The Student Room Group

Nottingham A101 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone considering the student halls in Derby at all? Also how would we go about organising renting private accommodation with each other. Would this be touched on at the offer day?
Original post by Confused_GradMed
Hi guys,

Congrats to everyone on your offers 🎉🎉🎉 I’m so glad we have a forum! I’ve been trying to get organised and plan out what I need to do now that I’ve accepted my offer, but there’s some stuff I haven’t been able to find online, and unfortunately I haven’t been able to get through to the uni (probably because of Easter break), so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help?

1. Does anyone know what our term dates are? I’ve been able to find general undergrad dates, but I’m assuming our course might be a little different, and I’m uncertain of whether I will need to apply for a 42 or 52 week contract for accommodation.

2. I’ve seen that our offers are subject to a DBS clearance and an occupational health check. Do we know if the uni will be contacting us about this, or is this something we need to organise independently? I’m already subscribed to the enhanced DBS update service but I wasn’t sure if this is something that I need to reapply for.

3. I’ve seen that some of you have been invited to the virtual offer holders day, but unfortunately I’ve not received an invite yet. Can I ask when abouts your received the email? I’ve emailed the events team about this but I haven’t heard back and I’m concerned about the event filling up before I have a chance to register 😂

Sorry for all of the questions! I would be grateful for any advice that you can give me, and I will make sure to watch the thread and return the favour wherever I can ☺️

Just to help you out with the first two questions, this year we started on 7th September and our final exam is on 22nd June. And the university will organise DBS and occupational health, you'll get an email when there's anything you need to do on your side.
Original post by cdclements
Is anyone considering the student halls in Derby at all? Also how would we go about organising renting private accommodation with each other. Would this be touched on at the offer day?

Honestly would never go in halls again after undergrad first year. And social media I guess
Original post by Confused_GradMed
Hi guys,

Congrats to everyone on your offers 🎉🎉🎉 I’m so glad we have a forum! I’ve been trying to get organised and plan out what I need to do now that I’ve accepted my offer, but there’s some stuff I haven’t been able to find online, and unfortunately I haven’t been able to get through to the uni (probably because of Easter break), so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help?

1. Does anyone know what our term dates are? I’ve been able to find general undergrad dates, but I’m assuming our course might be a little different, and I’m uncertain of whether I will need to apply for a 42 or 52 week contract for accommodation.

2. I’ve seen that our offers are subject to a DBS clearance and an occupational health check. Do we know if the uni will be contacting us about this, or is this something we need to organise independently? I’m already subscribed to the enhanced DBS update service but I wasn’t sure if this is something that I need to reapply for.

3. I’ve seen that some of you have been invited to the virtual offer holders day, but unfortunately I’ve not received an invite yet. Can I ask when abouts your received the email? I’ve emailed the events team about this but I haven’t heard back and I’m concerned about the event filling up before I have a chance to register 😂

Sorry for all of the questions! I would be grateful for any advice that you can give me, and I will make sure to watch the thread and return the favour wherever I can ☺️

If you've not received the invite email the mhs support email /Tim Blessed and I'm sure he'd be happy to resend you the invite. :smile:
Found a really nice house in Beeston on accommodationforstudent.com, it's a 4 bed and really cheap (114pp/pw) I don't know how we go about organising something like this but I think it's a good idea to start looking now so they're not all taken up by September.
Original post by tinglybananaman
Found a really nice house in Beeston on accommodationforstudent.com, it's a 4 bed and really cheap (114pp/pw) I don't know how we go about organising something like this but I think it's a good idea to start looking now so they're not all taken up by September.

I've been looking as well and found a bunch of places! Assuming we find a group of us interested somehow?
Original post by Camdenspaige
I've been looking as well and found a bunch of places! Assuming we find a group of us interested somehow?

Yeah essentially, since we don't have any way of contacting one another other than this forum but I'm certain up for living with other students in a house.
Which areas are people considering living in?
Reply 68
Original post by myoung8898
Hey there, current 1st year here to answer any and all queries you have! Right now our weeks look like this;
Tuesdays 9:00 to 11:30 is PBL. This is currently online for us, but I imagine it will be back in person for you guys if all is well. At 11:30 Tuesday all the lectures for that week get released, it varies widely but it’s generally around 5 hours worth of stuff that we do completely in our own time over the week. You also have PBL on Friday mornings 9:00 to 11:00. Clinical skills is currently in person and we have that 1:30 to 5:00 on either Tuesdays or Fridays. The days of PBL and clinical skills will be the same through your whole first year. The only other in person thing is anatomy sessions, we currently only have one of those per module (so 6 in total over first year) but I think they did them more frequently in non COVID times. It’s obviously impossible to predict what the course will be like for you guys but I hope this helped anyway 😁

Thank you so much this was so helpful!
Original post by Rosie25391

Preferably on the Derby side of Nottingham (Beeston, Lenton) but open to Derby or other parts of Nottingham too.

Near Royal Derby Hospital :smile: Would want to rent w 3 or 4 others.
Personally, I think that I would probably want to rent near the RDH, as a lot of the course will probably be based there at the start. Although, I would be open to looking at other areas 😁Are there any particular benefits of living in Nottingham over Derby?
Personally, I think that I would probably want to rent near the RDH, as a lot of the course will probably be based there at the start.

Same here, also @cdclements is looking there as well I think?

I'm trying to desperately get to know people even a little bit before renting because sharing a flat in lockdown with a complete stranger has been an experience 😓😱 which I hope to avoid 😂 Although not being actively in lockdown and/or being able to escape to the library will be a big help. 😅
Original post by auburnstar
Same here, also @cdclements is looking there as well I think?

I'm trying to desperately get to know people even a little bit before renting because sharing a flat in lockdown with a complete stranger has been an experience 😓😱 which I hope to avoid 😂 Although not being actively in lockdown and/or being able to escape to the library will be a big help. 😅

Yeah, I'm hoping once we have the offer holder day or something we'll be able to connect and get to know each other a little!

I'm still undecided about being near RDH or Notts, but open to both!
Def keen to live with fellow grad medics for the first year.
I agree about getting to know people before renting. Sharing with people you don’t know at all could be tricky, especially at the moment. 😅 Hopefully we won’t be as restricted by September, but we’ll have to see!
I agree about getting to know people before renting. Sharing with people you don’t know at all could be tricky, especially at the moment. 😅 Hopefully we won’t be as restricted by September, but we’ll have to see!

Afaik unless there's another random variant and another full lockdown the library / uni will still be open albeit possibly reduced hours. That's my plan anyway. 😂 I've had 2/3 generally acceptable rental experiences in the past so that's somewhat reassuring. 😂

Does anyone know if we can claim placement travel costs back in 1st year or only in years 2-4?
(edited 3 years ago)
Afaik unless there's another random variant and another full lockdown the library / uni will still be open albeit possibly reduced hours. That's my plan anyway. 😂 I've had 2/3 generally acceptable rental experiences in the past so that's somewhat reassuring. 😂

Does anyone know if we can claim placement travel costs back in 1st year or only in years 2-4?

If I'm not mistaken I think we can. Is it not done via the NHS Bursary though as opposed to being from the actual uni? I'm not 100% sure but I think that's how it works.
Just another reminder of TSR rules:

Off site social media group chats are not allowed anywhere on TSR, including via PMs.

This is for your protection as we don't know who makes them, and who joins them.

Please do not ask, mention or advertise them in the forum; or attempt to take discussion off our forum.

We can't verify whether you are a "rep" or not - if you can, get the official TSR rep to post the group chat link and we'll allow that.

Post originally created by ecolier.
I know that the uni pays for DBS check and 2nd check if course > 3years. I have a DBS on the update service (enhanced child & adult) - does anyone know if the uni covers the yearly DBS update service fee?

If you're driving to GP placement you can (well at least you could) claim some money back if you're taking other students too. As far as I remember, there was nothing for buses etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending