The Student Room Group

The real oxford university

This is what Oxford is really like:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9443287/Professor-told-student-Oxford-University-rape-claim-cause-Boat-Race-cancelled.html

I experienced racism and bullying whilst there by both staff and students. If you’re ethnic, think twice before you go. Shithole racist place with dumb backwards mentality on race, and now rape too it seems. Disgraceful.

Scroll to see replies

Help me out here, presumable like most civilised people, you believe that racism is a bad thing. But you are also attempting to dissuade all 'ethnic' students from attending Oxford University, something that would likely be a life changing for them. If I where a racist troll who harbored a distain for 'ethnic' people, this is the tatic I would use.
Making threats and spreading overtly racist rumours is often taken very seriously. However making unfounded and bizarre allegations of racism is all the vouge at the moment.

I am sure that a certain degree of racism does go on at Oxford, however, do you have any evidence that Oxford is substantially more racist than other universities?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
Help me out here, presumable like most civilised people, you believe that racism is a bad thing. But you are also attempting to dissuade all 'ethnic' students from attending Oxford University, something that would likely be a life changing for them. If I where a racist troll who harbored a distain for 'ethnic' people, this is the exactly the type of tatic I would be using.
Making threats and spreading overtly racist rumours is often taken very seriously. However making unfounded and bizarre allegations of racism is all the vouge at the moment.

I am sure that a certain degree of racism does go on at Oxford, however, do you have any evidence that Oxford is substantially more racist than other universities?

The only one trolling here is you alice.
(edited 3 years ago)
The woman declined to go to the police. I wonder why?

If she wishes to report a serious crime, she should go to the police, not to a university professor and journalists.
Reply 4
Help me out here, presumable like most civilised people, you believe that racism is a bad thing. But you are also attempting to dissuade all 'ethnic' students from attending Oxford University, something that would likely be a life changing for them. If I where a racist troll who harbored a distain for 'ethnic' people, this is the exactly the type of tatic I would be using.

is it life changing for white students to go oxbridge or just ethnics? btw there are other good places to go which will lead to good careers, this obsession with oxford is unnecessary.
Original post by Chief Wiggum

If she wishes to report a serious crime, she should go to the police, not to a university professor and journalists.

You don't have to wonder, as the woman has explained why she didn't go to the police - it's because she didn't want to go through the re-traumatisation of a police investigation when the chance of a prosecution is so low. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/01/oxford-university-failed-me-over-handling-of-claim-says-woman

Propsecutions and convictions for rape more than halved in the past 3 years, whilst the number of reported rapes has increased. The police are now less likely to refer cases to the CPS than in the past, and the CPS is less likely to take referred cases to court. Of the more than 55,000 rapes reported to the police in 2019-20, only 2,000 were prosecuted. So the woman concerned had only a 4% chance of her report resulting in a prosecution. Not a situation that encourages survivors to report these crimes to the police.
(edited 3 years ago)

Maybe she didn't want to get the guy arrested? Maybe she didn't trust the police? Maybe Oxford univeristy shouldn't need a police report to act on a suspect rape? Oxford is ridiculous.
Original post by boulderingislife
Maybe she didn't want to get the guy arrested? Maybe she didn't trust the police? Maybe Oxford univeristy shouldn't need a police report to act on a suspect rape? Oxford is ridiculous.

which college did you go to and for which subject? Just wondering x
Reply 8
Original post by jayny
is it life changing for white students to go oxbridge or just ethnics? btw there are other good places to go which will lead to good careers, this obsession with oxford is unnecessary.

Oxbridge have objectively more money and resources than anywhere else, is the 'problem' I guess. There's a reason we aren't talking about the Southampton vaccine, and why the Recovery dexamethasone study wasn't led by Brookes. Recommending ethnic minorities forego such opportunities, rather than recommending they do attend and campaign to change things, is just very harmful to social mobility.

Original post by OxFossil
You don't have to wonder, as the woman has explained why she didn't go to the police - it's because she didn't want to go through the re-traumatisation of a police investigation when the chance of a prosecution is so low. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/01/oxford-university-failed-me-over-handling-of-claim-says-woman

So she just lets him get away with it to do it again instead. Maybe he'll even feel emboldened by the absolutely zero consequences and escalate. Great.

And I'd definitely dispute that having your name put in national newspapers and TSR asshats speculate about why you didn't handle it very logically, is any less traumatic. Surely its far more so.

Reporting it so so late also did her absolutely no favours. We all want rapists to be convicted - report them to the police straight afterwards! Please!

Poor girl.
(edited 3 years ago)

Propsecutions and convictions for rape more than halved in the past 3 years, whilst the number of reported rapes has increased. The police are now less likely to refer cases to the CPS than in the past, and the CPS is less likely to take referred cases to court. Of the more than 55,000 rapes reported to the police in 2019-20, only 2,000 were prosecuted. So the woman concerned had only a 4% chance of her report resulting in a prosecution. Not a situation that encourages survivors to report these crimes to the police.

A report of a rape doesn't mean that a rape definitely happened. That's what the whole point of the police investigation is.

Perhaps the convictions are falling because more people are making spurious claims with little evidence to support them?

If she doesn't want the "trauma" of a police investigation, why is she happy going to the media? The media (and people in this thread) will believe her without any evidence, and without forensically examining her claims.

I would absolutely urge the individual involved to go to the police so that this potentially very serious crime can be investigated properly, and so that if guilty, the perpetrator can be brought to justice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10

...Perhaps the convictions are falling because more people are making spurious claims with little evidence to support them?

If she doesn't want the "trauma" of a police investigation, why is she happy going to the media...

Neither the police service nor the CPS is suggesting the drop in rape referrals, charges or convictions is due to an increase in "spurious claims". In fact its own Inspectorate criticised the CPS for "disproportionate" demands of an over-intrusive nature for rape complainants' personal history, background and phone records.

As if that isn't bad enough, the 2019/20 report of the independent Victim's Commissioner says, "In effect, what we are witnessing is the decriminalisation of rape...we are failing to give justice to thousands of complainants....in some cases, enabling predatory sex offenders to go on to reoffend in the knowledge they are highly unlikely to be held to account."

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/victcomm2-prod-storage-119w3o4kq2z48/uploads/2020/07/Victims-Commissioners-Annual-Report-2019-20-with-hyperlinks.pdf

It's deeply problematic that when faced with these kinds of findings, some people still seek to blame and question the motivation of victims, rather than challenge the criminal justice system to get better at its job.
Neither the police service nor the CPS is suggesting the drop in rape referrals, charges or convictions is due to an increase in "spurious claims". In fact its own Inspectorate criticised the CPS for "disproportionate" demands of an over-intrusive nature for rape complainants' personal history, background and phone records.

As if that isn't bad enough, the 2019/20 report of the independent Victim's Commissioner says, "In effect, what we are witnessing is the decriminalisation of rape...we are failing to give justice to thousands of complainants....in some cases, enabling predatory sex offenders to go on to reoffend in the knowledge they are highly unlikely to be held to account."

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/victcomm2-prod-storage-119w3o4kq2z48/uploads/2020/07/Victims-Commissioners-Annual-Report-2019-20-with-hyperlinks.pdf

It's deeply problematic that when faced with these kinds of findings, some people still seek to blame and question the motivation of victims, rather than challenge the criminal justice system to get better at its job.

I think an extensive probe of the evidence, such as phone records, is entirely appropriate and is most likely to lead to fair decisions. I do not think thorough investigations are "disproportionate". Serious accusations deserve serious and thorough investigations.

Saying that rape is "decriminalised" is utter nonsense. We cannot expect people to be found guilty if the evidence does not support such a verdict. In today's society, where the accused are treated as being automatically guilty in the media and social media, however, it does not surprise me that a report has stated this. I do, however, find that deeply concerning.

You are assuming that a "not guilty" verdict means that the criminal justice system has failed. That is an exceptionally dangerous assumption. And incidentally, if the accused is found "not guilty", is the word "victim" accurate? Are they a victim if no crime was found to have been committed? Doesn't the word "victim" imply that the accused is guilty? Isn't the term "complainant" meant to be used rather than "victim" for that reason?

Obviously the reports say what you have posted. Anyone who dared disagree or suggest otherwise would be forced out of their job by an "outrage mob". People often say what is popular and most people are keen to avoid any public outrage or criticism.
(edited 3 years ago)
I mean I’m 99% sure that all university’s have this problem, and unfortunately it’s people like you that speak about the more prolific ones. I’m not looking to go to oxbridge, I’ll probably go to Bristol but I can almost guarantee there will be racism and at least one alleged rape when I’m there. It’s not good but it seems to be how the world is

I experienced racism and bullying whilst there by both staff and students. If you’re ethnic, think twice before you go. Shithole racist place with dumb backwards mentality on race, and now rape too it seems. Disgraceful.

Are you black? Indian? Muslim?
Original post by HaydenFordz
I mean I’m 99% sure that all university’s have this problem, and unfortunately it’s people like you that speak about the more prolific ones. I’m not looking to go to oxbridge, I’ll probably go to Bristol but I can almost guarantee there will be racism and at least one alleged rape when I’m there. It’s not good but it seems to be how the world is

Here are 21 reports from Bristol in a single academic year (plus 20 other sexual crimes) https://epigram.org.uk/2019/03/26/a-broken-system-no-suspension-or-expulsion-for-students-accused-of-sexual-offences/
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Here are 21 reports from Bristol in a single academic year (plus 20 other sexual crimes) https://epigram.org.uk/2019/03/26/a-broken-system-no-suspension-or-expulsion-for-students-accused-of-sexual-offences/

thanks for proving my point 👍🏻
I think an extensive probe of the evidence, such as phone records, is entirely appropriate and is most likely to lead to fair decisions. I do not think thorough investigations are "disproportionate". Serious accusations deserve serious and thorough investigations.

Saying that rape is "decriminalised" is utter nonsense. We cannot expect people to be found guilty if the evidence does not support such a verdict. In today's society, where the accused are treated as being automatically guilty in the media and social media, however, it does not surprise me that a report has stated this. I do, however, find that deeply concerning.

You are assuming that a "not guilty" verdict means that the criminal justice system has failed. That is an exceptionally dangerous assumption. And incidentally, if the accused is found "not guilty", is the word "victim" accurate? Are they a victim if no crime was found to have been committed? Doesn't the word "victim" imply that the accused is guilty? Isn't the term "complainant" meant to be used rather than "victim" for that reason?

Obviously the reports say what you have posted. Anyone who dared disagree or suggest otherwise would be forced out of their job by an "outrage mob". People often say what is popular and most people are keen to avoid any public outrage or criticism.

Presumably, your opinions on the CPS Inspectorate findings are - like the report - based on an extensive study of the evidence, including a detailed review of at least 450 cases, interviews with legal managers, lawyers and associated documents. And your rejection of the Victims' Commissioners report is likewise based on nothing less than hundreds of interviews. Because to dismiss them because they don't support your prejudices would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9443287/Professor-told-student-Oxford-University-rape-claim-cause-Boat-Race-cancelled.html

I experienced the same too. The racism was dealt with extremely efficiently in my case, as soon as I raised it (it took a long time for me to raise it). The bullying, less so unfortunately.

While I do think there are systemic problems with Oxford in many areas, I do still encourage people to apply there and would not dissuade all ethnic minority applicants from going :nah:

Am sorry that you went through all this. I hope you made official complaints to Oxford about what you experienced during or shortly after your time there?

All this said, I echo glassalice in that I'm not convinced that Oxford is substantially more racist (or full or rapists) than other unis and would be interested in seeing evidence to prove otherwise :yes:
Honestly, this story seems a little blown out of proportion. No surprise considering the publisher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending