The Student Room Group

How do you motivate yourself to study?

Easter is already over and I have achieved nothing. I have a-level mocks soon but I just feel so unmotivated to study.
Ever since covid, I've just lost all self-discipline and always get so distracted. I try hard but I feel like I'm not trying hard enough compared to GCSEs. I'm scared because a-levels are so important and as someone aiming for medicine, there is even more stress.
The pandemic has genuinely made me care less, I am putting in less effort, procrastinating so much. It has also affected my learning, yet I feel like everyone else around me is fine. Schools and the government don't really recognise how tough its been on students. I doubt they will even make amends to the examination process next year.
How many hours of revision a day do u recommend revising? I have over a month left before mocks start but I am sure I'm already falling behind.
How do you force yourself to study? I have deleted all social media etc but I still end up just wasting time doing nothing.
Reply 1
It's all determination hun
Original post by eighthirty
Easter is already over and I have achieved nothing. I have a-level mocks soon but I just feel so unmotivated to study.
Ever since covid, I've just lost all self-discipline and always get so distracted. I try hard but I feel like I'm not trying hard enough compared to GCSEs. I'm scared because a-levels are so important and as someone aiming for medicine, there is even more stress.
The pandemic has genuinely made me care less, I am putting in less effort, procrastinating so much. It has also affected my learning, yet I feel like everyone else around me is fine. Schools and the government don't really recognise how tough its been on students. I doubt they will even make amends to the examination process next year.
How many hours of revision a day do u recommend revising? I have over a month left before mocks start but I am sure I'm already falling behind.
How do you force yourself to study? I have deleted all social media etc but I still end up just wasting time doing nothing.

A lot of people are in the same boat as you :wink:. Hopefully that helps. Think of it this way: RESULTS DAY is inevitable! There’s no dodging it. It’s getting closer by the day. You don’t wanna look at your results and wish you had done work. The sooner the better. Discipline yourself hard. Give your phone to your parents to hide until exam season is over. I’ve been in your position the week before the Easter break. Now I’ve revised 10 hours a day ever since the Easter break began. You got this bro. And more people wanna see you fail than succeed, it’s the truth. Go prove people wrong and get the results you deserve!!

Hi @eighthirty,

I recommend using a study app like Forest to help you concentrate and stay off social media/games/other apps while you study. I started using this while in sixth form and still use it now in my final year at uni!

In terms of motivation, make sure you eat enough, drink enough, sleep enough and give yourself some down time. One thing that really works for me is making sure my workspace is aesthetically pleasing. It sounds weird but it makes me more excited to work there. I'd also consider getting in touch with your teachers to see if they are running any revision sessions, or can go over any material you don't understand. A lot of people will be feeling the same way as you so you are not alone!

Lucy
Reply 4
with chocolate :P
Reply 5

Hell yeah, this covid stuff affects me as well. I felt the same a few months before. My general advice would be to relax more, strange as it may seem but it's a very crucial thing. The matter is that you're still anxious, even while you're procrastinating. So, you need to plan your day and spend a little time on preparation for the exams, like an hour or so, and organize your time to chill as well. Believe me, it'd be better to spend an hour to revise the material deeply than to force yourself to study as much as you can and end up doing nothing throughout the whole day. I've also recently found the great site that helped me a lot during this tough educational year. The people are truly proffesionals there. Check it out ! https://www.scribbr.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending