to move to the UK as it looks so much better overall. I want to move out next year (grade 10) for South Africa and then go to college there. I want to live there and return to South Africa for holidays to meet up with my family. Reasons for wanting to move there are a better community, overall safety, better education. Please can someone help me decide if it's even worth looking at? I have the money for college even more than needed.

Scroll to see replies

It's not perfect but I do love the UK. Your reasons all sound very understandable and I think it's definitely worth looking at. The only concern I would say is the huge price of houses, living in general. But it is a great country. I have a friend who moved from South Africa and she definitely prefers it here!
Reply 2
Original post by danhardy.92
It's not perfect but I do love the UK. Your reasons all sound very understandable and I think it's definitely worth looking at. The only concern I would say is the huge price of houses, living in general. But it is a great country. I have a friend who moved from South Africa and she definitely prefers it here!

Would it be worth looking to get a scholarship? I have around 10000 pounds saved up by my family that I would've gone to university here, I can try to get a job and pay off the fees like rent and groceries?
Original post by Distinky
Would it be worth looking to get a scholarship? I have around 10000 pounds saved up by my family that I would've gone to university here, I can try to get a job and pay off the fees like rent and groceries?

If you think you could - definitely! Any scheme to save money is a good scheme. That is a good chunk of savings, I don't have a massive clue about finances but most university courses cost £9,250 a year and accommodation ranges from around £3,000 to £8,000 a year. These fees can mostly all be paid in student loans, but a small chunk of money is necessary to keep you afloat. I definitely think you are in a good position, give it a look!
Reply 4
If you think you could - definitely! Any scheme to save money is a good scheme. That is a good chunk of savings, I don't have a massive clue about finances but most university courses cost £9,250 a year and accommodation ranges from around £3,000 to £8,000 a year. These fees can mostly all be paid in student loans, but a small chunk of money is necessary to keep you afloat. I definitely think you are in a good position, give it a look!

See one of the main problems is my dad thinks that I'll just go there and do nothing where it's completely different. I want to go there to pursue my dreams and actually go to a good college. So I'll definitely look into it further but I'm going to struggle to get the information on how to get student loans etc.
See one of the main problems is my dad thinks that I'll just go there and do nothing where it's completely different. I want to go there to pursue my dreams and actually go to a good college. So I'll definitely look into it further but I'm going to struggle to get the information on how to get student loans etc.

If ur around year 10/11 age u have plenty of time to ask ur teachers if u come over here about student loans and the best possible course for ur future. To convince ur dad, I have no advice but don’t stop trying. I’m sure he loves u and if u show him that this is the best way for u to reach ur full potential. Just keep trying until he has to give in
Reply 6
I'm looking to move out to the UK. I currently live in South Africa but feel there isn't much potential here. I have always sought out to move to the UK as it looks so much better overall. I want to move out next year (grade 10) for South Africa and then go to college there. I want to live there and return to South Africa for holidays to meet up with my family. Reasons for wanting to move there are a better community, overall safety, better education. Please can someone help me decide if it's even worth looking at? I have the money for college even more than needed.

How old are you?

One hurdle you need to think about is whether you would need a particular kind of visa for what you have in mind.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
How old are you?

One hurdle you need to think about is whether you would need a particular kind of visa for what you have in mind.

As of now, I am 15. I turn 16 next year, the year I (plan) to move. I will definitely need some sort of visa.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
If ur around year 10/11 age u have plenty of time to ask ur teachers if u come over here about student loans and the best possible course for ur future. To convince ur dad, I have no advice but don’t stop trying. I’m sure he loves u and if u show him that this is the best way for u to reach ur full potential. Just keep trying until he has to give in

I am currently in year 9 which makes me 15. I plan to move in year 10 (16)

OP won’t get student loans for tuition or maintenance if they’re an international student though
Reply 10
As of now, I am 15. I turn 16 next year, the year I (plan) to move. I will definitely need some sort of visa.

https://www.gov.uk/student-visa
Reply 11

Who could I ask to get all these kinds of info for me?
Reply 12
Who could I ask to get all these kinds of info for me?

You don't need to, it's something you can sort out for yourself.

The first thing you would need to do would be to secure a place at an acceptable school/college.

I would assume that you would be joining something like a 6th form to take A Levels.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Kerzen
You don't need to, it's something you can sort out for yourself.

The first thing you would need to do would be to secure a place at an acceptable school/college.

I would assume that you would be joining something like a 6th form to take A Levels.

Yes I'd study from age 16 to age 18. I'll see if I can get the visa info and everything into a document.
Reply 14
Yes I'd study from age 16 to age 18. I'll see if I can get the visa info and everything into a document.

Do you have any existing connections to the UK?
Reply 15
Original post by Kerzen
Do you have any existing connections to the UK?

No, I believe I had some family that lived there a few years back but they moved back to south africa
OP, as you have described above when you plan to move you will be 16 so you are underage, do you plan to move alone or with someone who can be your guardian .Do you have someone in the UK who can be your guardian?
Reply 17
I might have there who could be my gaudian for some months. My parents might stay for some time. Not sure.
Reply 18
I might have there who could be my gaudian for some months. My parents might stay for some time. Not sure.

Something which would probably be viable would be boarding school, but your parents would need to pay fairly hefty fees to make that possible.
Reply 19
Original post by Kerzen
Something which would probably be viable would be boarding school, but your parents would need to pay fairly hefty fees to make that possible.

I dont know. It all comes down to the amount of money available. I will need some sort of decent paying job then seeing as a fairly decent apartment is 500 a month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending