The Student Room Group

Computer Science

Is there anyway to get into universities to do bcs on computer science? I have to 2 subjects in a-levels maths and accounting. I had physics and chemistry but failed in them miserably but got a good grade in o level but not that bright. So is there anyway? Can anyone please help me?
You could do a foundation year but that'[s an expensive and limiting option. You'd be better off taking A level comp sci in a year.
Original post by Imtiaz 07
Is there anyway to get into universities to do bcs on computer science? I have to 2 subjects in a-levels maths and accounting. I had physics and chemistry but failed in them miserably but got a good grade in o level but not that bright. So is there anyway? Can anyone please help me?

Hey @Imtiaz 07,

Have you considered doing a foundation year? The with Foundation Year programme is ideal for applicants who do not quite meet the entry requirements for the three year degree or who would benefit from further a further year’s study in relation to studying a science subject. You'd be studying a foundation year for your first year and successful completion of the 1st year would see you go on to the 3 year BSc so your outcome at the end of the course will still be a BSc in Computer Science.

Have a read of this page - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2021/g40f-computer-science-with-foundation-year.

If you have any more questions let me know :smile:
Rhian

For nearly all universities you need 3 A levels to go onto a degree course. As already said your choices would be a further A level or a foundation year. You can fast track an A level or possibly do a BTEC in a year. The A level subject would largely be irrelevant but Computer Science or IT would seem the obvious ones. Another would be Further Maths. Avoid Business Studies as some places might look on that and Accountancy as similar subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You could do a foundation year but that'[s an expensive and limiting option. You'd be better off taking A level comp sci in a year.

Thank you for your reply.

How much would it cost me? Do you have any idea regarding the cost?
And what about diploma in computer science. Will that be a good idea? Cuz going for a-levels for another year plus 4 years in bsc thats a lot of time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
For nearly all universities you need 3 A levels to go onto a degree course. As already said your choices would be a further A level or a foundation year. You can fast track an A level or possibly do a BTEC in a year. The A level subject would largely be irrelevant but Computer Science or IT would seem the obvious ones. Another would be Further Maths. Avoid Business Studies as some places might look on that and Accountancy as similar subjects.

Are there any other options for me over here cuz i know I really messed up my chances but i still want to do BSc in computer science.
And if i do BTEC in a year will i be able to finish my BSc in 3 years.
Are there any other options for me over here cuz i know I really messed up my chances but i still want to do BSc in computer science.
And if i do BTEC in a year will i be able to finish my BSc in 3 years.

Nearly all universities off BScs in 3 years. There is 1 private university offering 2 year degrees. Cannot remember who. I think it is Buckingham but dont know if they offer Computer Science. @PQ @McGinger can either of you recall which uni offers 2 year degrees. Perhaps you might find a lower rated university who might accept you with 2 A levels. If you are desperate try ring around universities at the bottom of the Complete University ranking to see if anyone will accept you.
Reply 7
Nearly all universities off BScs in 3 years. There is 1 private university offering 2 year degrees. Cannot remember who. I think it is Buckingham but dont know if they offer Computer Science. @PQ @McGinger can either of you recall which uni offers 2 year degrees. Perhaps you might find a lower rated university who might accept you with 2 A levels. If you are desperate try ring around universities at the bottom of the Complete University ranking to see if anyone will accept you.

Will i be able to get into a good university with a diploma?
Will i be able to get into a good university with a diploma?

Most universities accept Btecs. A few dont but most do. A level Maths is required for most universities and you have that so you should be OK.

It depends what you class as a good university. Cambridge and Imperial I think dont accept BTEC but nearly everywhere else in England and Wales does. You need to check the entry requirements of any university that you are interested in going to so you can be sure.
Reply 9
Most universities accept Btecs. A few dont but most do. A level Maths is required for most universities and you have that so you should be OK.

It depends what you class as a good university. Cambridge and Imperial I think dont accept BTEC but nearly everywhere else in England and Wales does. You need to check the entry requirements of any university that you are interested in going to so you can be sure.

Thanks mate. Thank you so much for your help. ❤️❤️
Reply 10

Btw do you know anything about other universities other than the ones in the uk that may or may not accept diploma?
Thanks in advance.
Btw do you know anything about other universities other than the ones in the uk that may or may not accept diploma?
Thanks in advance.

I dont but I think universities outside the UK wont accept BTEC. It is a UK qualification. If you are looking outside the UK you will probably be better fast tracking another A level eg Computer Science or maybe Further Maths given you will already have taken Maths. There used to be an A level in Stats but I dont know if that is still being offered. I think it has ceased but it seems to be in your interests but CS seems ideal.
Here is the course I was thinking about but you need to check with the universities you are interested in whether they will accept Maths, Statistics and Accountancy.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/statistics/2017/Specification%20and%20Sample%20assessment%20material/A-level-Statistics-Specification.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Here is the course I was thinking about but you need to check with the universities you are interested in whether they will accept Maths, Statistics and Accountancy.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A Level/statistics/2017/Specification and Sample assessment material/A-level-Statistics-Specification.pdf

I do have statistics (WST01/01) in my a levels it is included with the overall math units.
(edited 3 years ago)
I do have statistics (WST01/01) in my a levels it is included with the overall math units.

Yes but this is a full A level in Stats.
Reply 15

Thank you so much for the help brother❤️❤️. May Allah bless you.
Reply 16

One more thing brother. If i wish to finish a-levels computer science within half a year, would i be able to do it? Or will that be really difficult for me? Like if there is a Oct/nov exam session.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Bangor Uni
Hey @Imtiaz 07,

Have you considered doing a foundation year? The with Foundation Year programme is ideal for applicants who do not quite meet the entry requirements for the three year degree or who would benefit from further a further year’s study in relation to studying a science subject. You'd be studying a foundation year for your first year and successful completion of the 1st year would see you go on to the 3 year BSc so your outcome at the end of the course will still be a BSc in Computer Science.

Have a read of this page - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2021/g40f-computer-science-with-foundation-year.

If you have any more questions let me know :smile:
Rhian

How much would the foundation cost me?
One more thing brother. If i wish to finish a-levels computer science within half a year, would i be able to do it? Or will that be really difficult for me? Like if there is a Oct/nov exam session.

I very much doubt that you will able to complete an A level in a few months. They are normally done over 2 years but sometimes can be fast tracked in a year. You need to speak someone who knows your abilities well and discuss it with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending