The Student Room Group

Which is more difficult: RS or Politics?

Due to COVID - I only have one lesson each week for each subject. I am taking Sociology, English Literature & Religious Studies.

I missed my first RS lesson due to quarantine (I had to self isolate for 14 days I was unwell. No I don't have corona). First English Lit & Sociology lesson were pretty straightforward. I got a 9 in both my English GCSES so I feel confident I won't be too overwhelmed. Plus I love English. Sociology was enjoyable and fun.

However, I had my first RS lesson and given that I missed my first lesson wasn't too great for me. Other students had missed the lesson too but seemed pretty on board. Me on the other hand I was completely lost. I'm doing the OCR board - I got an 8 in RS. Naively assumed it would be similar as it is not Philosophy. Literally thought I was just going to be learning about religions like GCSE. I genuinely want to smack myself in the face. I tried to catch up at home all day, I've watched over 10 Youtube videos trying to understanding key concepts like Plato's Theory Of Forms, The cave Allegory. Nothing is going through my head. I'm a pretty quick learner and open minded yet I just don't understand RS A level at all. I asked some family members who got an A/A* and they explained the concepts. I still don't understand it. I'm thinking of switching to Politics as that was an option I was going to take for A level but was told it would be 'better' to take RS as I've done a GCSE in it.

I think if I am struggling this early on - it will be harder for me.

I know every A level has its hardships and there is no such thing as an 'easy' A level. I feel super down and frustrated and don't want to leave this decision to the last minute if I DO change to politics.

Anyone had any experience with this? Which did you find more difficult?
(edited 3 years ago)
If you are interested in Politics I would say go for it, I had the same experience last year with Economics I hated at the beginning but I thought it would get better but it didn’t .At that time I changed it into RS but I was 2 weeks behind so I changed back to Econ, if I were you I would look into both politics and Rs spec and past papers and get the feeling but if you didn’t like RS don’t push it too much and change it as soon as you can
Original post by DonTalkToMe
Due to COVID - I only have one lesson each week for each subject. I am taking Sociology, English Literature & Religious Studies.

I missed my first RS lesson due to quarantine (I had to self isolate for 14 days I was unwell. No I don't have corona). First English Lit & Sociology lesson were pretty straightforward. I got a 9 in both my English GCSES so I feel confident I won't be too overwhelmed. Plus I love English. Sociology was enjoyable and fun.

However, I had my first RS lesson and given that I missed my first lesson wasn't too great for me. Other students had missed the lesson too but seemed pretty on board. Me on the other hand I was completely lost. I'm doing the OCR board - I got an 8 in RS. Naively assumed it would be similar as it is not Philosophy. Literally thought I was just going to be learning about religions like GCSE. I genuinely want to smack myself in the face. I tried to catch up at home all day, I've watched over 10 Youtube videos trying to understanding key concepts like Plato's Theory Of Forms, The cave Allegory. Nothing is going through my head. I'm a pretty quick learner and open minded yet I just don't understand RS A level at all. I asked some family members who got an A/A* and they explained the concepts. I still don't understand it. I'm thinking of switching to Politics as that was an option I was going to take for A level but was told it would be 'better' to take RS as I've done a GCSE in it.

I think if I am struggling this early on - it will be harder for me.

I know every A level has its hardships and there is no such thing as an 'easy' A level. I feel super down and frustrated and don't want to leave this decision to the last minute if I DO change to politics.

Anyone had any experience with this? Which did you find more difficult?

I'm currently in Year 13 studying OCR Religious Studies, Spanish and Maths. I changed from Chemistry to Religious Studies about 2 weeks in and I missed the whole topic on Plato and Aristotle etc. I felt the same way you do now but I tried my hardest to catch up and although I didn't completely understand it at the time, the more topics I did in Religious Studies, the more I began to understand it. You will soon realise that a lot of the topics link in Religious Studies and it will really help you. My advice is to stick to it and see how it goes, it can be really confusing at the start but it does get better. Though my case is slightly different as I got a 4 at gcse re and I am currently working at an A at a level. So the a level is really different but I really enjoy it. Hope this helps! :smile:
is the subject interesting? im also torn between politics and RS but I'm worried i'll find RS boring
Original post by A_benaissa
is the subject interesting? im also torn between politics and RS but I'm worried i'll find RS boring

hi i chose rs for my a levels and was surprised by how much i loved it. the aqa board we did was a mix of christianity, ethics and philosophy so it was quite diverse but everything linked. also if youre up for discussion then its a really interesting and interactive class.
Original post by pon1de2replay3
hi i chose rs for my a levels and was surprised by how much i loved it. the aqa board we did was a mix of christianity, ethics and philosophy so it was quite diverse but everything linked. also if youre up for discussion then its a really interesting and interactive class.

Thank you!!
Original post by pon1de2replay3

I do Ocr rs and I've had the same experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending