The Student Room Group

Should predicted grades be scrapped?

I think they should lol but I wanna know what I guys think.
I remember there was a poll about this and people said that they'd rather be admitted based on their actual grades rather than predicted grades (for both GCSE and A-level + equivalent)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I think they're quite bad for applicants and, this past year specifically, for universities. However I can't think of another way for students to be able to start university the year they finish school.
really its dependant if your predicted grades are higher than what your capable of then it may be good but set higher expectations for the future and are most likely going to work hard.
if they are very low some people will lack motivation and not care

then again I know people who's predicted grades are 7s but are working at 2/3 so its not good
Original post by Oceanwater
I think they should lol but I wanna know what I guys think.
I remember there was a poll about this and people said that they'd rather be admitted based on their actual grades rather than predicted grades (for both GCSE and A-level + equivalent)

Is it a good method for unis, definetly not, however there's not much better alternatives
Most people get lower grades than their predicted grades so it's not the most accurate method of making offers to students. But, it would take a huge overhaul of the system to change it and there would be a lot of things to figure out so I don't really know what the best alternative would be
Original post by samcarolinx
really its dependant if your predicted grades are higher than what your capable of then it may be good but set higher expectations for the future and are most likely going to work hard.
if they are very low some people will lack motivation and not care

then again I know people who's predicted grades are 7s but are working at 2/3 so its not good

hi my target grades are all 3 and i got mocks and got all 3s but if i try my best and get higher grades in the upcoming exams could i potentially get higher Teacher assessed grades or no? am scared because i want to go t sixth form but really do not know what to do... anyone know how to revis for english literature and maths thanks xx
Reply 6
Obviously, only 16% of predicted grades are actually accurate and they are very damaging for students In my opinion. Being told you’re going to probably achieve a 3 in your exam isn’t exactly what anyone wants to hear. Regardless they aren’t even important and should just be removed.
Reply 7
Original post by Emily5243
Most people get lower grades than their predicted grades so it's not the most accurate method of making offers to students. But, it would take a huge overhaul of the system to change it and there would be a lot of things to figure out so I don't really know what the best alternative would be

There doesn’t need to be an alternative.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
I think they're quite bad for applicants and, this past year specifically, for universities. However I can't think of another way for students to be able to start university the year they finish school.

Doesn't Ireland have a system whereby applicants are given offers post-results? I know someone who was looking at applying to Trinity College Dublin and was put off by the fact that you only found out if you'd got a place after your results were issued.
Original post by s.ghaz
There doesn’t need to be an alternative.

Why wouldn't there need to be an alternative? Most unis will use predicted grades quite a lot in selection of students so if they are not used, what else is used?
Original post by user0645222
hi my target grades are all 3 and i got mocks and got all 3s but if i try my best and get higher grades in the upcoming exams could i potentially get higher Teacher assessed grades or no? am scared because i want to go t sixth form but really do not know what to do... anyone know how to revis for english literature and maths thanks xx

yes your grade will increase by 1 or 2 but to get into sixth form you need at least 4s in 5 subjects and and i am certain you can get that make sure to revise even if you don't revise just make sure to keep the content in your head.
also if you are offered to resit any tests definitely do them as this will improve your grade and provide as more evidence as well as showing the school that you can take your education into your hands.

also have you applied for?
: )
Reply 11
Why wouldn't there need to be an alternative? Most unis will use predicted grades quite a lot in selection of students so if they are not used, what else is used?

Literally nothing, just offer people a place based off of their personal statement and give them the grade requirements that they need to meet. Predicted graders are very rarely accurate.
Reply 12
i think they should be scrapped - can be so unrealistic at times
Original post by s.ghaz
Literally nothing, just offer people a place based off of their personal statement and give them the grade requirements that they need to meet. Predicted graders are very rarely accurate.

Yes, predicted grades are too high for most people so I guess that could work. People would just apply to places they feel like they are capable of getting the grades for, rather than applying based on their predicted grades.
Reply 14
Yes, predicted grades are too high for most people so I guess that could work. People would just apply to places they feel like they are capable of getting the grades for, rather than applying based on their predicted grades.

Too high? I’ve always thought they were too low. Maybe it’s just my school but students often get much higher than their predicted grades, I believe it’s because teachers in my school usually give quite low predicted grades.
Original post by s.ghaz
Too high? I’ve always thought they were too low. Maybe it’s just my school but students often get much higher than their predicted grades, I believe it’s because teachers in my school usually give quite low predicted grades.

https://www.ucas.com/file/292726/download?token=wswAnzge#:~:text=UCAS%20is%20actively%20exploring%20ways,from%2037.9%25%20the%20previous%20year.
On the predicted grades page, they say only 21% met or exceeded their predicted grades so almost 80% of students had predicted grades that were too high
Original post by samcarolinx
yes your grade will increase by 1 or 2 but to get into sixth form you need at least 4s in 5 subjects and and i am certain you can get that make sure to revise even if you don't revise just make sure to keep the content in your head.
also if you are offered to resit any tests definitely do them as this will improve your grade and provide as more evidence as well as showing the school that you can take your education into your hands.

also have you applied for?
: )

yes and thanks x and yes i have applied too x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending