The Student Room Group

Should I bulk or carry on cutting?

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering whether I should carry on losing weight or should I bulk up now. I’ve been on a cutting down since November and I’ve been doing just cardio since January.

I’m going to start weight training next week Monday when the gyms open up.

I was 101kg in November. I am now 78k and my height is 175cm.

Here are some photos of me (they’re pretty rubbish lol) :

Scroll to see replies

Cut for another 2 months so it’s a total of 6 months, then bulk for 2/3 months and cut again for 6
Reply 2
Original post by UnknownCosmos
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering whether I should carry on losing weight or should I bulk up now. I’ve been on a cutting down since November and I’ve been doing just cardio since January.

I'd say to continue cutting for a good few months, maybe step up the cardio depending on your routine
Original post by Krsto
I'd say to continue cutting for a good few months, maybe step up the cardio depending on your routine

I run for an hour three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

Should I start weight lifting as well as doing cardio?
Reply 4
I run for an hour three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

Should I start weight lifting as well as doing cardio?

Yes that could be a good idea, maybe even starting with body exercises like push ups
Original post by Schoolyr10-2020
Cut for another 2 months so it’s a total of 6 months, then bulk for 2/3 months and cut again for 6

What weight do you think I should reach?

I was also wondering about my chest fat. It’s not going away, like everything else is. Is it gyno or just normal fat?
Original post by Krsto
Yes that could be a good idea, maybe even starting with body exercises like push ups

I was thinking of doing the ICF 5x5 routine.

Even though I would be on a calorie deficit would I still be able to gain some muscle mass?
I was thinking of doing the ICF 5x5 routine.

Even though I would be on a calorie deficit would I still be able to gain some muscle mass?

Yeah for sure, look into callisthenics on YouTube, or even for the best body weight workouts check out anabolic aliens they do workouts that hurt with no equipment
Original post by alevel20203
Yeah for sure, look into callisthenics on YouTube, or even for the best body weight workouts check out anabolic aliens they do workouts that hurt with no equipment

Hurting does not equal a good workout
Original post by Schoolyr10-2020

Bulking for 2/3 month cycles then cutting for 6 would result in no muscle being gained
Original post by Nutritionist
Bulking for 2/3 month cycles then cutting for 6 would result in no muscle being gained

Thanks for the advice

What do you think I should do?
So I guess I should carry on cutting for a few more months and I’ll start lifting weights on Monday
(edited 3 years ago)
recomp is recommended for skinny fat
Original post by Proxenus
recomp is recommended for skinny fat

When doing recomp should I start a calorie surplus diet or still be on a deficit?

Sorry for all the questions.
Hello everyone!

Cut a lil more then start bulking
Original post by student-73
Cut a lil more then start bulking

what weight/body fat do you think would be enough?

How many calories should I aim for?
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks for the advice

What do you think I should do?

If I was you I’d keep cutting steadily until around 10-12% body fat. At that point start a long and gradual bulk with a small/moderate surplus
If I was you I’d keep cutting steadily until around 10-12% body fat. At that point start a long and gradual bulk with a small/moderate surplus

I’ll carry cutting then.

What calorie intake do you recommend(I’ll be lifting weights and doing cardio)?
I’ll carry cutting then.

What calorie intake do you recommend(I’ll be lifting weights and doing cardio)?

If you’re still losing weight and find your current intake sustainable then continue with that
If you’re still losing weight and find your current intake sustainable then continue with that

Sure I’ll do that then.

Will I be able to make some muscle gain even on a cut, being that I am a newbie?

Quick Reply

Latest