The Student Room Group

I'm stuck with my uni subject!!

Hi I'm Rosie, I'm 17 and for the past 2 years I was certain that I wanted study law. however, when the first lockdown hit I became uncertain as I started to get more and more into art.Going back to school ucas applications began and I was torn between art and law, however at the time I felt a strong passion towards art and so decided to apply to an art course. I have now been accepted into multiple art courses with my student finance also being approved of.however, I am still conflicted between law and art. I know I shouldn't feel this way as I haven't even begun my art degree yet, however I don't think that I can see myself doing this degree and cannot stop thinking about studying law. I know that this is long and thank you to anyone reading, but I really don't know what to do. My path for art is already set but I don't think I can walk down it. Furthermore I don't know how to begin applying for a new course as I am worried that rejecting my accepted offers will make other applications ( as well as my student loan) hesitant to accept me.Please could you help me out or recommend what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

You have put yourself in a difficult position. If you are sure you don't want to do art then you can decline all offers and go into UCAS Extra and apply for Law. It does mean that your preferred unis may be full so you end up having to go to the university of Scunthorpe to study Law.
You can decline all your options and apply through extra for another course eg Law. You can also ask your current university whether you can switch. You can also take a gap year to give yourself more time to come to a decision. Only you can decide what you want.
Original post by mike23mike
You have put yourself in a difficult position. If you are sure you don't want to do art then you can decline all offers and go into UCAS Extra and apply for Law. It does mean that your preferred unis may be full so you end up having to go to the university of Scunthorpe to study Law.

That again is total rubbish. There are likely to be many good universities available. Some leading ones will be closed but loads of others will be accepting applications.

OP Here is a list of universities accepting students in clearing for Law in 2019. There were some very good ones available. Dont believe the rubbish this guy is spouting. Not everyone wants to go to Oxbridge or similar.

Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points
Reply 4

yes, I am aware that I have put myself in a difficult position and because of this I have been stuck as to what I should do. Thank you for your reply, I will take this into consideration.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
That again is total rubbish. There are likely to be many good universities available. Some leading ones will be closed but loads of others will be accepting applications.

OP Here is a list of universities accepting students in clearing for Law in 2019. There were some very good ones available. Dont believe the rubbish this guy is spouting. Not everyone wants to go to Oxbridge or similar.

Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points

wow thank you so much for this reply! so detailed! I'm not the most studious person so I am not all that interested in the oxbridge universities. As long as I am able to study law I think I will be happy. ( I guess I just need to work on a personal statement and begin with my applications once more)
Original post by rosielouixe
Hi I'm Rosie, I'm 17 and for the past 2 years I was certain that I wanted study law. however, when the first lockdown hit I became uncertain as I started to get more and more into art.Going back to school ucas applications began and I was torn between art and law, however at the time I felt a strong passion towards art and so decided to apply to an art course. I have now been accepted into multiple art courses with my student finance also being approved of.however, I am still conflicted between law and art. I know I shouldn't feel this way as I haven't even begun my art degree yet, however I don't think that I can see myself doing this degree and cannot stop thinking about studying law. I know that this is long and thank you to anyone reading, but I really don't know what to do. My path for art is already set but I don't think I can walk down it. Furthermore I don't know how to begin applying for a new course as I am worried that rejecting my accepted offers will make other applications ( as well as my student loan) hesitant to accept me.Please could you help me out or recommend what I should do?

If you do decide on Law, you won't be 'disadvantaged' by applying through clearing or Extra (apart from fewer places being avaliable).
That said, are you aware of law conversion courses etc? Not doing a law undergrad doesn't mean you couldn't study law in future, and you could try and get work experience during your art degree if you haven't already to see if you like it?

Ultimately it's up to you to make a decision - have you done work experience or taster days, written out a pros and cons list, spoken to lawyers or people in artistic fields etc...?
Reply 7
Original post by becausethenight
If you do decide on Law, you won't be 'disadvantaged' by applying through clearing or Extra (apart from fewer places being avaliable).
That said, are you aware of law conversion courses etc? Not doing a law undergrad doesn't mean you couldn't study law in future, and you could try and get work experience during your art degree if you haven't already to see if you like it?

Ultimately it's up to you to make a decision - have you done work experience or taster days, written out a pros and cons list, spoken to lawyers or people in artistic fields etc...?

thank you for your comment. No I haven't been able to get any work experience, and it's not that I don't like art. I still love art and have a passion for it, but my main reason for studying art was never for the actual art (if this makes sense). A career im interested in is creative/ artistic directing, a fine art degree is needed. However, I can't stop thinking about studying law, especially as it was what I had originally planned to do. As I continually think about studying law, I feel as if choosing art has been the wrong choice and that I will regret not doing law. Also, no I have not heard of conversion courses so thank you for introducing this to me, I will have to look into this and have a good think about what my next steps will be (I may take a gap year to clear everything and start a fresh application)
wow thank you so much for this reply! so detailed! I'm not the most studious person so I am not all that interested in the oxbridge universities. As long as I am able to study law I think I will be happy. ( I guess I just need to work on a personal statement and begin with my applications once more)

Under extra you are only able to apply to 1 university and you have to give up all your offers. If you get rejected then you move to another. You can only use the 1 PS you already have but you can ask the university if they will accept a new one. Many universities wont even look at your PS. Decide on a couple of universities in order then ring around to see if they are accepting applications and what grades they require. Avoid any university asking for LNAT as they will likely be full.
thank you for your comment. No I haven't been able to get any work experience, and it's not that I don't like art. I still love art and have a passion for it, but my main reason for studying art was never for the actual art (if this makes sense). A career im interested in is creative/ artistic directing, a fine art degree is needed. However, I can't stop thinking about studying law, especially as it was what I had originally planned to do. As I continually think about studying law, I feel as if choosing art has been the wrong choice and that I will regret not doing law. Also, no I have not heard of conversion courses so thank you for introducing this to me, I will have to look into this and have a good think about what my next steps will be (I may take a gap year to clear everything and start a fresh application)

I think in that case, it would be good to take some time for work experience and to look into conversion courses (which I understand are often more popular than a first law degree anyway). You’ll want to make sure law is actually for you and that you enjoy it, not just the ‘idea’ of it!

A gap year might be a good idea if you’re unsure so that you can go into your degree fully committed.
Reply 10
My friend wanted to do law but it didn’t manage to come together. She ended up doing her undergraduate degree in Fine Art and doing a law conversion after. She’s currently studying for the bar. Have the best of both worlds! There’s so much still open
Original post by Owl98
My friend wanted to do law but it didn’t manage to come together. She ended up doing her undergraduate degree in Fine Art and doing a law conversion after. She’s currently studying for the bar. Have the best of both worlds! There’s so much still open

wow this is so similar to my situation! art and law! I was told by my teachers that it was a weird combination! I think I really will need to look into this law conversion! thank you so much for your reply!
I think in that case, it would be good to take some time for work experience and to look into conversion courses (which I understand are often more popular than a first law degree anyway). You’ll want to make sure law is actually for you and that you enjoy it, not just the ‘idea’ of it!

A gap year might be a good idea if you’re unsure so that you can go into your degree fully committed.

after seeing a few of these replies I may continue doing art and then do a conversion! I'll still need to look into it, but it seems like a good idea! yes that's what I was thinking with the gap year. Hopefully everything will come together eventually. thanks for all of your replies!!
Original post by swanseajack1
Under extra you are only able to apply to 1 university and you have to give up all your offers. If you get rejected then you move to another. You can only use the 1 PS you already have but you can ask the university if they will accept a new one. Many universities wont even look at your PS. Decide on a couple of universities in order then ring around to see if they are accepting applications and what grades they require. Avoid any university asking for LNAT as they will likely be full.

ah I see. I didn't know about this! thank you !

Please take the 2019 data you have been provided with a huge pinch of salt. This is pre-covid/pre-Brexit data so cannot be used in today's climate. Whilst the applications from Europe are down by 40%, there has been an upturn in UK applications to uni because there are few job prospects. "A record 570,475 people were accepted through UCAS to start an undergraduate course in the 2020 cycle."

2021 looks to be no different. As of June 2020 there were 652,790 applications via UCAS. As of Jan 2021 there were 616,360 applicants (will creep up by June 2021 as people go into Extra).

Look HERE for a Guardian article from Feb 2021. Quoting from that article, "Last year so many students accepted places at popular universities that several were forced to ask students to defer for a year." Thus there will be fewer places available in the top unis in Sept 2021 because unis have to honour places for students from last year whose grades were upgraded once the school predicted grades were used by the Government. Again, quoting from the same article, "Bella Malins, director of admissions at University College London, said her university . . . has been making offers cautiously after it was overwhelmed by demand last year."

In short, if you have applied for art and now have had a change of heart and wish to study law you have put yourself in a difficult position because you will have to reject the offers for art you currently hold and go through Extra to apply for law - I think Swanseajack1 and I agree on that point at least.

All the unis have a quota to meet and have been making offers for several months. Once they meet their offer target they will shut up shop and not go into Extra. I was the recruitment officer for Business Studies in a UK university and for the 300 seats available I knew from past data that I needed to make about 1000 offers. Once I hit my 1000 offers I stopped. Why go into Extra if I have hit my quota of offers?

Don't take my word for it - reject your offers and go into Extra and see if the unis Swanseajack listed are there or not. If they are, great news, you will get to go to a decent uni like Lancaster or Birmingham.
For the most part. At this stage. Student loan shouldn’t be affected.

People get into universities through clearing fine with student loans so it’s proof.
Please take the 2019 data you have been provided with a huge pinch of salt. This is pre-covid/pre-Brexit data so cannot be used in today's climate. Whilst the applications from Europe are down by 40%, there has been an upturn in UK applications to uni because there are few job prospects. "A record 570,475 people were accepted through UCAS to start an undergraduate course in the 2020 cycle."

2021 looks to be no different. As of June 2020 there were 652,790 applications via UCAS. As of Jan 2021 there were 616,360 applicants (will creep up by June 2021 as people go into Extra).

Look HERE for a Guardian article from Feb 2021. Quoting from that article, "Last year so many students accepted places at popular universities that several were forced to ask students to defer for a year." Thus there will be fewer places available in the top unis in Sept 2021 because unis have to honour places for students from last year whose grades were upgraded once the school predicted grades were used by the Government. Again, quoting from the same article, "Bella Malins, director of admissions at University College London, said her university . . . has been making offers cautiously after it was overwhelmed by demand last year."

In short, if you have applied for art and now have had a change of heart and wish to study law you have put yourself in a difficult position because you will have to reject the offers for art you currently hold and go through Extra to apply for law - I think Swanseajack1 and I agree on that point at least.

All the unis have a quota to meet and have been making offers for several months. Once they meet their offer target they will shut up shop and not go into Extra. I was the recruitment officer for Business Studies in a UK university and for the 300 seats available I knew from past data that I needed to make about 1000 offers. Once I hit my 1000 offers I stopped. Why go into Extra if I have hit my quota of offers?

Don't take my word for it - reject your offers and go into Extra and see if the unis Swanseajack listed are there or not. If they are, great news, you will get to go to a decent uni like Lancaster or Birmingham.

The reality is that over the last 10 years the number of universities in clearing has increased massively. UCL has as far as I know never been in clearing. Neither has LSE, Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford. Durham rarely has courses in it. However the rest are in clearing EVERY year but not for every subject.

The situation this year is very difficult to predict. There are tens of thousands less EC students going to come here this year due to now having to pay international fees. There is also likely to be many overseas students not coming due to covid. Universities need to fill these spaces by using UK applicants. Last year the UK government capped these amounts in an effort to stop some universities suffering severe financial problems.

Yes there are problems with people being deferred due to the pigs ear of a mess created by the government due to increased grades because of CAGs but to suggest someone wont get into a decent university is conjecture on your part and rather typical of the kind of things you constantly post. There are well over a hundred universities in the UK and your efforts to downplay nearly of them except your beloved RG group does nothing to help prospective students. There will likely be a few RG universities accepting students on law courses plus numerous other very good universities,
law is more better than art

tbh many unis dont do extra or clearing. hell even my crap middling uni didn't participate half the time. it gave out offers to everyone who applied so it didn't need to :biggrin:

why are you trying to scare the op lol
You can do an LLB and then an art master's, and then work in the art world. I know someone who did that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending