The Student Room Group

Gcse german help asap please

I suck at German grammar and I have no idea what to do for this question and my grade is counting on it someone please help.

Konjugation und Wortsellung von Verben
In jedem Satz ist es notwendig, die richtige Verbform zu bilden:
Beispiel
Es ist nicht gut, Hausaufgaben zu machen, wahrend man (fernsehen).
Es ist nicht gut, Hausaufgaben zu machen, wahrend man fernsieht.

Achtung! Es sind nicht immer die gleichen Tempusformen. Achten Sie auf die Wortsellung, wenn mehr als ein Verb erforderlich ist.

1. Wenn Sie nicht jeden vor dem Bildschirm (verbringen), (entdecken konnen) Sie vielleicht ein neues, positiveres Hobby.

2. Ich hatte dieses Auto niemals (kaufen), wenn ich von dem Unfall (wissen).

3. Bitte (aufhoren, informal) zu singen! Meine Ohren (tun) weh!

4. Bevor Maria aus dem Haus (gehen), (sich erinnern) sie daran, dass sie ihren Badeanzug (mitbringen sollen).

5. Leider (verlieren) ich alle Fotos von meiner Kindheit, als wir letes Jahr (umziehen)
Original post by EllieH0990
I suck at German grammar and I have no idea what to do for this question and my grade is counting on it someone please help.

Konjugation und Wortsellung von Verben
In jedem Satz ist es notwendig, die richtige Verbform zu bilden:
Beispiel
Es ist nicht gut, Hausaufgaben zu machen, wahrend man (fernsehen).
Es ist nicht gut, Hausaufgaben zu machen, wahrend man fernsieht.

Achtung! Es sind nicht immer die gleichen Tempusformen. Achten Sie auf die Wortsellung, wenn mehr als ein Verb erforderlich ist.

1. Wenn Sie nicht jeden vor dem Bildschirm (verbringen), (entdecken konnen) Sie vielleicht ein neues, positiveres Hobby.

4. Bevor Maria aus dem Haus (gehen), (sich erinnern) sie daran, dass sie ihren Badeanzug (mitbringen sollen).

5. Leider (verlieren) ich alle Fotos von meiner Kindheit, als wir letes Jahr (umziehen)

1. If you can't (spend) everyone in front of the screen, you may (discover) a new, more positive hobby.
2. I never had (buy) this car when I (knew) about the accident.
3. Please (stop, informally) singing! My ears hurt!
4. Before Mary leaves the house, (remember) that she should (bring) her bathing suit.
5. Unfortunately I (lose) all photos from my childhood when we (moved) last yeah

hope this helps
Original post by jademowry123
1. If you can't (spend) everyone in front of the screen, you may (discover) a new, more positive hobby.
2. I never had (buy) this car when I (knew) about the accident.
3. Please (stop, informally) singing! My ears hurt!
4. Before Mary leaves the house, (remember) that she should (bring) her bathing suit.
5. Unfortunately I (lose) all photos from my childhood when we (moved) last yeah

hope this helps

Thank you so much - what tenses do you think would fit for each?
This is what I think they are but could you give me your opinion too please:
1. Present
2. Pluperfect
3. Present
4. Not sure
5. Past

I don't really know why I'm finding this so hard but my brain feels so dead from all the school work at the moment.
Original post by EllieH0990
Thank you so much - what tenses do you think would fit for each?
This is what I think they are but could you give me your opinion too please:
1. Present
2. Pluperfect
3. Present
4. Not sure
5. Past

I don't really know why I'm finding this so hard but my brain feels so dead from all the school work at the moment.

if you want you can message me and if there is anything else i can help even if you just want to vent
i am going to be by yourside and make you pass german i promise you
love jay-jay xxx
and they seem about right well done x

Wenn Sie nicht jeden Tag (?) vor dem Bildschirm verbringen, entdecken Sie vielleicht ein neues, positiveres Hobby.

=> present tense present tense

If you don't spend every day in front of the screen, you may discover a new, more positive hobby.

Ich HÄTTE dieses Auto niemals GEKAUFT, wenn ich von dem Unfall GEWUSST HÄTTE.

=> Subjunctive II pluperfect subjunctive II pluperfect

I WOULD never HAVE BOUGHT this car if I HAD KNOWN about the accident.

Subjunctive II pluperfect (Konjunktiv II Plusquamperfekt, a.k.a. Konjunktiv II Vergangenheit) is constructed with a conjugated form of the auxiliary verb HÄTTE or WÄRE + the past participle form of the main verb (Partizip II).

These two auxiliaries are the subjunctive II forms of the present-perfect auxiliary verbs: haben=>hätte; sein=>wäre

I would suggest that you memorise all important conjugations (e.g. using short sentence constructions) of all the auxiliary verbs (haben, sein, hätte, wäre, werden, as well as the modal verbs, including "würde") so that they become intuitive, instantly present when you write or speak. Of course it's also important that you can instantly recognise these verb constructions in written text or speech…
Also, you should always know which present perfect auxiliary a verb goes with. You need to memorise this too. If you don't know which auxiliary is used, use a dictionary to check, e.g. Wiktionary (Wiktionary also provides all possible conjugations/tense/mood/active and passive constructions, but that's a bit overwhelming at first...) https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/kaufen

Bitte HÖR AUF zu singen! Meine Ohren TUN WEH!

=> Imperative mood (plus the infinite form of singen with "zu") Indicative present tense

Please stop singing! My ears hurt!
(Literally: Please stop to sing!)

Bevor Maria aus dem Haus GEHT, ERINNERT sie [sich]ᴬᴷᴷ daran, dass sie ihren Badeanzug mitbringen SOLL.

=> All three are present-tense clauses.

Narrative present tense:
Before Maria leaves the house, she remembers that she is supposed to bring her swimming suit along.

Leider HABE ich alle Fotos von meiner Kindheit VERLOREN, als wir letztes Jahr UMGEZOGEN SIND.

=> Present perfect present perfect

Unfortunately I've lost all photos of my childhood when we moved last year.

(In the second clause, you have the German penchant for using present perfect where you would use simple past tense in English.)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Krokodilo

Wenn Sie nicht jeden Tag (?) vor dem Bildschirm verbringen, entdecken Sie vielleicht ein neues, positiveres Hobby.

=> present tense present tense

If you don't spend every day in front of the screen, you may discover a new, more positive hobby.

Ich HÄTTE dieses Auto niemals GEKAUFT, wenn ich von dem Unfall GEWUSST HÄTTE.

=> Subjunctive II pluperfect subjunctive II pluperfect

I WOULD never HAVE BOUGHT this car if I HAD KNOWN about the accident.

Subjunctive II pluperfect (Konjunktiv II Plusquamperfekt, a.k.a. Konjunktiv II Vergangenheit) is constructed with a conjugated form of the auxiliary verb HÄTTE or WÄRE + the past participle form of the main verb (Partizip II).

These two auxiliaries are the subjunctive II forms of the present-perfect auxiliary verbs: haben=>hätte; sein=>wäre

I would suggest that you memorise all important conjugations of all the auxiliary verbs (haben, sein, hätte, wäre, werden, as well as the modal verbs, including "würde") so that they become intuitive, instantly present when you write or speak. Of course it's also important that you can instantly recognise these verb constructions in written text or speech…

Bitte HÖR AUF zu singen! Meine Ohren TUN WEH!

=> Imperative mood | Indicative present tense
Please stop singing! My ears hurt!

Bevor Maria aus dem Haus GEHT, ERINNERT sie [sich]ᴬᴷᴷ daran, dass sie ihren Badeanzug mitbringen SOLL.
=> All three are present-tense clauses.
Narrative present tense:
Before Maria leaves the house, she remembers that she is supposed to bring her swimming suit along.

Leider HABE ich alle Fotos von meiner Kindheit VERLOREN, als wir letztes Jahr UMGEZOGEN SIND.
=> Present perfect present perfect
Unfortunately I've lost all photos of my childhood when we moved last year.

(In the second clause, you have the German penchant for using present perfect where you would use simple past tense in English.)

Yep that first sentence has a noun missing, are u German lol
Original post by Krsto
Yep that first sentence has a noun missing, are u German lol

Heh, I am a native speaker in Germany. I also have no life as I spend my days in front of the screen helping wildfremde Leute learn German ... 😬
Reply 7
Original post by Krokodilo
Heh, I am a native speaker in Germany. I also have no life as I spend my days in front of the screen helping wildfremde Leute learn German ... 😬

Oh haha I'm half German (and half Croatian)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending