The Student Room Group

Leaving home at 17- URGENT

So I’ve been doing bad academically, not bad really just nowhere near my grades that I should be getting.

My parent threatened to kick me out yesterday. I spoke with some of my friends last night while I knew they were sleeping to see if any of them and there parents wouldn’t mind taking me in. They said that they had no problem.

How could I stay and finish school on time if I leave home? I don’t want social involved but that’s almost inevitable. My school is open over Easter.

I just want to know my options
Is there a way for you to compromise with your parents to catch up? Can you get a tutor or perhaps stay on for an extra year at school? Or perhaps leave school and go to your local college.
There must be other avenues before arriving at you being forced to leave home.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been doing bad academically, not bad really just nowhere near my grades that I should be getting.

My parent threatened to kick me out yesterday. I spoke with some of my friends last night while I knew they were sleeping to see if any of them and there parents wouldn’t mind taking me in. They said that they had no problem.

How could I stay and finish school on time if I leave home? I don’t want social involved but that’s almost inevitable. My school is open over Easter.

I just want to know my options

I would advise that you get in touch with Childline, as this is a serious situation.

Something you need to be aware of is that asking another family to let you live with them would be a cost to them; if it happened, arrangements would need to be made for them to have some kind of financial provision for you.

I do think that it is rather extreme to threaten to make someone who is only 17 leave home.

It's odd, by the way, that you say 'my parent' - most English speakers would say 'my Mum' or 'my Dad'.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/
Reply 3
Original post by Kerzen
I would advise that you get in touch with Childline, as this is a serious situation.

Something you need to be aware of is that asking another family to let you live with them would be a cost to them; if it happened, arrangements would need to be made for them to have some kind of financial provision for you.

I do think that it is rather extreme to threaten to make someone who is only 17 leave home.

It's odd, by the way, that you say 'my parent' - most English speakers would say 'my Mum' or 'my Dad'.

I do not have much of a relationship with my father

I thought it through and realised I would only be able to find a temporary fix. The situation has seemed to have died down for now.
Reply 4
Original post by Genaro_
Is there a way for you to compromise with your parents to catch up? Can you get a tutor or perhaps stay on for an extra year at school? Or perhaps leave school and go to your local college.
There must be other avenues before arriving at you being forced to leave home.

nope she is adamant on me going down a certain path
I do not have the same freedom as my brothers do.
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen

The situation is starting up again. However, I have spoken to friends and they are more than happy to take me in. One my friends parent is fully aware of the situation. In terms of finance I do have some money saved that I have access to immediately the rest is with my parent (savings for uni) but I never planned on ever having to touch it.
Reply 6
nope she is adamant on me going down a certain path
I do not have the same freedom as my brothers do.

What path is that?

Are you going to University next year?
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
What path is that?

Are you going to University next year?

yeah I am going to get the grades tho first
Reply 8
yeah I am going to get the grades tho first

Are you saying that your family want you to study a subject you don't really want to study yourself?
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
Are you saying that your family want you to study a subject you don't really want to study yourself?

its not that I dont want to study it- i want to do well in the subject. my school isn't really being supportive and I'm currently experiencing depression since nov.

teachers have noticed and they have encouraged me to just quit
Reply 10
its not that I dont want to study it- i want to do well in the subject. my school isn't really being supportive and I'm currently experiencing depression since nov.

teachers have noticed and they have encouraged me to just quit

Your teachers have seen that you are struggling and have told you to just give up on your A Levels?

Which A Levels are you studying and what are you hoping to read at University?
Original post by Kerzen
Your teachers have seen that you are struggling and have told you to just give up on your A Levels?

Which A Levels are you studying and what are you hoping to read at University?

i do a level maths chemistry physics and psychology
i hope to read psychology next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending