The Student Room Group

Guys I can't revise at all

I have a revision timetable and i have a list as to what i need to revise. However, when it comes to revising, i completely shut down and can't bring myself to revise. I have mocks after easter break, what should i do??
Reply 1
turn of your phone , take away any technologies , revise at a time you feel you can...
Reply 2
Original post by loraa11
turn of your phone , take away any technologies , revise at a time you feel you can...

ive tried all of that, genuinely feel like im going to fail
Revision is going to be difficult and most of the time it will be boring but if you want to do well, you just gotta go through it. I made a post a while ago on some revision tips for the core subjects, that might help. Here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=90874776&highlight=GCSE%20Tips
Reply 4
Original post by alwaysneedadvice
Revision is going to be difficult and most of the time it will be boring but if you want to do well, you just gotta go through it. I made a post a while ago on some revision tips for the core subjects, that might help. Here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=90874776&highlight=GCSE%20Tips

Thank you, could you go in more depth for double science? I make mindmaps and try to answer exam questions but i dont understand it
Original post by username54
Thank you, could you go in more depth for double science? I make mindmaps and try to answer exam questions but i dont understand it

If you mean you don't understand the content, I would read through BBC Bitesize or watch some Youtube videos that go over the topics you're struggling in. Then try and build that up using flashcards and quizzes. Eventually when you feel confident with that move on to exam questions. How are you using your mindmaps? Are you using them to blurt? Blurting is starting with a blank page and then writing as much as you remember from a topic. Then once you've done that, go in with a different coloured pen and add what you missed. If you keep doing that you'll start to remember the things that you missed. Do you think your mindmaps help you remember things in the long-term or is it just something you do and then leave on your wall to never look at or a drawer? If that's the case, that's probably not going to help you.
Reply 6
If you mean you don't understand the content, I would read through BBC Bitesize or watch some Youtube videos that go over the topics you're struggling in. Then try and build that up using flashcards and quizzes. Eventually when you feel confident with that move on to exam questions. How are you using your mindmaps? Are you using them to blurt? Blurting is starting with a blank page and then writing as much as you remember from a topic. Then once you've done that, go in with a different coloured pen and add what you missed. If you keep doing that you'll start to remember the things that you missed. Do you think your mindmaps help you remember things in the long-term or is it just something you do and then leave on your wall to never look at or a drawer? If that's the case, that's probably not going to help you.

i dont blurt it, i just condense my notes into a mindmap, read it out loud and then answer flashcards. Afterwards, i answer exam questions
Original post by username54
i dont blurt it, i just condense my notes into a mindmap, read it out loud and then answer flashcards. Afterwards, i answer exam questions

That sounds good. Is this not working for you? You don't need to change what you're doing if you're retaining the information, it's all up to the individual on how they revise best. If not, you can try blurting, condensing your notes further into maybe 3-5 sentences/keywords for each topic so things are easier to read/remember, or even explain topics to a close one. Whatever you think might work for you. Or is it the motivation aspect that's difficult for you? For me you just have to force your way into doing it, there's no real way (that I've found out) to make yourself a revising machine. You just have to slowly build up your motivation for revision. It's most likely not going to be fun or something exciting (but I'm sure there are ways that can make it fun) so it's all up to self discipline.
Reply 8
That sounds good. Is this not working for you? You don't need to change what you're doing if you're retaining the information, it's all up to the individual on how they revise best. If not, you can try blurting, condensing your notes further into maybe 3-5 sentences/keywords for each topic so things are easier to read/remember, or even explain topics to a close one. Whatever you think might work for you. Or is it the motivation aspect that's difficult for you? For me you just have to force your way into doing it, there's no real way (that I've found out) to make yourself a revising machine. You just have to slowly build up your motivation for revision. It's most likely not going to be fun or something exciting (but I'm sure there are ways that can make it fun) so it's all up to self discipline.

I can retain the information but i can't answer exam questions

Quick Reply

Latest