The Student Room Group

help with studies please!

um ok so my mom has me going to tuition for maths and science, with one lesson a week and its one-on-one, and its going well so far (having only started 2 weeks ago). im 13 and in year 9, and my gcse choices are art, economics, geography, and spanish, along with the mandatory three sciences, maths, and english (doing AQA btw!). ive always struggled with maths but now im really worried about my grades being in the constant high 3s to low 4s. as with science, im getting average scores in all three and my aprents arent happy at all... they say i need to revise more but i do and it doesnt seem to help whatsoever so could you guys please suggest good revision techniques for maths and science (along with websites/things i can do to improve my grades)? keep in mind that i understand all of the given information and techniques when taught them but soon forget everything in time for the exam. i felt like i really needed some new opinions so i appreciate it if you could help me out <3
(edited 3 years ago)
The fact that you can understand the work when you do it in class is a good sign! For my A levels, I used the website physics and maths tutor for notes and question practice but they also do those things for GCSE subjects as well so I'd check it out if I were you. Another thing I used to do for GCSEs, A levels and still do now at uni is pick a topic and try to write down as much as I can remember for it and then use my notes and textbooks to check how much I could remember. At first, you won't remember much but over time, you will remember more information and if you add in exam question practice, you should hopefully be able to improve your grades
Original post by Emily5243
The fact that you can understand the work when you do it in class is a good sign! For my A levels, I used the website physics and maths tutor for notes and question practice but they also do those things for GCSE subjects as well so I'd check it out if I were you. Another thing I used to do for GCSEs, A levels and still do now at uni is pick a topic and try to write down as much as I can remember for it and then use my notes and textbooks to check how much I could remember. At first, you won't remember much but over time, you will remember more information and if you add in exam question practice, you should hopefully be able to improve your grades

@Emily5243 thanks a bunch!! i do understand the info during class but it takes so much effort to keep it inside my head D: i will check out the notes and question practice tho! thank you so much
Reply 3
For the sciences, I really recommend:

1. freesciencelessons on YouTube: He's honestly a lifesaver. At the start of Y9, I was quite lazy when it came to revision, so I got 2, 3 and 4 in October of Y9. :redface: That was a sign to me that I needed to put effort in, so I used him a lot for my Jan and June tests and ended Y9 with a 6, 7 and 8. Finished with 9,9,9 in Y11, so I can vouch for him. Everyone has their own way of revising, so you should mix and match techniques to find what suits you, but what I did was use freesciencelessons alongside:
2. Exam questions, especially Exampro. You'll learn to realise that there are patterns in answers for science (and Maths). Make sure you mark your work afterwards with a green pen and find what key words are needed.
3. Blurting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrCo1J9A44) is really helpful for content-based subjects in particular, but it works even with English Lit for me. I did this on the days leading up to a test (still do for A-Levels).
4. Topic checklists. I used the ones in the CGP books for each chapter and answered the questions, usually the night before, and then checked my answers.
5. Get on top of your flashcards early. Don't make them too wordy. The best way to make flashcards is to have a question on one side and a brief answer on the other. Use mark schemes and past papers to find the best answer that scores all of the key points needed to get full marks. You can make online flashcards on Anki or Quizlet if you want to continuously edit your flashcards with updated information. Alternatively, if you want to buy some good online ones cheaply, I used these (because I left making flashcards for science too late lol): https://www.keycardsrevision.co.uk/

For Maths:
1. Maths Genie questions. He also has solution videos and higher-level questions to challenge yourself.
2. You don't have to spend money to access practice questions (as there are so many online, such as PhysicsandMaths tutor, Corbett Maths and Maths Genie, as I mentioned), but, if you want and can afford to, maybe get a good textbook full of exam questions (and exam papers also work). I used this one specifically because it had hard questions in it and answers at the back: Maths for GCSE Textbook.

You can also get exam questions from your exam board. Personally, I didn't find flashcards and revision guides helpful at all for Maths, but everyone is different.

Don't stress yourself out if you're just in Y9. Right now, I'd say that only a few hours a week of practice (maybe 3?) would be just fine for you. Enjoy Y9, because it's a good year in secondary school (same goes for Y10, except it involves some more work). :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Try doing some practice questions! I always found, especially in science and maths, that I understood the content but during the exams I didn't have a clue how to do the questions - this also helped me remember the content :smile:
Original post by Pichi

1. freesciencelessons on YouTube: He's honestly a lifesaver. At the start of Y9, I was quite lazy when it came to revision, so I got 2, 3 and 4 in October of Y9. :redface: That was a sign to me that I needed to put effort in, so I used him a lot for my Jan and June tests and ended Y9 with a 6, 7 and 8. Finished with 9,9,9 in Y11, so I can vouch for him. Everyone has their own way of revising, so you should mix and match techniques to find what suits you, but what I did was use freesciencelessons alongside:
2. Exam questions, especially Exampro. You'll learn to realise that there are patterns in answers for science (and Maths). Make sure you mark your work afterwards with a green pen and find what key words are needed.
3. Blurting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrCo1J9A44) is really helpful for content-based subjects in particular, but it works even with English Lit for me. I did this on the days leading up to a test (still do for A-Levels).
4. Topic checklists. I used the ones in the CGP books for each chapter and answered the questions, usually the night before, and then checked my answers.
5. Get on top of your flashcards early. Don't make them too wordy. The best way to make flashcards is to have a question on one side and a brief answer on the other. Use mark schemes and past papers to find the best answer that scores all of the key points needed to get full marks. You can make online flashcards on Anki or Quizlet if you want to continuously edit your flashcards with updated information. Alternatively, if you want to buy some good online ones cheaply, I used these (because I left making flashcards for science too late lol): https://www.keycardsrevision.co.uk/

For Maths:
1. Maths Genie questions. He also has solution videos and higher-level questions to challenge yourself.
2. You don't have to spend money to access practice questions (as there are so many online, such as PhysicsandMaths tutor, Corbett Maths and Maths Genie, as I mentioned), but, if you want and can afford to, maybe get a good textbook full of exam questions (and exam papers also work). I used this one specifically because it had hard questions in it and answers at the back: Maths for GCSE Textbook.

You can also get exam questions from your exam board. Personally, I didn't find flashcards and revision guides helpful at all for Maths, but everyone is different.

Don't stress yourself out if you're just in Y9. Right now, I'd say that only a few hours a week of practice (maybe 3?) would be just fine for you. Enjoy Y9, because it's a good year in secondary school (same goes for Y10, except it involves some more work). :smile:

thank you for the recources @Pichi!! year 9 has been a good year studies-wise for me and i just dont want my scores to drop but i will chk all of these sites/channels out.. tysmmm
Original post by ohnojay
Try doing some practice questions! I always found, especially in science and maths, that I understood the content but during the exams I didn't have a clue how to do the questions - this also helped me remember the content :smile:

thanks @ohnojay will do
okay tysm!!
Original post by Pichi

For Maths:

I completely agree with everything listed above!
Original post by Hinjo Eng
hello,
inbox i can share more

Please stop posting this everywhere.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Please stop posting this everywhere.

I want to help as far as i can brother. No ill motive
I want to help as far as i can brother. No ill motive

Then give advice on the thread itself. Why do you need to PM?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Then give advice on the thread itself. Why do you need to PM?

to comfortably narrow down well to one's problem
to comfortably narrow down well to one's problem

Post openly - what you are suggesting is not allowed,
Original post by varshni <3
um ok so my mom has me going to tuition for maths and science, with one lesson a week and its one-on-one, and its going well so far (having only started 2 weeks ago). im 13 and in year 9, and my gcse choices are art, economics, geography, and spanish, along with the mandatory three sciences, maths, and english (doing AQA btw!). ive always struggled with maths but now im really worried about my grades being in the constant high 3s to low 4s. as with science, im getting average scores in all three and my aprents arent happy at all... they say i need to revise more but i do and it doesnt seem to help whatsoever so could you guys please suggest good revision techniques for maths and science (along with websites/things i can do to improve my grades)? keep in mind that i understand all of the given information and techniques when taught them but soon forget everything in time for the exam. i felt like i really needed some new opinions so i appreciate it if you could help me out <3

These are good for Maths: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

Btw, exampro is for teachers NOT students so ignore that suggestion
Original post by Muttley79
Post openly - what you are suggesting is not allowed,

okay, sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest