The Student Room Group

Co worker and women?

I work in Starbucks. My male co-worker is 24 years old, with whom I have the most amount of shifts has has taken fancy to one of the female customers who is a regular face at our branch.

I had noticed him eyeing her quite a bit a few weeks ago but brushed it off. Now, this particular lady is apparently on his "friends" list when she visits the shop. She usually comes every day.

While him eyeing her all the time hasn't impacted his work performance as he does focus on his work, I do find it a bit unsettling that he's doing this? I caught him directly today when we were making smoothies for a customer. This girl was picking up a Starbucks cup from the shelves, he saw her, eyed her for a few secs then got back to work. He has been quite blatant lately as our female co worker also pointed out that a week ago, he just started chatting with the same girl in front of her even though he was given the task of unpacking the cups and bottles. He ultimately went on to do his job but not before he sought attention from her.

How do I deal with this guy? Is this unprofessional? Should I report him or let him have his fling or love story as he pleases?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I work in Starbucks. My male co-worker is 24 years old, with whom I have the most amount of shifts has has taken fancy to one of the female customers who is a regular face at our branch.

I had noticed him eyeing her quite a bit a few weeks ago but brushed it off. Now, this particular lady is apparently on his "friends" list when she visits the shop. She usually comes every day.

While him eyeing her all the time hasn't impacted his work performance as he does focus on his work, I do find it a bit unsettling that he's doing this? I caught him directly today when we were making smoothies for a customer. This girl was picking up a Starbucks cup from the shelves, he saw her, eyed her for a few secs then got back to work. He has been quite blatant lately as our female co worker also pointed out that a week ago, he just started chatting with the same girl in front of her even though he was given the task of unpacking the cups and bottles. He ultimately went on to do his job but not before he sought attention from her.

How do I deal with this guy? Is this unprofessional? Should I report him or let him have his fling or love story as he pleases?

I say as long as he’s doing his work and it’s not affecting the business in a negative way to just leave it he seems like a lil pup in love it’d be sad to loose his job over it
It is kind of unsettling however so if you see signs of upset customers or anything strange definitely flag it up also if it’s affecting the business but if not I say just leave him be? Hope this helps!
Reply 2
I say as long as he’s doing his work and it’s not affecting the business in a negative way to just leave it he seems like a lil pup in love it’d be sad to loose his job over it
It is kind of unsettling however so if you see signs of upset customers or anything strange definitely flag it up also if it’s affecting the business but if not I say just leave him be? Hope this helps!

That's the main point. He does his job and there are no problems there except the occasional 1 or 2 sec dozing off in the direction of the said lady and then the random chats of wishing her good day etc etc etc.
Best to mind your own business unless you see him doing anything illegal or a customer complains.
I really do not see the issue here at all. Surely he is allowed to chat with the customers etc? I would just mind your own business tbh.

It doesn't appear to be affecting his work performance, and so you should leave him to it.
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
Best to mind your own business unless you see him doing anything illegal or a customer complains.

The lady has not complained instead she's friendly towards him
Reply 7
Original post by sufys12
It doesn't appear to be affecting his work performance, and so you should leave him to it.

That's the main point. He does his job and there are no problems there except the occasional 1 or 2 sec dozing off in the direction of the said lady and then the random chats of wishing her good day etc etc etc.

This.

In that case I say do nothing. He’s not really affecting business and he’s probably just has a harmless crush
Reply 9
In that case I say do nothing. He’s not really affecting business and he’s probably just has a harmless crush

Agreed. But he surely does know that crushing is kinda awkward in such an environment?
So he does his work, provides a warm welcome for one of your regulars, who actually seems to reciprocate, and hasn't done anything to offend anyone. Have any other customers given them weird looks?

The only potential issue I see in what you've written is that he may need to be prompted to do his work. But whether that is an issue is up to your shift manager. It doesn't look as if you're being given extra work to do to cover for him so I don't think any complaints are warranted.
Original post by ThomH97
So he does his work, provides a warm welcome for one of your regulars, who actually seems to reciprocate, and hasn't done anything to offend anyone. Have any other customers given them weird looks?

The only potential issue I see in what you've written is that he may need to be prompted to do his work. But whether that is an issue is up to your shift manager. It doesn't look as if you're being given extra work to do to cover for him so I don't think any complaints are warranted.

I wouldn't say it was a warm welcome. In early days, he would blatantly keep looking at her. I noticed this particularly once as when she paid the amount, his gaze was fixated on her before he went along with have a good day. I'm thinking they didn't talk that time as she only placed orders and smiled, he also didn't greet her. I was also next to him when a male customer was paying through contact less and she was behind him , my coworker was all throughout looking at her instead of the one in front of him.

Now he's become talkative towards her so they chat now but that hasn't stopped him from the glances in between.
I wouldn't say it was a warm welcome. In early days, he would blatantly keep looking at her. I noticed this particularly once as when she paid the amount, his gaze was fixated on her before he went along with have a good day. I'm thinking they didn't talk that time as she only placed orders and smiled, he also didn't greet her. I was also next to him when a male customer was paying through contact less and she was behind him , my coworker was all throughout looking at her instead of the one in front of him.

Now he's become talkative towards her so they chat now but that hasn't stopped him from the glances in between.

Original post by ThomH97

Regarding weird looks, no.

But it is noticeable that people can tell they know or at least he gives her preferential treatment.

So once she has become a regular, he has become more familiar?

You obviously think he fancies her, and if what you've written is true then I'd say you're probably correct. But, unless you think he's risking losing customers, there's nothing really to report. Your shift manager will be aware of who's doing what tasks. What would you report him for anyway?
Agreed. But he surely does know that crushing is kinda awkward in such an environment?

I don’t really think there’s an ideal environment for crushing haha tbh I’d do the same but actually make a move instead of dragging it lol. At the end of the day, it’s his business and he doesn’t seem to be doing any harm to either the business of the woman as she may have visibly been disturbed or upset. If they’re both being friendly, it’s best to not do anything at all 😊
Original post by ThomH97
So once she has become a regular, he has become more familiar?

You obviously think he fancies her, and if what you've written is true then I'd say you're probably correct. But, unless you think he's risking losing customers, there's nothing really to report. Your shift manager will be aware of who's doing what tasks. What would you report him for anyway?

No he became familiar from the last two weeks. She's been a regular since the last month as I'm seeing her since March. I do remember this customer as she used to come last year after lockdown eased. Didn't see her after that until March 2021.

So comes in here everyday since then and he has been eyeing her for a few weeks until the last week where he got familiar with her. I presume him watching her did not generate response? As he never talked to her.

He doesn't pose any harm and does his job efficiently. The only issue I'm worried for is he can be a bit childish at times and his preference has gotten a bit obvious. Likewise, he leaves cups, plates and other items on the shelf for customers to take but if not on the counter, then will give her the drink personally instead of leaving it for others.
No he became familiar from the last two weeks. She's been a regular since the last month as I'm seeing her since March. I do remember this customer as she used to come last year after lockdown eased. Didn't see her after that until March 2021.

So comes in here everyday since then and he has been eyeing her for a few weeks until the last week where he got familiar with her. I presume him watching her did not generate response? As he never talked to her.

He doesn't pose any harm and does his job efficiently. The only issue I'm worried for is he can be a bit childish at times and his preference has gotten a bit obvious. Likewise, he leaves cups, plates and other items on the shelf for customers to take but if not on the counter, then will give her the drink personally instead of leaving it for others.

Depending on what you mean by it, him being 'a bit childish' at times could be worth reporting to your shift manager. His preference is obvious to you, a coworker who shares most of his shifts and is actively on the lookout for this, but unless it's bothering customers it's not an issue.

I've not been to Starbucks for ages, is it a breach of Covid rules for him to hand a customer their drink directly? If not that's fine too.
Original post by ThomH97
Depending on what you mean by it, him being 'a bit childish' at times could be worth reporting to your shift manager. His preference is obvious to you, a coworker who shares most of his shifts and is actively on the lookout for this, but unless it's bothering customers it's not an issue.

I've not been to Starbucks for ages, is it a breach of Covid rules for him to hand a customer their drink directly? If not that's fine too.

Childish in the sense that he seems quite hyper active at times and will goof and joke around which we all enjoy but it makes him look like a big baby haha

I dont think it bothers customers. At most, they can tell he's at least "friends" with this specific customer.
Not exactly a breach though we have asked staff to not touch the drink but we are accepting change and cash so what's the point anyway. I only pointed out as since the last 3 days, he personally gives the drink to her rather than just flat out leaving it on the table.
Do excuse me if you think this is offensive however I must ask you... it seems to me that perhaps you like him? Lol
Do excuse me if you think this is offensive however I must ask you... it seems to me that perhaps you like him? Lol

No not really haha. He's not tall so he's cancelled there for me and I think the customer would probably think the same as us girls like tall men 🤔?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending