The Student Room Group

How to get your hair cut short as a girl?

Ok so I want to cut my hair short (not right now but sometime before uni) and I'm wondering where I can get it cut like that?

Does anyone have any tips on how I can avoid places that will give me the Karen haircut?

Do women salons usually do short hair cuts?
Any great hair cut recommendations? I'm adventurous so I'm open to almost anything.

Atm, I'm not sure how short I want it or if I really want it. I'm trying to figure stuff out. I'm just thinking ahead and looking for information because I love to make informed choices.
Any hairdresser will be able to cut it short for you. Just show them a photograph of what you're after and they'll replicate it.

If you are looking for a more traditionally masculine haircut it is typically cheaper to go to a barber for upkeep after the big chop.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Like post two said, find a picture on Google and show them what you want, and also make sure to clarify what you dont.
You could ask the hairdresser to cut it to a bob first since you're unsure. You'll be able to feel and see yourself without such long hair, and if you really end up hating it its not so hard to grow out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Grade 2 all over! Do it! Do it now!
Reply 4
Original post by sinfonietta
Any hairdresser will be able to cut it short for you. Just show them a photograph of what you're after and they'll replicate it.

If you are looking for a more traditionally masculine haircut it is typically cheaper to go to a barber for upkeep after the big chop.

Really? I just kinda assumed that salons typically only do long hair cuts. I'm not gonna lie, this is new info for me.

I shall look for some good pictures.
Reply 5
Original post by Foxehh
Like post two said, find a picture on Google and show them what you want, and also make sure to clarify what you dont.
You could ask the hairdresser to cut it to a bob first since you're unsure. You'll be able to feel and see yourself without such long hair, and if you really end up hating it its not so hard to grow out.

I had a bob before (before quarantine, my hair grew out a lot since then), so I'm gonna go for something shorter.

Worse case possible, i might start wearing wigs lol
Reply 6
Original post by spanker

Thank you for the encouragement <3
Reply 7
Original post by spanker

Personally I think people look better if their sides and back are 1 grade shorter than the top.
Reply 8
Original post by Mruczega
Thank you for the encouragement <3

I think a pixie cut really suits some women, it migjht be best if you can to visit the salon/hairdresser ahead of time and ask them what they think would look nice on you then look up those kind of hairstyles.
Shave it and see what happens

7/10 would recommend
Subsequent to cutting off a friendship, a lady may trim her hair as a method of dismissing what her identity was required to be. For instance, if your ex cherished you with long, light hair, you may respond by trimming it short or coloring it dim as a method of dismissing who he needed you to be.
Reply 11
Original post by andrewflintoff
Subsequent to cutting off a friendship, a lady may trim her hair as a method of dismissing what her identity was required to be. For instance, if your ex cherished you with long, light hair, you may respond by trimming it short or coloring it dim as a method of dismissing who he needed you to be.

Emmmm, what kind of a response is this?
ask for a "number two"
As an ex-hairdresser, I'd advise making sure you understand the haircut you found on a cool pic online. Find it shown from different angles (video is much better) and live with it for a couple of days. Only then go to the salon.
Reply 14
Original post by MichaelaDor
As an ex-hairdresser, I'd advise making sure you understand the haircut you found on a cool pic online. Find it shown from different angles (video is much better) and live with it for a couple of days. Only then go to the salon.

Thank you, that is an excellent point and a very useful piece of advice.
Go do a unisex hairdresser. If it looks like its all going to **** in the mirror stop them half-way. Too many hairdressers take too much off.
ask for a number 1 back and sides, short on top
Cut it up
To ur shoulders no more
My sisters cut theirs
Also don’t cut it straight as a ruler
Ask the barber for 'Short back and sides'. Have I helped you, today?

Quick Reply

Latest