The Student Room Group

Change to Biomed or Biological sciences?

Hi!
I have unconditional offers from all of my universities for BSc Biology (as well as one for biological sciences although not my preferred uni). I’m definitely thinking of changing from biology, but I’m not sure which course to take out of the two in the title.

I’m really stuck as I’m not sure what I want to do at the end, so I want to take the option which can open as many doors as possible. I’d be interested in doing a masters after or further study eg graduate medicine. And I’d like to ask -
1) is it less likely to get a place on a graduate medicine course with Biological sciences?
2) the courses are similar, are the job/further education prospects similar?
3) which course is likely to give me the best future?
4) if I wanted to do a GDL, which would be most beneficial to have a background in to do law?

I know this is really late to be unsure on what course I’d like to do but I know I definitely enjoy biology and will enjoy either course. I can see myself doing something like grad medicine or a masters in some sort of healthcare but on the flip side I can also see myself doing the GDL or being a biotech patent attorney. but I’m already feeling anxious about getting a job at the end of it all.

And to add to the confusion I’ve also got an offer for Law at northumbria, although would like to do both biology and law.

Thanks in advance and apologies about the long post!
1) No, it won't make a difference whether you did biology or biomedical sciences for applying to GEM. However if medicine is your goal, it is much better to apply for standard entry medicine than to aim to do another degree first and apply to GEM, as GEM is considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine and it is a longer and more expensive route, as you have more limited funding for a second degree in medicine than for a first degree in anything.

2) Biological sciences/biology will usually cover more aspects of ecology and conservation, as well as a wider range of organisms (both general animal/mammalian biology as well as plant biology). Biomedical sciences usually focuses fairly specifically on human biology and physiology and health related issues. Job prospects are potentially similar, although biomedical sciences often seems to have more biomolecular elements which might be better preparation for certain lab based roles - however you might be able to study such topics in a biology degree anyway.

3) This is dependent on you mostly, not the subject you study at uni. Employers are hiring human employees, not degree certificates, and what work experience you have and how well you translate this, and your transferable (and technical, if applicable) skills from your degree in your CV, covering letter, and interview will make more difference than the degree title, generally.

4) It doesn't matter, the GDL takes people from all backgrounds and it won't make a difference. However also the GDL will only be necessary to become a barrister by the time you graduate, and to become a solicitor you will take the SQE instead.
Original post by artful_lounger
1) No, it won't make a difference whether you did biology or biomedical sciences for applying to GEM. However if medicine is your goal, it is much better to apply for standard entry medicine than to aim to do another degree first and apply to GEM, as GEM is considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine and it is a longer and more expensive route, as you have more limited funding for a second degree in medicine than for a first degree in anything.

2) Biological sciences/biology will usually cover more aspects of ecology and conservation, as well as a wider range of organisms (both general animal/mammalian biology as well as plant biology). Biomedical sciences usually focuses fairly specifically on human biology and physiology and health related issues. Job prospects are potentially similar, although biomedical sciences often seems to have more biomolecular elements which might be better preparation for certain lab based roles - however you might be able to study such topics in a biology degree anyway.

3) This is dependent on you mostly, not the subject you study at uni. Employers are hiring human employees, not degree certificates, and what work experience you have and how well you translate this, and your transferable (and technical, if applicable) skills from your degree in your CV, covering letter, and interview will make more difference than the degree title, generally.

4) It doesn't matter, the GDL takes people from all backgrounds and it won't make a difference. However also the GDL will only be necessary to become a barrister by the time you graduate, and to become a solicitor you will take the SQE instead.

Thank you! That’s all so helpful. It makes me a lot more relaxed knowing that the job prospects are similar. Is there even any benefit in taking Biological Sciences over Biology (maybe better for patent law?)
Original post by Jasminefourn
Thank you! That’s all so helpful. It makes me a lot more relaxed knowing that the job prospects are similar. Is there even any benefit in taking Biological Sciences over Biology (maybe better for patent law?)

Generally "biological sciences" and "biology" refer to essentially the same degree subjects. "Biomedical sciences" is a somewhat different subject as described above, but biological sciences and biology degrees are going to be pretty similar (biomedical sciences will likely have some overlap with them, but less than they will with each other).

For becoming a patent attorney it doesn't matter, my understanding is you mainly just need any STEM degree, and preferably some language background in German/French as well as English (since those are the major languages of the EU where a lot of patents come from).

Being a patent attorney is not the same thing as being a lawyer working on patents in IP law cases. That would require you to qualify as a solicitor or barrister, which the usual route would be to take a qualifying law degree, which is not required to be a patent attorney. You can of course do any degree and still become a solicitor or barrister (slightly different routes for each) though.
Ahh I see. Im looking at many different options right now...I’ve looked at the various routes for both patent attorney and solicitor/barrister and have done my due diligence. I suppose Biology could be (for me) noticeably easier to excel in rather than biological sciences, and with similar job prospects for all the things I’d consider doing maybe it would be worth sticking to BSc Biology..?Thank you :-)
Bump! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending