The Student Room Group

gcse biology help

i'm struggling with this question- i would appreciate it if i could get any support from anyone
Reply 1
Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 09.37.19.png
Original post by mohona1827
Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 09.37.19.png

Do you known what a hypotonic solution is? :smile:
(I’ll try and walk you through the answer by asking questions rather than give you the answer)

*Also, it would be useful if we could see figure A
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
ah that's the thing i'm struggling with i don't really know what a hypotonic solution is because when i search it up, it says the when the solution is less concentrated then the cytoplasm and therefore water leaves the cell so that the cell becomes flaccid and shrinks

but in the markscheme to that question ,it talks about water entering the cell and causing the cell to become tugid,hence they burst

and yh absolutlely i'll send figure A :smile:

thank you for your help
Reply 4
Original post by mohona1827
ah that's the thing i'm struggling with i don't really know what a hypotonic solution is because when i search it up, it says the when the solution is less concentrated then the cytoplasm and therefore water leaves the cell so that the cell becomes flaccid and shrinks

but in the markscheme to that question ,it talks about water entering the cell and causing the cell to become tugid,hence they burst

and yh absolutlely i'll send figure A :smile:

thank you for your help

here's figure A :smile:
A hypotonic solution is one that’s less concentrated the cytoplasm, like you’ve rightly said. So using the principles of osmosis, that would mean that water moves into the cell through the partially permeable membrane of the red blood cell, down a water potential gradient. Water has moved into the cell, so the cell will swell and eventually osmotic cell lysis would occur..I.e. the cell will burst! I’m not sure what website you’re using but is seems to have told you the opposite thing?
* ah and no problem, happy to help :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by XHannahR
A hypotonic solution is one that’s less concentrated the cytoplasm, like you’ve rightly said. So using the principles of osmosis, that would mean that water moves into the partially permeable membrane of the red blood cell, down a water potential gradient. Water has moved into the cell, so the cell will swell and eventually osmotic cell lysis would occur..I.e. the cell will burst! I’m not sure what website you’re using but is seems to have told you the opposite thing?

ohhh i understand now- i've forgotten what the website was called but i had written it in my flashcard- i'll change it now
thank you so much :wink:
haha no worries; hopefully the rest of the question makes sense!
just to summarise;
hypotonic = less concentrated (so water moves out by osmosis (to the more concentrated 'thing' until they are isotonic))
hypertonic = more concentrated (so water moves in by osmosis (from the more dilute 'thing' until they are isotonic))
isotonic = equal concentrations

Quick Reply

Latest