The Student Room Group

Becoming clinical scientist after biomed degree

Hi, I currently have an offer to study Biomedical Science (accredited by ibms) at Queens Uni Belfast and want to become a clinical scientist in the future.
Would studying this degree enable me to become one? And if so what is the easiest path? Would it be easier to train as a biomedical scientist then apply for ibms equivalence or apply for the stp? Advice would be appreciated :smile:
At minimum for clinical scientist you need the BSc (ideally a 1st but 2:1 is considered) and to then apply for the STP program which is a further 3 years. Realistically you would also need experience before applying for the STP to stand a chance of being successful at getting on program.
The STP program is very competitive however and the entrance exam is not easy.

If you haven't already looked, these websites will provide you with knowledge of how to pursue this career beyond your BSc.

https://nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/programmes/stp/applicants/entry-requirements/

https://www.ahcs.ac.uk/

https://www.ibms.org/resources/news/announcing-the-ibms-new-route-to-clinical-scientist/

Did you get the BSc with placement year to gain your registration portfolio (I assume you're looking at biomedical science within the NHS)? Only without the registration portfolio obtained whilst on placement you will not be able to register as a BMS to gain the clinical experience needed to put you in a strong position to compete for the STP.

Good luck
Hi , thank you for the response and links:smile:
The course is "BSC Hons" which sounds about right, and I would definitely aim for a 1st!
In regards to the placement year the website says this:

The School has established links with two universities in the USA - the University of Nevada in Reno and the University of Vermont, where several students are given the opportunity to work in their research laboratories for a year between second and final year.

So although there is no placement year specifically mentioned I assume this would count as a one if I managed to get a place?

In regards to BMS in the NHS, I definitely would like to work in the NHS but would it really be necessary to work as a BMS before applying to the STP? I understand the competition is fierce but would it not be enough to have the placement year and maybe a 1st? If I did work as a BMS in the NHS, then surely it would be easier to gain accreditation via the IBMS accredited route rather than applying for the STP?

Sorry for all the questions lol, and thank you for your advice.
Original post by hhqurashi
Hi , thank you for the response and links:smile:
The course is "BSC Hons" which sounds about right, and I would definitely aim for a 1st!
In regards to the placement year the website says this:

The School has established links with two universities in the USA - the University of Nevada in Reno and the University of Vermont, where several students are given the opportunity to work in their research laboratories for a year between second and final year.

So although there is no placement year specifically mentioned I assume this would count as a one if I managed to get a place?

In regards to BMS in the NHS, I definitely would like to work in the NHS but would it really be necessary to work as a BMS before applying to the STP? I understand the competition is fierce but would it not be enough to have the placement year and maybe a 1st? If I did work as a BMS in the NHS, then surely it would be easier to gain accreditation via the IBMS accredited route rather than applying for the STP?

Sorry for all the questions lol, and thank you for your advice.

You do not have to become a Biomedical Scientist prior to becoming a Clinical Scientist, in fact, I would advise against it. It's a lot of unnecessary work to achieve the role of Biomedical Scientist, when infact you could have applied for the STP after graduating from any life science undergraduate degree.

You do not have to do a placement during your undergraduate degree. There is confusion between the NHS direct route to being a Biomedical Scientist (PTP) and the direct route to being a Clinical Scientist (STP). You will do all relevant placements during the STP.
Original post by RegisteredBMS
You do not have to become a Biomedical Scientist prior to becoming a Clinical Scientist, in fact, I would advise against it. It's a lot of unnecessary work to achieve the role of Biomedical Scientist, when infact you could have applied for the STP after graduating from any life science undergraduate degree.

You do not have to do a placement during your undergraduate degree. There is confusion between the NHS direct route to being a Biomedical Scientist (PTP) and the direct route to being a Clinical Scientist (STP). You will do all relevant placements during the STP.

Ah okay thank you for clearing this up!

So am I right in saying that the easiest route for me to become a clinical scientist would be to graduate with a 3 year degree in BMS (which is IBMS accredited if that makes any difference) and then apply straight to the STP?

Thank you for helping me out :smile:
Original post by hhqurashi
Ah okay thank you for clearing this up!

So am I right in saying that the easiest route for me to become a clinical scientist would be to graduate with a 3 year degree in BMS (which is IBMS accredited if that makes any difference) and then apply straight to the STP?

Thank you for helping me out :smile:

Yes, but unlike becoming a Biomedical Scientist, the IBMS accreditation makes no official difference.

Of course, there's arguments to get into in regards to what kind of degrees stand you in better stead for an application, but fundamentally they only require an undergraduate degree and, I did once encounter a Consultant Clinical Scientist who was part of the the admissions process who claimed that once you meet the entry requirements, that's it, they're not considered further.
Original post by RegisteredBMS
Yes, but unlike becoming a Biomedical Scientist, the IBMS accreditation makes no official difference.

Of course, there's arguments to get into in regards to what kind of degrees stand you in better stead for an application, but fundamentally they only require an undergraduate degree and, I did once encounter a Consultant Clinical Scientist who was part of the the admissions process who claimed that once you meet the entry requirements, that's it, they're not considered further.

Okay thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending