The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

A question for muslim girls going to cardiff university

i am planning to attend cardiff this year- and was just a bit worried as ive heard talybont is quite loud and party like- and considering im muslim and dont drink, it may be a bit difficult. How is it? and also, is freshers difficult being a muslim and not being able to join in? Is there alot of other muslims ?
Reply 1
Heya! I'm not personally Muslim, or female, but I have mates who are third years in Cardiff and they've suggested that if you don't want too much of a party atmosphere then Senghenydd Hall/Court is the better option.
I also think there are a few non-drinking options for Freshers, so I don't think you'll be alone!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Hi Anon.

Have you considered Aberdare Hall (www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/accommodation/residences/aberdare-hall). It is a women's residence, and I know that there are several Muslim women living there.

It has catered and self-catered options. If you follow a halal diet, it would be best to check if the refectory serves a halal option.

Otherwise, you can opt for a quiet-living flat (www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/accommodation/residences?collection=website-residences&form=residences&gscope1=1&f.Suitability%7CY=quiet+living+%28undergraduate%29). It doesn't seem like you can opt no alcohol, but in my experience students are usually understanding if you tell them you choose not to drink alcohol.

i

Original post by 学生の父
Hi Anon.

Have you considered Aberdare Hall (www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/accommodation/residences/aberdare-hall). It is a women's residence, and I know that there are several Muslim women living there.

It has catered and self-catered options. If you follow a halal diet, it would be best to check if the refectory serves a halal option.

Otherwise, you can opt for a quiet-living flat (www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/accommodation/residences?collection=website-residences&form=residences&gscope1=1&f.Suitability%7CY=quiet+living+%28undergraduate%29). It doesn't seem like you can opt no alcohol, but in my experience students are usually understanding if you tell them you choose not to drink alcohol.

Hi! I was wondering if we can attach a bidet in the bathroom?
Reply 4
Original post by stupidmistakes
i

i don’t think you’d be allowed to, why don’t you just take a lota? that’s what i’m doing.
Original post by sy!¡
i don’t think you’d be allowed to, why don’t you just take a lota? that’s what i’m doing.

X_X A lota X_X
A hand held bidet doesnt require any drilling and can be installed using a t valve which doesnt disrupt anything, and I will take it with me when I leave. Can you please ask an authority about this, perhaps show this message? It would help me ALOT.
Installed with a T valve to the loo tap.
Original post by Anonymous
i am planning to attend cardiff this year- and was just a bit worried as ive heard talybont is quite loud and party like- and considering im muslim and dont drink, it may be a bit difficult. How is it? and also, is freshers difficult being a muslim and not being able to join in? Is there alot of other muslims ?

Don't try to segregate yourself based on your religion. Part of growing up is about adapting to people with different background to your own. Go there with an open mind, put aside your beliefs, and you will fit in. If you try to only live with people that believe in your religion, you will not.

i

No, do not do this...

Most university’s have an Islamic society I’m not a Muslim but I don’t drink and I had a great time at uni.
Don't try to segregate yourself based on your religion. Part of growing up is about adapting to people with different background to your own. Go there with an open mind, put aside your beliefs, and you will fit in. If you try to only live with people that believe in your religion, you will not.

No, do not do this...

Hi Anonymous, hope you are fine! While I understand you are trying to provide some assurance to the person who asked the question by telling them that they should go out and mingle whether or not their peers are muslim, I think it came off as a bit crass, one won't ever be able to "put aside their beliefs" because it is what makes them, them. Rather, what I assume what you were trying to say was that we should be accepting and tolerating and kind and caring towards others regardless of religion, which is great advice. I think the person was sharing their concern about the uni experience being alien, maybe they felt like they needed assurance that everything's gonna be fine in uni, regardless of you being a part of a minority. Much love to you all! Peace!
X_X A lota X_X
A hand held bidet doesnt require any drilling and can be installed using a t valve which doesnt disrupt anything, and I will take it with me when I leave. Can you please ask an authority about this, perhaps show this message? It would help me ALOT.

what uni are you planning to go?
C

Original post by sy!¡
what uni are you planning to go?

cardiff uni iA
C

cardiff uni iA

me too.

i reckon you should just put a bidet in your bathroom without telling them and you could remove it before they inspect your room? seeing as you’re not drilling into anything it should be fine imo.
Original post by sy!¡
me too.

i reckon you should just put a bidet in your bathroom without telling them and you could remove it before they inspect your room? seeing as you’re not drilling into anything it should be fine imo.

oh seems like a good idea
oh seems like a good idea

ikr

i am in Cambrian court accodmodation with an ensuite bathroom, it is one of the many student independent accomodations used by the university to accomodate students, it is just across the road from talybont, if you find talybont too loud etc, i am happy to swap with you.
Original post by sy!¡
ikr

heyyyy sis, did you apply for uni yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending