The Student Room Group

Physics A level dynamics question

I am confused about the mark scheme answer for part d(ii) in the following question:

Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 7.26.08 pm.png
Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 7.25.56 pm.png
This is the mark scheme answer:

Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 4.44.11 pm.png

Instead of using v = at as the mark scheme does, I used v = sqrt(2*a*s), where s = 1.0m and a = 9.8/s. But my method gives 4.4m/s and the mark scheme says 4.1m/s. Why is my method incorrect here?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Orlqndo
I am confused about the mark scheme answer for this following question:

Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 4.42.18 pm.png
Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 4.42.33 pm.png

This is the mark scheme answer:

Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 4.44.11 pm.png

Instead of using v = at as the mark scheme does, I used v = sqrt(2*a*s), where s = 1.0m and a = 9.8/s. But my method gives 4.4m/s and the mark scheme says 4.1m/s. Why is my method incorrect here?

Maybe this is me being stupid, but the mark scheme you've screenshotted shows the answer to Part 2, but the question is for Part 3
Reply 2
Original post by Kerchoo95
Maybe this is me being stupid, but the mark scheme you've screenshotted shows the answer to Part 2, but the question is for Part 3

Yup, part 1 and 2 are missing which may be needed to answer the OP's question.
Reply 3
Original post by 0le
Yup, part 1 and 2 are missing which may be needed to answer the OP's question.

Sorry my bad - I've edited the original post so it has the entire question. My question is about part d(ii).
Original post by Orlqndo
Sorry my bad - I've edited the original post so it has the entire question. My question is about part d(ii).

Be careful reading the question.

Part d states 'after leaving the ramp at B the skateboarder lands at C 0.42 seconds later.

The question wants you to use the time value stated and hence the appropriate suvat is v = u + at
Original post by Orlqndo

The information given in the question is not consistent with suvat.

To descend 1m with zero initial velocity would take 0.452s (3sig.fig.) using g=9.8m/s/s - not 0.42s. And that's why you get a different answer if you use v2=u2+2asv^2=u^2+2as

As @uberteknik said, they're expecting you to use v=u+atv=u+at

There's nothing wrong with your working, IMO - it's just a very poorly constructed question.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest