The Student Room Group

Moved from the UK to Turkey

Hey everyone. I'm currently a student in the UK and am in year 11 (GCSE Level). There is a possibility that I may be moving to Turkey soon, so I was wondering whether there is anyone who could perhaps help me answer my questions about applying to schools there, and how the admission process works, preferably someone who has gained admission in a public school (not private or international). Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Go ahead ask me any question about it. What would you like to learn ? How old are you btw if you don't mind me asking that way I can give you better information. BW.
Reply 2
Original post by Elenngilbrt
Go ahead ask me any question about it. What would you like to learn ? How old are you btw if you don't mind me asking that way I can give you better information. BW.

Hi, thank you for the response. I am in year 11, so am 16. Did you move from the UK to Turkey? If so, how did you find the shift from English public schools to Turkish public schools. Is it difficult to learn the Turkish language, and if so, do the schools perhaps provide any extra support when it comes to things like exams?
Original post by xmxnahs
Hi, thank you for the response. I am in year 11, so am 16. Did you move from the UK to Turkey? If so, how did you find the shift from English public schools to Turkish public schools. Is it difficult to learn the Turkish language, and if so, do the schools perhaps provide any extra support when it comes to things like exams?

I am going to be honest with you learning Turkish is easy because the words and pronunciation of the words are exactly the same as how you write them down so if you work hard you will learn it but the problem is that when you go to Turkey you have to do exams and these exams are in Turkish so you have to learn Turkish ASAP even though you could learn it quickly your level of Turkish will not be same as other 16 years old Turkish kids in your class but again if you work hard and do your best I am sure you will pass. Public schools in Turkey are very different from the UK.
In Turkey, there will be lots of students in one class such as a minimum of 40 people in one class (depends on where you are going to stay too.) I think if you can afford hire private tutors this will help you a lot. Exams in Turkey are teog, ygs, lsy. Also, for "extra support" again depends on how good your school is if you can afford to go to a private school go to private one not to the public one because if you studied in the UK until 16 you will not like the ordinary Turkish public school at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
I am going to be honest with you learning Turkish is easy because the words and pronunciation of the words are exactly the same as how you write them down so if you work hard you will learn it but the problem is that when you go to Turkey you have to do exams and these exams are in Turkish so you have to learn Turkish ASAP even though you could learn it quickly your level of Turkish will not be same as other 16 years old Turkish kids in your class but again if you work hard you and do your best I am sure you will pass. Public schools in Turkey are very different from the UK.
In Turkey, there will be lots of students in one class such as a minimum of 40 people in one class (depends on where you are going to stay too.) I think if you can afford hire private tutors this will help you a lot. Exams in Turkey are teog, ygs, lsy. Also, for "extra support" again depends on how good your school is if you can afford to go to a private school not to the public because if you studied in the UK until 16 you will not like the ordinary Turkish public schools at all.

Okay thank you. I'm not sure bout private schools at the moment mainly because the shift from here to there will cost a lot, and we'd prefer to save as much money as possible. As I am 16 and currently doing GCSEs, which class/grade would I be in corresponding to the Turkish education system of course? Also, if you don't mind me asking, have you moved from the UK to Turkey? How does the admission process work?
Original post by xmxnahs
Okay thank you. I'm not sure bout private schools at the moment mainly because the shift from here to there will cost a lot, and we'd prefer to save as much money as possible. As I am 16 and currently doing GCSEs, which class/grade would I be in corresponding to the Turkish education system of course? Also, if you don't mind me asking, have you moved from the UK to Turkey? How does the admission process work?

Hi I have not moved from the UK to Turkey but I moved from Turkey to the UK, haha :biggrin: If you are 16 you will go to year 10 which is college level (Lise).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi I have not moved from the UK to Turkey but I moved from Turkey to the UK, haha :biggrin: If you are 16 you will go to year 10 which is college level (Lise).

ohhh :biggrin: may i ask your reasons for moving? is turkey not good for education or was it regarding other reasons? and s it at age 18 that i'll go to university? is a lise diplomasi equivalent to an a level certificate?
Original post by xmxnahs
ohhh :biggrin: may i ask your reasons for moving? is turkey not good for education or was it regarding other reasons? and s it at age 18 that i'll go to university? is a lise diplomasi equivalent to an a level certificate?

Right now education is very bad and also the government is not that supportive at all. I moved from there to the UK because of the education system and as well as opportunities that the British government are better than Turkey's. Yes, when you are 18 yrs old you go to Uni and lise diplomasi is equivalent to an a level certificate. Btw if you don't mind me asking are you British and why you are moving to Turkey ?
Original post by xmxnahs
Hey everyone. I'm currently a student in the UK and am in year 11 (GCSE Level). There is a possibility that I may be moving to Turkey soon, so I was wondering whether there is anyone who could perhaps help me answer my questions about applying to schools there, and how the admission process works, preferably someone who has gained admission in a public school (not private or international). Thank you.

Merhaba!

Are you moving for education, or moving there with family and wondering about education?

Whilst Turkish isn't necessarily a hard language, any language is hard if it's your first second language or you're not used to learning new languages. Not impossible ofc, esp if you are in the country :smile:
Reply 9
Right now education is very bad and also the government is not that supportive at all. I moved from there to the UK because of the education system and as well as opportunities that the British government are better than Turkey's. Yes, when you are 18 yrs old you go to Uni and lise diplomasi is equivalent to an a level certificate. Btw if you don't mind me asking are you British and why you are moving to Turkey ?

okay thank you so much. and is the education system really THAT bad? you’re beginning to scare me😂 and yes i agree the UK defo has better opportunities in regards to education. yes, i’m british pakistani, and tbh we’re just sick of the UK. and turkey doesn’t seem too bad as it’s both modern but also implements the aspect of islam, and i’d love to be closer to my religion too.
Original post by xmxnahs
okay thank you so much. and is the education system really THAT bad? you’re beginning to scare me😂 and yes i agree the UK defo has better opportunities in regards to education. yes, i’m british pakistani, and tbh we’re just sick of the UK. and turkey doesn’t seem too bad as it’s both modern but also implements the aspect of islam, and i’d love to be closer to my religion too.

Believe me, Turkey is very nice for holidays but living there is way harder than you could imagine. If we were having this convo 10 -15 years ago I would have told you to go for it but now that's like a big NO from me. Yes Turkey is very religious and they respect Islam but I don't think it is that good for living for example last night they rejected a law that protects women from the violence which means women are no longer protected properly. Also for the education part, they just change it constantly whenever they want; they change the exams, the modules and subjects randomly without even thinking about students. I don't recommend it at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Chichaldo
Merhaba!

Are you moving for education, or moving there with family and wondering about education?

Whilst Turkish isn't necessarily a hard language, any language is hard if it's your first second language or you're not used to learning new languages. Not impossible ofc, esp if you are in the country :smile:

merhaba arkadaş!
i’m actually moving there with family which is why i’d like to know about school there. i have many questions a lot of which sound quite stupid but i’d appreciate any help i can get!
to be fair, learning languages is never easy you’re right. i speak urdu and a lot of words are similar in turkish which means i’m already at a slight advantage. however, i’ve heard the grammar is difficult which is why i’m worried aha
Reply 12
Believe me, Turkey is very nice for holidays but living there is way harder than you could imagine. If we were having this convo 10 -15 years ago I would have told you to go for it but now that's like a big NO from me. Yes Turkey is very religious and they respect Islam but I don't think it is that good for living for example last night they rejected a law that protects women from the violence which means women are no longer protected properly. Also for the education part, they just change it constantly whenever they want; they change the exams, the modules and subjects randomly without even thinking about students. I don't recommend it at all.

yes i’ve heard about the istanbul convention. i was deeply upset by it, i’m not sure why the president decided to withdraw it. it’s quite scary tbh, but i’m pakistani and it’s quite similar to living in pakistan, and so it sounds so bizarre but i’d adapt to the life there only because i’ve been exposed to those type of views and people before, it’s quite sad i know, but we’d rather not stay in the uk.
and that’s so stupid! why would they do that? shouldn’t they just stick to one thing and teach that syllabus? what about universities there? ive heard istanbul especially is a hotspot for international students. would you recommend the unis?
Reply 13
Its so random that I found this thread but I m planning on moving there for uni lmao
I cannot answer your questions. Can you take the Prime Minister with you given he has Turkish heritage? We'd be eternally grateful if you did.
Reply 15
Original post by barnet1471
I cannot answer your questions. Can you take the Prime Minister with you given he has Turkish heritage? We'd be eternally grateful if you did.

We don't wanna take him either :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by sam2350
We don't wanna take him either :smile:

in fact, we're literally running away from him he's not fit to run the country and make important decisions
Original post by xmxnahs

I’m currently considering moving to Turkey (from London). My Pakistani family is also sick of the UK we want culture and weather haha. Considering doing a law degree there currently doing a levels. Have you moved?
Reply 18
Original post by xmxnahs

I’m 46 years old and father of 3 teenagers living in London for 11 years. I 100% understand the reasons behind your family’s decision and to be honest I have the same plan for my family too. We are Azerbaijani and already know another dialect of Turkish as well as Turkey’s Turkish. You would hear a lot of different ideas in regards to your question and it would put you in a dilemma but if you listen to me just go for it. Don’t worry. You are very young and you quickly will learn the Turkish language. In my opinion, Turkey is the best country for educated Muslims as its society is not so strict like some Muslim countries and also the familial relationships aren’t as weak as here in the UK.
Original post by xmxnahs

hi , i just wanted to pry into the conversation as i think you are getting unrealistic answers. I am a Turk living in the UK. I have completed all my student life in Turkiye. It is said by older people that the high school education in Turkiye in olden days was equal to or better then a uni grad in any western country. Then in the 70s 80s they changed to that great system to adapt ( or downward comp) to western system. So i can say the schools are unfortunately too westernised and not enough culture and religion , almost not Turkish. Government is giving an enormous support to state schools. If you go to Turkiye i would defenetally recommend you to go to a state school. Dont waste your money on private ones. Aren't you lucky! Hope you have a lovely education life.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply