The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SetethFlayn
The idea of vaccine passports just goes against every liberal instinct I have. I know people will say 'well why not take the vaccine? Why not get a test?' but my response is 'well, shouldn't they be able to choose?'. Even if you think it's the morally correct thing to do, it's still not your business whether people do or not- there could be all manner of reasons why they don't, and with such a massive population it's not unreasonable to assume at least some of em won't be. It's nosy at best, and discriminatory at worst- in fact, it's coercion. Don't want to? OK then- you are now excluded. Since when has that been an acceptable mindset for a liberal democracy? To go abroad, fair enough. But not within your own country. This is gonna erode trust in the gov even more, maybe even cause people to not take the vaccine out of said mistrust. A recipe for disaster logistically as well. Whatever next?

I get where you're coming from but I still don't want to sit next to someone with covid on a plane
Original post by harrysbar
I get where you're coming from but I still don't want to sit next to someone with covid on a plane

would you sit next to someone who has ebola?

My point being us humans carry all sorts and shed it whatever we touch or breathe on. But thats why we have immune systems. And to keep the immune system strong we need viruses and bacteria to absorb that will strengthen it as well as a good diet etc. But if your scared of viruses then I simply suggest you stay home in an air tight room in an air cycled chamber. Thats the only way you could keep viruses away. But thats not life is it. Covid is but a virus that may or may not make you ill. And that goes with a lot of viral infections.

Say you go on a plane and you have %100 guarantee theres no one with covid. Okay good for you. But it doesnt change the fact a plane can incur problems like turbine or engine failure or system malfunction. So even if theres no covid theres always something worse than may or may not kill you.

Last year the tv kept telling me to stay in and dont mix with people. But I still had to go to work and mix with hundreds of people a week. Thats not killed me but I have more chances of dying from a car accident because I have to cross 4 roads to get to work, 2 of them containing zebra crossings which not everyone will even see and drive on, Iv had loads of people stop sharply in front of me because they dont pay proper attention. Something will eventually kill you. So stop protecting yourself from things youve never had control over
Original post by anime<3gaming

My point being us humans carry all sorts and shed it whatever we touch or breathe on. But thats why we have immune systems. And to keep the immune system strong we need viruses and bacteria to absorb that will strengthen it as well as a good diet etc. But if your scared of viruses then I simply suggest you stay home in an air tight room in an air cycled chamber. Thats the only way you could keep viruses away. But thats not life is it. Covid is but a virus that may or may not make you ill. And that goes with a lot of viral infections.

Say you go on a plane and you have %100 guarantee theres no one with covid. Okay good for you. But it doesnt change the fact a plane can incur problems like turbine or engine failure or system malfunction. So even if theres no covid theres always something worse than may or may not kill you.

Last year the tv kept telling me to stay in and dont mix with people. But I still had to go to work and mix with hundreds of people a week. Thats not killed me but I have more chances of dying from a car accident because I have to cross 4 roads to get to work, 2 of them containing zebra crossings which not everyone will even see and drive on, Iv had loads of people stop sharply in front of me because they dont pay proper attention. Something will eventually kill you. So stop protecting yourself from things youve never had control over

That's ridiculous to compare me not wanting to sit next to someone with covid on a plane to me being suited to staying at home in an air tight room in an air cycled chamber. I just want airlines to take what I consider reasonable precautions to protect their customers (which all airlines will do I believe in the form of vaccine passports or testing). I still had to go to work too as I'm a key worker, but that doesn't mean that I don't welcome vaccine passports/covid testing at airports. Some saftey measures we do have control over, and this is going to be one of the things the airline industry is going to put into place whether you like it or not.

Do you often take flights domestically?
Original post by DiddyDec
Do you often take flights domestically?

No
No

So how was your comment relevant to the statement when they were not opposed to international travel COVID passports.
So how was your comment relevant to the statement when they were not opposed to international travel COVID passports.

I must admit I had missed the bit where they said "To go abroad - fair enough" so my comment was relating to international travel - apologies to @SetethFlayn. I'm not quite sure what to think about domestic flights but due to the recycled air on planes, maybe it's reasonable for airlines to say people who haven't been vaccinated should take a covid test before getting on even a domestic flight. Not too sure about that one tbh, I can see both sides of the argument.
I must admit I had missed the bit where they said "To go abroad - fair enough" so my comment was relating to international travel - apologies to @SetethFlayn. I'm not quite sure what to think about domestic flights but due to the recycled air on planes, maybe it's reasonable for airlines to say people who haven't been vaccinated should take a covid test before getting on even a domestic flight. Not too sure about that one tbh, I can see both sides of the argument.

I wouldn't bother, they don't do it for trains and they are a well known as being the petri dish of public transport and I can't imagine many people are actually running or using domestic flights.
I wouldn't bother, they don't do it for trains and they are a well known as being the petri dish of public transport and I can't imagine many people are actually running or using domestic flights.

Yes but train journeys tend to be shorter and you can open windows to help with ventilation - not sure as I say but I woudn't be surprised if they introduced it for domestic as well as international flights in future.
Yes but train journeys tend to be shorter and you can open windows to help with ventilation - not sure as I say but I woudn't be surprised if they introduced it for domestic as well as international flights in future.

I have not seen opening windows on a train in years.
(edited 3 years ago)
That's ridiculous to compare me not wanting to sit next to someone with covid on a plane to me being suited to staying at home in an air tight room in an air cycled chamber. I just want airlines to take what I consider reasonable precautions to protect their customers (which all airlines will do I believe in the form of vaccine passports or testing). I still had to go to work too as I'm a key worker, but that doesn't mean that I don't welcome vaccine passports/covid testing at airports. Some saftey measures we do have control over, and this is going to be one of the things the airline industry is going to put into place whether you like it or not.

You can demand your own air supply and a mask if you're paranoid or ask the planes to properly filter and sterilize air like they did in the past.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
You can demand your own air supply and a mask if you're paranoid or ask the planes to properly filter and sterilize air like they did in the past.

Yeah right

But if your vaccinated your safe right. For real, unless you have respiratory issues, obese, elderly. You shouldn't worry about COVID; protecting the vulnerable. If you know your likely to die from COVID, it wouldn't make much sense to go on a plane in the first place let alone travel to a different country. Not everyone wants to or can get a vaccine as there is plenty reason to be skeptical of a relatively new vaccine especially if your pregnant.
Original post by anime<3gaming

Exactly, very well phrased. Example is how lock down will cause so many problems like unemployment, suicide rates, depression, domestic abuse etc and that is all for a virus which let me clear up isnt as fatal as its made out to be. One reason why things went the way they did may be because China was 'leaking' videos of people having their doors welded on or being thrown into white boxes because they had COVID. The death rate is not a death rate but more a 'COVID related' meaning I could test positive, have a plane come from the sky, hit me and I 'died from COVID'. You see the problem here so I recommend you don't be so scared of the world and no vaccine passports shouldn't go through

I have not seen opening windows on a train in years.

Nor have I. Our train services are such that even to introduce it on long distance services would be difficult. Go from London to Manchester and once you are nearer to Manchester there are local journeys being made, such as from Stoke to Manchester. How would you ensure that happened?
Vaccine passporting is just backdoor digital ID which becomes linked to social credit.

It has already happened in China. People there are now barred from buying train or bus tickets there just because their social "score" isn't high enough.

This is authoritarian/totalitarian communist control. We should not be remotely thinking about letting them implement it here.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Vaccine passporting is just backdoor digital ID which becomes linked to social credit.

It has already happened in China. People there are now barred from buying train or bus tickets there just because their social "score" isn't high enough.

This is authoritarian/totalitarian communist control. We should not be remotely thinking about letting them implement it here.

Yes, I agree with this. Good Idea to help prevent spread diseases but has so many other things to put into consideration; it really just gives the government more control but lets say with covid, it should be an individuals choice to who they mix with and where they go not the governments. You can protect you and your family from any bacteria if you lock yourself in a air tight room without affecting anyone but give the government the power to lock u up and its not good,
So many obscenely paranoid people... As if any of you are interesting enough to warrant the government giving a **** about what you do. FFS.
Original post by barnet1471
The idea that it will be widespread within the UK is I think over-estimating the plans this government has.

In the words of father Ted, "careful now!"
I said the same when it was "a few weeks to flatten the curve" calling my friends conspiracy nut jobs for saying they will be after much longer. Boy did I feel stupid.
In fact there is hardly a point throughout this **** show where the government haven't gone well beyond their original statement.
The other day I heard somebody say re health passports "Well so what if the government can see everywhere you go and every penny you spend, if you have nothing to hide, whats the problem?" This was a person I would never have expected to take this attitude and he certainly wouldn't have 2 years ago. We are a nation of frogs in a pan of heating water.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
In the words of father Ted, "careful now!"
I said the same when it was "a few weeks to flatten the curve" calling my friends conspiracy nut jobs for saying they will be after much longer. Boy did I feel stupid.
In fact there is hardly a point throughout this **** show where the government haven't gone well beyond their original statement.
The other day I heard somebody say re health passports "Well so what if the government can see everywhere you go and every penny you spend, if you have nothing to hide, whats the problem?" This was a person I would never have expected to take this attitude and he certainly wouldn't have 2 years ago. We are a nation of frogs in a pan of heating water.

If ever there were a reason I'd even consider looking at the Lib Dems (mindful of their own habit of going back on their words and many other issues...) it's on this singular topic.

Latest

Trending

Trending