The Student Room Group

I gave up on love

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I am a pessimistic, thus I tend to look for the worst in most scenarios. I wish I was more of an optimistic, but they are often left disappointed, as they set their hearts on something happening, which never does. As I said, I have had a gf, but we made each other happy, and how I act or feel today is based on that relationship.

This is probably the real problem, not your height. You can't view prospective partners through the same lens as the previous one. That isn't fair.
I was not made for loving anybody. Nobody was made for loving me. I gave up on love because of my short posture, I am only 5'6. No girl would even consider dating someone of my height, so please do not leave no comments saying that you would, because I know you're only trying to make me feel better about myself. Height does matter, so when some say it is irrelevant, they are hiding behind their lies. I gave up on love because I know that love gave up on me.

stop being a ***** in this life, no one cares abt ur problems. i can really tell you will never find love with a mindset like that
I don't really see why people are being deliberately misleading to the OP.

Being as short as 5 foot 6 will be a significant disadvantage in the world of dating. It is simply untrue to pretend otherwise.
I don't really see why people are being deliberately misleading to the OP.

Being as short as 5 foot 6 will be a significant disadvantage in the world of dating. It is simply untrue to pretend otherwise.

I am not being misleading. I was stating a fact when I said I dated a guy of this height and less, and am put off by tall lanky guys.
I was not made for loving anybody. Nobody was made for loving me. I gave up on love because of my short posture, I am only 5'6. No girl would even consider dating someone of my height, so please do not leave no comments saying that you would, because I know you're only trying to make me feel better about myself. Height does matter, so when some say it is irrelevant, they are hiding behind their lies. I gave up on love because I know that love gave up on me.

My dad is 5'6 it doesn't have anything to do with height
(edited 3 years ago)
The only guys I know who are shorter than me (one must be about 5’4, the other is probably about 5’5) are both married with kids. They’re also skint and not what I would consider good looking.

If you can’t get women it’s not because of your height, it’s probably because you’re miserable. No one enjoys wallowing in someone else’s self-pity.
Finding a partner will be difficult for a 5ft6 male, there is no doubt about that.

As an aside, it isn't really great logic for people to post a random example of a short man with a wife as evidence that "height doesnt matter". Some people will succeed despite disadvantages, but it doesnt mean that height doesnt matter. It is one of the most important aspects of a man's appearance.

These threads are so weird. Everyone in real life knows that height matters. My girl friends openly criticise short men pretty regularly. Then on here, everyone tries to pretend that height doesnt matter.
Original post by the_pharaoh
My dad is 5'6 it doesn't have anything to do with height

That is the worst reasoning ever.

For example, facial appearance clearly matters in terms of finding a relationship. I am sure you know ugly people in relationships. Does that mean facial appearance doesnt matter? Of course not!

Also, being in a wheelchair is going to be a disadvantage in terms of finding a partner. And yet you probably know someone in a wheelchair with a partner. Again, that doesnt mean that the disability isnt a disadvantage.

For example, facial appearance clearly matters in terms of finding a relationship. I am sure you know ugly people in relationships. Does that mean facial appearance doesnt matter? Of course not!

Also, being in a wheelchair is going to be a disadvantage in terms of finding a partner. And yet you probably know someone in a wheelchair with a partner. Again, that doesnt mean that the disability isnt a disadvantage.

ok i was speaking about the OP situation meaning that it is possible for him to find love and his height won't stop it if anything does stop it it isnt his height
ok i was speaking about the OP situation meaning that it is possible for him to find love and his height won't stop it if anything does stop it it isnt his height

Well height is clearly important, and OP's height is significantly shorter than average. So I think it is entirely possible that his height might stop him from finding a partner. It is actually probably the most likely reason for him to struggle, unless he has other issues that he has not disclosed.

Most women are around his height these days. Most women are going to want their partner to be a bit taller than them. His height will clearly present a problem.
Please try to not be so hard on yourself. You are probably so young still and the pandemic has made it to so hard for people to communicate with each other and meet face to face. Many people have never been in relationships before and then they may meet someone in ten, twenty years time. You are deserving of love!
Well height is clearly important, and OP's height is significantly shorter than average. So I think it is entirely possible that his height might stop him from finding a partner. It is actually probably the most likely reason for him to struggle, unless he has other issues that he has not disclosed.

Most women are around his height these days. Most women are going to want their partner to be a bit taller than them. His height will clearly present a problem.

Ok both ur points aren't true because as important as height may be if he has other good qualities he can even get away with dating someone his own height secondly it would put him at a disadvantage and make his success less likely with women in general but the chances of it completely stopping him from finding a woman are minimal

moreover alot of girls are less than 5'3 nowadays

Just because someone is ugly to you, doesn't meant they are ugly to everyone. So whilst appearance does matter, people have different views on what they find attractive
Original post by Emily5243
Just because someone is ugly to you, doesn't meant they are ugly to everyone. So whilst appearance does matter, people have different views on what they find attractive

Ok that might not be entirely true ofc we all have different prefrences but there are ppl who no one would date because no one finds them attractive it is very possible
Ok that might not be entirely true ofc we all have different prefrences but there are ppl who no one would date because no one finds them attractive it is very possible

Yes, but how many of those people exist? I would imagine very few, so for the vast majority of us, someone will find us attractive.
Original post by Emily5243

Yes that is true. But in general, there are some people that most people find attractive, and some people that most people find ugly.

Short height in men is a trait that is pretty universally considered unattractive. But I do not think 5ft6 is a height that is going to stop OP from ever finding love. But I do think it will make things pretty tough for him.
Ok both ur points aren't true because as important as height may be if he has other good qualities he can even get away with dating someone his own height secondly it would put him at a disadvantage and make his success less likely with women in general but the chances of it completely stopping him from finding a woman are minimal

moreover alot of girls are less than 5'3 nowadays

Yes I definitely agree it should not stop him altogether. I also do agree it will likely put him at a disadvantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending