The Student Room Group

Physics

Hi, could someone help me with this question please? I think it involves the equations for GPE and KE but I’m struggling on how to do it without being given the mass of the ball.

A ball is dropped from the top of a cliff. By the time it reaches the ground, all the energy in its GPE store has transferred into its KE store. If the ball is travelling at 20 m/s when it hits the ground, what height was it dropped from? (assuming gravitational field strength is equal to 10N/Kg)
Oh God this is dead easy.
Reply 2
Original post by Kawalas108
Oh God this is dead easy.

Physics isn’t my strong point - there’s no need to reply if you aren’t going to help though :smile:
Reply 3
When you normally do these sorts of calculations, you usually do something like 12mv2=mgh\frac12 m v^2 = mgh.

Clearly then, you can cancel out the mass term.

This should be intuitive - after all, acceleration due to gravity is constant on Earth, if you drop any two things from the same height with air resistance not being a factor, they will fall at the same acceleration & therefore the same velocity.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 67824930
Hi, could someone help me with this question please? I think it involves the equations for GPE and KE but I’m struggling on how to do it without being given the mass of the ball.

A ball is dropped from the top of a cliff. By the time it reaches the ground, all the energy in its GPE store has transferred into its KE store. If the ball is travelling at 20 m/s when it hits the ground, what height was it dropped from? (assuming gravitational field strength is equal to 10N/Kg)

GPE = m*g*h
KE = mv^2

Equal these equations for the energies and convert it to the height h. g stands for gravitational force, it is g = 9,81 N/kg = 10 N/kg
FA25DCD7-5AA3-4CBE-B4E6-CCAA16751F5C.jpg.jpeg
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
When you normally do these sorts of calculations, you usually do something like 12mv2=mgh\frac12 m v^2 = mgh.

Clearly then, you can cancel out the mass term.

This should be intuitive - after all, acceleration due to gravity is constant on Earth, if you drop any two things from the same height with air resistance not being a factor, they will fall at the same acceleration & therefore the same velocity.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Kallisto
GPE = m*g*h
KE = mv^2

Equal these equations for the energies and convert it to the height h. g stands for gravitational force, it is g = 9,81 N/kg = 10 N/kg

Thank you!
Reply 8

Thanks, that’s very helpful :smile:

Wow, you are very fast - and I appreciate your efforts to make a picture to post it here. Very kind of you!

Original post by 67824930
Thank you!

It was my pleasure to help you! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest