The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Residences

Hello,,
Does anyone have any recommendations/tips/important information about King's residences? I am currently considering Angel Lane, Great Dover Street Apt., Stamford Street Apt., Tower Bridge, and Atlas.
It would be great if it something near Guy's campus or Waterloo campus.
Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hello,,
Does anyone have any recommendations/tips/important information about King's residences? I am currently considering Angel Lane, Great Dover Street Apt., Stamford Street Apt., Tower Bridge, and Atlas.
It would be great if it something near Guy's campus or Waterloo campus.
Thank you!!

Before I start, I would assume that you are not eligible for KAAS. Also, I would like to know where your classes would normally take place in. For example, biomedical sciences and biochemistry (common year one) would usually be at Guy's, but sometimes there will be sessions at Waterloo.

I did apply for the accommodation at Moonraker Point, but I didn't actually end up going to London last and this year. Also I reapplied and I am starting again at Imperial, so my viewpoint might be quite limited. But I also made some friends and talked a lot about accommodation, and my friends stay at Angel Lane, Julian Markham, SSA, Urbanest Westminster bridge, Moonraker Point etc, so I'll try my best to answer.

1. Angel lane is at Stratford, so you'd have to do a fairly long commute. I wouldn't really recommend going there, especially in your first year.
2. Great Dover Street Apt is pretty close to Guy's campus, but you would find it not so easy to walk to Waterloo campus if you don't enjoy walking (it takes about 20 minutes to half hour).
3. SSA is literally next to the road from Waterloo campus. It is also one of the most desired accommodation by the students despite being fairly outdated. Their refurbished ensuites are fine, but the regular rooms might feel a bit old. However, it's still a pretty good value for money, especially considering the location. (If your program's teaching is normally at Guy's, I would avoid SSA tho, and if your classes are normally at Strand or Waterloo, I'd definitely recommend).
4. Tower Bridge is pretty far (not like Angel Lane tho), 23 minutes walk from Guy's campus, 22 minutes public transport from Waterloo campus. I did like the fact that it's Urbanest and the facility is great, but I would not personally prefer there because it's still pretty far from the campus. I did like the fact that you'd be crossing the bridge every day tho. Also it's a bit expensive.
5. Atlas is also pretty far. I personally don't really know about this accommodation a lot, so I wouldn't be able to advice on this accommodation. However, the facility looks pretty nice from the pictures (view is amazing).
6. Moonraker Point: I made this choice (although I didn't actually end up there because of covid) because it's situated in the middle between Waterloo and Guy's. I formerly studied biochem as a first year student at King's, and it took place in either campus so I decided to choose somewhere between two campuses. Actually most classes were at Guy's with some classes being at Waterloo, but still the facilities looked nice, so I chose here. However, the pricing is a bit high at here :frown:

This is the advice that I can give. Please let me know if you have any extra questions!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Hopkins_45
Before I start, I would assume that you are not eligible for KAAS. Also, I would like to know where your classes would normally take place in. For example, biomedical sciences and biochemistry (common year one) would usually be at Guy's, but sometimes there will be sessions at Waterloo.

I did apply for the accommodation at Moonraker Point, but I didn't actually end up going to London last and this year. Also I reapplied and I am starting again at Imperial, so my viewpoint might be quite limited. But I also made some friends and talked a lot about accommodation, and my friends stay at Angel Lane, Julian Markham, SSA, Urbanest Westminster bridge, Moonraker Point etc, so I'll try my best to answer.

1. Angel lane is at Stratford, so you'd have to do a fairly long commute. I wouldn't really recommend going there, especially in your first year.
2. Great Dover Street Apt is pretty close to Guy's campus, but you would find it not so easy to walk to Waterloo campus if you don't enjoy walking (it takes about 20 minutes to half hour).
3. SSA is literally next to the road from Waterloo campus. It is also one of the most desired accommodation by the students despite being fairly outdated. Their refurbished ensuites are fine, but the regular rooms might feel a bit old. However, it's still a pretty good value for money, especially considering the location. (If your program's teaching is normally at Guy's, I would avoid SSA tho, and if your classes are normally at Strand or Waterloo, I'd definitely recommend).
4. Tower Bridge is pretty far (not like Angel Lane tho), 23 minutes walk from Guy's campus, 22 minutes public transport from Waterloo campus. I did like the fact that it's Urbanest and the facility is great, but I would not personally prefer there because it's still pretty far from the campus. I did like the fact that you'd be crossing the bridge every day tho. Also it's a bit expensive.
5. Atlas is also pretty far. I personally don't really know about this accommodation a lot, so I wouldn't be able to advice on this accommodation. However, the facility looks pretty nice from the pictures (view is amazing).
6. Moonraker Point: I made this choice (although I didn't actually end up there because of covid) because it's situated in the middle between Waterloo and Guy's. I formerly studied biochem as a first year student at King's, and it took place in either campus so I decided to choose somewhere between two campuses. Actually most classes were at Guy's with some classes being at Waterloo, but still the facilities looked nice, so I chose here. However, the pricing is a bit high at here :frown:

This is the advice that I can give. Please let me know if you have any extra questions!

I am hoping to go to Kings in September studing History, I understand that most of my classes will be at the Stand, I have applied for KAAS any advice on accodamation recommendations please , it's hard as currently due to lockdown we can visit London and check the areas or view the residences.
Thank you in advance.
Reply 3

Thank you so much this is extremely helpful. I have an offer for molecular genetics so my classes are divided between Guy's and Waterloo. I feel Moonraker is the most ideal location-wise but it's too expensive. So I am now considering both SSA and Great Dover based on availability. Also, if you have any info about the Julian Markham house it would be amazing. I would especially like to know more about the area it's in and if it is safe.
Again thank you so much for your reply!! I appreciate it
I am hoping to go to Kings in September studing History, I understand that most of my classes will be at the Stand, I have applied for KAAS any advice on accodamation recommendations please , it's hard as currently due to lockdown we can visit London and check the areas or view the residences.
Thank you in advance.

I have also never been to any of the halls and I was not eligible for KAAS. However, a few of my friends were eligible for KAAS. They were staying at SSA (the most competitive one to get for KAAS students, but rooms for KAAS students are NOT refurbished), Julian Markham (refurbished rooms for KAAS), and Angel Lane. I think the reason why KAAS students prefer SSA is the location although the facility is pretty much horrible (I gotta say this, sorry). My friend who chose Julian Markham said he didn't choose SSA solely because the facility is bad. Another friend who chose Angel Lane did regret a bit because of how far it is from the campus.

I would say try to book SSA because you'll be able to change with pretty much anyone else with other halls because SSA is the most famous one for KAAS students.

Let me know if you have another question!
I have also never been to any of the halls and I was not eligible for KAAS. However, a few of my friends were eligible for KAAS. They were staying at SSA (the most competitive one to get for KAAS students, but rooms for KAAS students are NOT refurbished), Julian Markham (refurbished rooms for KAAS), and Angel Lane. I think the reason why KAAS students prefer SSA is the location although the facility is pretty much horrible (I gotta say this, sorry). My friend who chose Julian Markham said he didn't choose SSA solely because the facility is bad. Another friend who chose Angel Lane did regret a bit because of how far it is from the campus.

I would say try to book SSA because you'll be able to change with pretty much anyone else with other halls because SSA is the most famous one for KAAS students.

Let me know if you have another question!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer Hopkins_45 , your reply is most helpful.
I will try for SSA, however I think I will be very lucky to secure a KAAS ( if my application for KAAS is successful) room at these halls, I'm trying for this venue due to being able to walk to the Strand.
Do you know what the area is like at Great Dover street?

Thanks again
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer Hopkins_45 , your reply is most helpful.
I will try for SSA, however I think I will be very lucky to secure a KAAS ( if my application for KAAS is successful) room at these halls, I'm trying for this venue due to being able to walk to the Strand.
Do you know what the area is like at Great Dover street?

Thanks again

If your classes are at Strand, I'd definitely recommend you to secure SSA. However, I heard that the competition is really high (non-KAAS rooms are fairly easy to secure, but KAAS rooms are REALLY hard to get, as far as my friends say).

Great Dover Street is the only accommodation that I don't know of :frown: I heard that its facilities are quite outdated and it's pretty far from Strand/Waterloo campus.
Reply 7
Thank you so much this is extremely helpful. I have an offer for molecular genetics so my classes are divided between Guy's and Waterloo. I feel Moonraker is the most ideal location-wise but it's too expensive. So I am now considering both SSA and Great Dover based on availability. Also, if you have any info about the Julian Markham house it would be amazing. I would especially like to know more about the area it's in and if it is safe.
Again thank you so much for your reply!! I appreciate it

@Hopkins_45 Sorry to bother you, but adding on to this, if you also have any info on the facilities at Julian Markham and the social like there. Again, sorry to bother you, and thank you for all your help.
@Hopkins_45 Sorry to bother you, but adding on to this, if you also have any info on the facilities at Julian Markham and the social like there. Again, sorry to bother you, and thank you for all your help.

Oh I totally forgot to answer, sorry. I asked my friend who's staying at JM (KAAS) and he says facilities are good as they were refurbished, and the social life is pretty fine - although it's covid and he probably hasn't been able to enjoy "social life".
Thank you in advance.

Oh I totally forgot to answer, sorry. I asked my friend who's staying at JM (KAAS) and he says facilities are good as they were refurbished, and the social life is pretty fine - although it's covid and he probably hasn't been able to enjoy "social life".

how did you guys find out your SSN for KAAS? I'm trying to apply but only applied for student finance yesterday so I don't have that
Original post by scarlettstar6
how did you guys find out your SSN for KAAS? I'm trying to apply but only applied for student finance yesterday so I don't have that

I am international so I was not eligible for KAAS at the first place. However, I understand that if you're eligible you gotta apply for KAAS, otherwise you won't get it.
Original post by scarlettstar6

I recived my number once my application for finance was approved.
Reply 12

hi! i've seen you in the imperial applicant thread for biochem and I'm waiting for a response as well. i was wondering what made you decide to reapply after one year at king's, if that's okay to ask?
Original post by m1202
hi! i've seen you in the imperial applicant thread for biochem and I'm waiting for a response as well. i was wondering what made you decide to reapply after one year at king's, if that's okay to ask?

The course that I'll be studying at Imperial is bioengineering (and the course that I had studied at King's is biochem). The main reason why I decided to reapply was simply because biochem at King's was not my firm choice and it wasn't the course that I genuinely wanted to study (at the time, my firm choice was biochemical engineering at ucl).

But rest assured, I did enjoy the course because I like biology and the first year of biochem at King's consists of number of interesting modules like physiology, anatomy, molecular genetics, pharmacology, biochem, chem, cell bio, neuro sci etc. However, I wanted to study something more engineering-based (something more practical), and that's the sole reason why I decided to reapply.

I liked being a King's student although I never got to visit the campus. I think you will also like biochem at King's if you genuinely like the subject. Please let me know if you have extra questions about biochem at King's, or even just some general questions about King's, feel free to ask me here, and I will try my best to answer. I might not be able to answer questions about campus tho, because (as I mentioned above) I have never been there despite being a student :frown:

Hi, I'm going to apply for SSA (KAAS) and I was wondering if you knew of any sort of structure/ tips for writing the statement required for the application?
Original post by yesiammaisey
Hi, I'm going to apply for SSA (KAAS) and I was wondering if you knew of any sort of structure/ tips for writing the statement required for the application?

I am international so I wasn't eligible for KAAS. All the information that I know about KAAS is from my friends who were eligible for it. We never really talked about the statement, so I can't help you with it :frown: Sorry about that.
I am international so I wasn't eligible for KAAS. All the information that I know about KAAS is from my friends who were eligible for it. We never really talked about the statement, so I can't help you with it :frown: Sorry about that.

No worries, thanks anyway!!
I recived my number once my application for finance was approved.

I ended up getting approved for KAAS without that number thingy :/ I defo did something wrong tho lol watch when they snatch back my KAAS
hi! does anyone have any advice for good accommodations near strand? i've seen some people suggest ssa but i haven't exactly heard glowing reviews about it other than its good location, so i was wondering if there are any better choices:smile: (i'm an international student so i don't qualify for kaas)
(edited 3 years ago)
The problem is due to lockdown, you are currently not allowed into the blocks to view them.
Lots of videos on YouTube of the different residences, we took a drive to london and drove around the different locations.
Hopefully some current students can help you.

Quick Reply

Latest