The Student Room Group

Need advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Distinky
I might have there who could be my gaudian for some months. My parents might stay for some time.

One option I can suggest to you is staying in a boarding school

Original post by Kerzen
Something which would probably be viable would be boarding school, but your parents would need to pay fairly hefty fees to make that possible.

That's what I was gonna suggest as well because if you want to live yourself like rent a house can be quite difficult as you are under 18 and as you said your parents might stay for some time .Being under 18 puts a lot of restrictions as you need someone to be there like most of the time and be your guardian .
(edited 3 years ago)
I dont know. It all comes down to the amount of money available. I will need some sort of decent paying job then seeing as a fairly decent apartment is 500 a month.

Where do you plan to move like which part of UK ?
Reply 22
Original post by CrystalRose17
Where do you plan to move like which part of UK ?

Liverpool
Reply 23
One option I can suggest to you is staying in a boarding school

That's what I was gonna suggest as well because if you want to live yourself like rent a house can be quite difficult as you are under 18 and as you said your parents might stay for some time .Being under 18 puts a lot of restrictions as you need someone to be there like most of the time and be your guardian .

I'd rent an apartment and from a quick google search it looked like legal age to live alone is 16
Reply 24
Liverpool

I think that you need to talk to your parents about your plans.

This is a very good school in the North West of England.

https://www.rossall.org.uk/school-life/boarding/#
Liverpool

So you need to consider :
You want a 500 rent apartment and a decent paying job.
But as you will be 16 you should be in year 11 having gcses and have to go to school 5 days a week you will only get weekends off so work only on weekends considering you are a student with having to sit gcse exams that year is not easy to find a decent paying job and even if you find one they pay you the minimum wage I think .
Also to rent an apartment you should need someone to do it for you you can't rent it on your own name as you are under 18.
Reply 26
Original post by Kerzen
I think that you need to talk to your parents about your plans.

This is a very good school in the North West of England.

https://www.rossall.org.uk/school-life/boarding/#

Talked to them, dad thinks I want to go there and do no school. So I just have to get a good plan together and showcase it.
Reply 27
Talked to them, dad thinks I want to go there and do no school. So I just have to get a good plan together and showcase it.

But if you were in a boarding school, not going to school would not be an option.

This is the solution for you. Show your parents the link for Rossall, it's a good school and not that far from Liverpool.
I'd rent an apartment and from a quick google search it looked like legal age to live alone is 16

You can live alone but like you can't rent or sign the tenancy agreement for that you need a guardian adult .
This is from the official in website

"
If you’re 16 or 17

If you’re under 18, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to sign a tenancy contract or mortgage agreement.
"
Original post by Kerzen
But if you were in a boarding school, not going to school would not be an option.

This is the solution for you. Show your parents the link for Rossall, it's a good school and not that far from Liverpool.

I agree with that as well I think this is the best option for you .
Reply 30
Original post by Kerzen

Hmm, is there a thing like online college?
Reply 31
I agree with that as well I think this is the best option for you .

I will definitely be going to school if I move there.
Hmm, is there a thing like online college?

Yeah there is there are distance learning couses you can do igcse or gcses online and a levels as well I think

https://www.ool.co.uk/
Reply 33
You can live alone but like you can't rent or sign the tenancy agreement for that you need a guardian adult .
This is from the official in website

"
If you’re 16 or 17

If you’re under 18, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to sign a tenancy contract or mortgage agreement.
"

Can I get my parents to sign that then?
Can I get my parents to sign that then?

Like no your guardian should be someone who lives in the uk.Basically some one who can be responsible for you as you parents might only stay for a short time no most contractors won't accept that .They need someone who lives and works in the UK
I would say your best options are
1.move with your whole family
2.go to a boarding school
3.apply for university when you turn 18
Reply 36
Like no your guardian should be someone who lives in the uk.Basically some one who can be responsible for you as you parents might only stay for a short time no most contractors won't accept that .They need someone who lives and works in the UK

Hmm, that might be a problem.
One more thing I forgot to tell you it's quite hard to get a visa for uk if you are not from Europe .If you come with student visa there is also restrictions on how much you can work I think its 20 hours a week .which is basically a part time job .
Reply 38
I would say your best options are
1.move with your whole family
2.go to a boarding school
3.apply for university when you turn 18

I'll look into the second option. Mind fully explaining what a boarding school is? I've heard of it but never fully understood it.
I'll look into the second option. Mind fully explaining what a boarding school is? I've heard of it but never fully understood it.

Boarding school is basically a school where you live there like I know a very good boarding school near me which is also boarding sixthform/college so basically as bossing student you live in accommodation near the school where you share a room with other students ,eat at a cafeteria ,live there like have to follow certain rules and go to school

For more information look into this

https://study-uk.britishcouncil.org/find/study-options/boarding?utm_sq=g2vglx0g2u#:~:text=A%20boarding%20school%20is%20a,Wales%2C%20Scotland%20and%20Northern%20Ireland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending