The Student Room Group

zoology

can I do a zoology degree to progress into vet med? ony the rvc graduate entry to vet med says zoology is accepted as a 2:1 degree, but i havent seen any others say it. Is this possible?
Doing another degree with the intention of going into vet med as a graduate is not a great idea because it is extremely expensive to do that, since there is very limited funding to get a second degree in vet med (I think only maintenance loan). You would be better off applying to vet med as a first degree (and if necessary taking/retaking the required A-levels).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Doing another degree with the intention of going into vet med as a graduate is not a great idea because it is extremely expensive to do that, since there is very limited funding to get a second degree in vet med (I think only maintenance loan). You would be better off applying to vet med as a first degree (and if necessary taking/retaking the required A-levels).

I understand it is expensive but I did a Btec level 3 extended diploma in animal management, and no where accepts that to get into vet med, only rvc gateway to vet med, but it says widening participant background and I dont think I would be able to. I didnt do a levels so my only option is to apply to a different degree and then progress on. I understand how expensive it will be but I am planning to finish the first degree, take a few years out to get a job and then come back and do the second degree. I just want to know if it is possible if i can do zoology to get onto vet med
Original post by Lea438
I understand it is expensive but I did a Btec level 3 extended diploma in animal management, and no where accepts that to get into vet med, only rvc gateway to vet med, but it says widening participant background and I dont think I would be able to. I didnt do a levels so my only option is to apply to a different degree and then progress on. I understand how expensive it will be but I am planning to finish the first degree, take a few years out to get a job and then come back and do the second degree. I just want to know if it is possible if i can do zoology to get onto vet med

Honestly you would be better off taking A-levels or doing an Access course which is acceptable for a vet med degree than doing another degree first. You would need to pay c.£9000 a year for 5-6 years doing vet med as a second degree, out of pocket. It's an enormous cost. Taking a few years out now to get work experience and take the necessary science A-levels would be much better - also if you begin the A-level course before you turn 19 then you shouldn't have to pay for it I believe, and even if you don't you can get an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the costs, which won't affect your future eligibility for funding from Student Finance for a degree (which doing a degree will).
Reply 4
Honestly you would be better off taking A-levels or doing an Access course which is acceptable for a vet med degree than doing another degree first. You would need to pay c.£9000 a year for 5-6 years doing vet med as a second degree, out of pocket. It's an enormous cost. Taking a few years out now to get work experience and take the necessary science A-levels would be much better - also if you begin the A-level course before you turn 19 then you shouldn't have to pay for it I believe, and even if you don't you can get an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the costs, which won't affect your future eligibility for funding from Student Finance for a degree (which doing a degree will).

But no gateway vet courses will accept my qualification. and I dont want to do A levels, I dont have the gcse requirements even if i do a levels because some want gcses at As and Bs
Original post by Lea438
But no gateway vet courses will accept my qualification. and I dont want to do A levels, I dont have the gcse requirements even if i do a levels because some want gcses at As and Bs

Why don't you want to do A-levels?

In terms of GCSEs you would need to look at the requirements of different vet schools, as they may vary. Cambridge for example I believe has no GCSE requirements, and they do not typically weigh them that heavily.
Reply 6
Why don't you want to do A-levels?

In terms of GCSEs you would need to look at the requirements of different vet schools, as they may vary. Cambridge for example I believe has no GCSE requirements, and they do not typically weigh them that heavily.

I dont want to do a levels because that means i would have to take a level chemistry and i can barely just about do a simple equation!
Original post by Lea438
I dont want to do a levels because that means i would have to take a level chemistry and i can barely just about do a simple equation!

I suspect this requirement isn't an arbitrary one and it's because a vet med degree will expect you to have some background in chemistry to be able to understand the content. Also even outside of vet med specifically, there will be chemistry related topics in a zoology degree (in e.g. biochemistry and molecular biology in animals, related topics on metabolism, possible some aspects of physiology) and you may need to do a module covering at least some of GCSE and A-level Chemistry in first year if you haven't studied it since GCSE.

Also even if you apply as a graduate to a vet med degree, they may require you to have A-level Chemistry and/or Biology or to have covered equivalent material in your degree beforehand anyway. So I don't think you are really able to "avoid" this. If the entire idea here is to avoid doing any chemistry then you may need to spend some more carefully looking at the course and entry requirements and make sure it is something you will be able to meet in future and deal with at some point if necessray.
Reply 8
I suspect this requirement isn't an arbitrary one and it's because a vet med degree will expect you to have some background in chemistry to be able to understand the content. Also even outside of vet med specifically, there will be chemistry related topics in a zoology degree (in e.g. biochemistry and molecular biology in animals, related topics on metabolism, possible some aspects of physiology) and you may need to do a module covering at least some of GCSE and A-level Chemistry in first year if you haven't studied it since GCSE.

Also even if you apply as a graduate to a vet med degree, they may require you to have A-level Chemistry and/or Biology or to have covered equivalent material in your degree beforehand anyway. So I don't think you are really able to "avoid" this. If the entire idea here is to avoid doing any chemistry then you may need to spend some more carefully looking at the course and entry requirements and make sure it is something you will be able to meet in future and deal with at some point if necessray.

I think its a bad idea to try to become a vet anyway because of the amount of exams and work that will need to be done, i literally will not be able to cope. I can barely just cope getting my assignments in on time on my course. My second option has always been vet nursing or zoology and i would much prefer dogs and cats so i think i might go for veterinary nursing instead even though the salary is very poor. I know this sounds like im giving up on my dream but my mental health will not be able to cope having so much work and studying. Besides, I will still be with animals and that is all i care about, working with them and making them better
Original post by Lea438
I think its a bad idea to try to become a vet anyway because of the amount of exams and work that will need to be done, i literally will not be able to cope. I can barely just cope getting my assignments in on time on my course. My second option has always been vet nursing or zoology and i would much prefer dogs and cats so i think i might go for veterinary nursing instead even though the salary is very poor. I know this sounds like im giving up on my dream but my mental health will not be able to cope having so much work and studying. Besides, I will still be with animals and that is all i care about, working with them and making them better

I think that is a very good reason to decide against vet med, actually - because invariably there will be a lot of exams in a degree like that. If that is something you struggle with then it's important to take account of that and prioritise your own wellbeing. You may want to explore apprenticeship routes to vet nursing as well as degrees, if that is what you are thinking you would be interested in, as that might be a good way to qualify while also being able to earn money in the process.

It should be noted though that zoology is the scientific study of animals, rather than a course in their care or welfare, and will be necessarily academic as a result (and likely involve at least some exams, if not quite a few). If you are more interested in working with and caring for animals practically then vet nursing sounds like it might be more suited to your interests, especially if you are mainly interested in small companion animal care as opposed to e.g. the science behind mollusc respiration or something. Zoology often focuses a lot on the animals which have larger roles or importance ecologically, such as insects, corals, and so on, or focuses on more general models of animal structure and function (e.g. general mammalian physiology, rather than specifically canine/feline/giraffe, etc!).
Reply 10
I think that is a very good reason to decide against vet med, actually - because invariably there will be a lot of exams in a degree like that. If that is something you struggle with then it's important to take account of that and prioritise your own wellbeing. You may want to explore apprenticeship routes to vet nursing as well as degrees, if that is what you are thinking you would be interested in, as that might be a good way to qualify while also being able to earn money in the process.

It should be noted though that zoology is the scientific study of animals, rather than a course in their care or welfare, and will be necessarily academic as a result (and likely involve at least some exams, if not quite a few). If you are more interested in working with and caring for animals practically then vet nursing sounds like it might be more suited to your interests, especially if you are mainly interested in small companion animal care as opposed to e.g. the science behind mollusc respiration or something. Zoology often focuses a lot on the animals which have larger roles or importance ecologically, such as insects, corals, and so on, or focuses on more general models of animal structure and function (e.g. general mammalian physiology, rather than specifically canine/feline/giraffe, etc!).

Yes, thank you for the help, I just think like you said for my mental wellbeing it is better that i dont force myself to do something if i wouldnt be able to handle it. My parents would like me to get a degree in something as degrees give you a better oppertunity for jobs and roles. Veterinary nursing would also be a good idea because it spending more time with animals than a vet does and animals help me calm down and reduce my anxiety. Thank you this was very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest