The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Course has everything I want but...its London Met, Is it worth it?

what is it about the fact it's London Met do you not like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Has the thread glitched out for anyone else? Original post is missing. Either that or it got removed.
lol
Original post by Aubrietia
what is it about the fact it's London Met do you not like?

It doesn't have a good reputation as far as I know. When it is brought up people always say "London Met Uni is rubbish" etc etc. So it may not be a good decision for me to go there. When employers see London Met Uni on a CV I'm not sure if the not so good reputation will put them off
Original post by Sinnoh
Has the thread glitched out for anyone else? Original post is missing. Either that or it got removed.

it seems its being moderated
Original post by ZakM73
no

looool fair enough
Just some advice but after graduating from uni (not London Met), I have found most employers don't really care where you graduated from so long as your degree is good and you have experience* and come across well when you speak.

*Experience is the most important thing, and they will likely pick someone with a year's experience from a "lower" university than someone who went Cambridge with no experience.

When you submit your CV, usually an online tool has been used to automatically sift the contents to see if what you have written matches the competencies and wording of the job description, and they sort them based on percentage match. Of the CVs that are left, on average recruiters spend about 7 seconds looking at the CVs that are left, so you need to make sure your CV is well formatted, consise and reflects the experience and skills you have.

Of course it helps and is nice to go to popularly known as "good" unis or Russel Group ones, but my point is that it is not the be all and end all - I have only seen a very few employers ever mention RG universities as a requirement for a grad scheme, so it is negligable. Again, they will likely take your 1st over a RG 2:2, or your experience over their lack of experience, assuming both your CVs made it through the sift stage.

Reflecting back when I was a student, there is always that sense of elitism and snobbery about universities, and there rightly is greater virtue in going to renown universities for their quality of teaching and facilities, but that does not discount the benefit of going to other universities lower on the table. At the end of the day, a uni may be 80th overall but 5th in your subject, and that's all that should matter to you as a student since you will be learning there. The rankings of unis otherwise changes year on year, and reputation is somewhat based on popular perception, not reality of the tables, so a good name can only carry you so far, whereas a good grade will always open doors.

If London Met is good and convenient for you, go for it. Your main focus regardless where you go should be getting a good final degree and getting experience - be that volunteering, summer internships, a year in industry, or having a side job throughout uni, and that will make you more employable than others.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dee-Melxnin
whaaaat?! is there an article or something? how did you find this out?

There is an article from 2013 on BBC news
Original post by Zamestaneh
Just some advice but after graduating from uni (not London Met), I have found most employers don't really care where you graduated from so long as your degree is good and you have experience* and come across well when you speak.

*Experience is the most important thing, and they will likely pick someone with a year's experience from a "lower" university than someone who went Cambridge with no experience.

When you submit your CV, usually an online tool has been used to automatically sift the contents to see if what you have written matches the competencies and wording of the job description, and they sort them based on percentage match. Of the CVs that are left, on average recruiters spend about 7 seconds looking at the CVs that are left, so you need to make sure your CV is well formatted, consise and reflects the experience and skills you have.

Of course it helps and is nice to go to popularly known as "good" unis or Russel Group ones, but my point is that it is not the be all and end all - I have only seen a very few employers ever mention RG universities as a requirement for a grad scheme, so it is negligable. Again, they will likely take your 1st over a RG 2:2, or your experience over their lack of experience, assuming both your CVs made it through the sift stage.

Reflecting back when I was a student, there is always that sense of elitism and snobbery about universities, and there rightly is greater virtue in going to renown universities for their quality of teaching and facilities, but that does not discount the benefit of going to other universities lower on the table. At the end of the day, a uni may be 80th overall but 5th in your subject, and that's all that should matter to you as a student since you will be learning there. The rankings of unis otherwise changes year on year, and reputation is somewhat based on popular perception, not reality of the tables, so a good name can only carry you so far, whereas a good grade will always open doors.

If London Met is good and convenient for you, go for it. Your main focus regardless where you go should be getting a good final degree and getting experience - be that volunteering, summer internships, a year in industry, or having a side job throughout uni, and that will make you more employable than others.

Hi, Thanks for this,
I completely agree with you actually, like I said In my op, usually I feel like schools/unis are what you make of it but London Met's bad reputation seems to come from a few points; some about the way it is run, some from its ranking. I haven't been able to find reviews on the course I specifically want so it was difficult for me to decide but now I think I would just rule it out. I don't think it's worth the risk
(also not sure if your Muslim but if you are Ramadan Mubarak :smile:)
There is an article from 2013 on BBC news

Thanks i'll check it out
Reply 11
it seems its being moderated

Which course are you hoping to do?

I wouldn't worry about things you have read, you can do well with a degree from London Met if you put the work in.
Original post by Kerzen
Which course are you hoping to do?

I wouldn't worry about things you have read, you can do well with a degree from London Met if you put the work in.

I wanted to do the Digital Media MA
Hmm I'll try to find more reviews about the course specifically but at this point I've pretty much dismissed it
thanks
Reply 13
I wanted to do the Digital Media MA
Hmm I'll try to find more reviews about the course specifically but at this point I've pretty much dismissed it
thanks

Why have you dismissed it, though? Have you taken into consideration the advantages of its location?

Where else are you looking at?
Original post by Kerzen
Why have you dismissed it, though? Have you taken into consideration the advantages of its location?

Where else are you looking at?

Mainly because of its reputation, I have found other courses that are similar enough that doesn't have a reputation like LdnMet. Also, I was trying to find more info on the actual course and the video the course has made to, I guess provide info on the course, was a bit underwhelming and slightly drab in terms of how it was put together and explained etc, it didn't get me enthusiastic as when I had read the course content on the website.

I'm studying for my undergrad in the midlands and for this masters, I'd really prefer to stay in London (I'm from London).
Right now my top pick is Birkbeck's Digital Media Management MA,
I have also looked at Brunel's Digital service design MSc or their Design strategy and innovation MA
Middlesex Media Management MA
Goldsmith's Digital Media MA
University of Westminister Media Management MA (this one is close 2nd)
Hi, Thanks for this,
I completely agree with you actually, like I said In my op, usually I feel like schools/unis are what you make of it but London Met's bad reputation seems to come from a few points; some about the way it is run, some from its ranking. I haven't been able to find reviews on the course I specifically want so it was difficult for me to decide but now I think I would just rule it out. I don't think it's worth the risk
(also not sure if your Muslim but if you are Ramadan Mubarak :smile:)

No problem, and thank you, I am - Ramadhan Mubarak to you too :smile:

Whatever you decide, just balance up all the points - like someone else mentioned above, also consider other points such as location - like if you have to move across the country to another university, think of living costs and rent, additional loans you'll have to take out, and consider if you'd be making a net financial loss or suffer greater inconvenience.

I noticed you said you want to do an MA course (Idk if you mean just the masters or if you mean a 4 year degree course with incorporated masters), but be mindful that you do not get maintenance loans for just masters courses - the masters loan is meant to cover both tuition and additional expenses.
(edited 3 years ago)
If you like the course then it's not necessarily a problem going there for any particular reason. Depending what subject area it is and what you want to do afterwards it may or may not have an effect on things (if you wanted to go into investment banking for example then you would be at a disadvantage, but that would also be true for any non-target uni).

Anecdotally I know of someone who did their undergrad at London Met then went on to do a PhD at UCL, so if you wanted to continue in academia at least it's not going to necessarily be a barrier.
No problem, and thank you, I am - Ramadhan Mubarak to you too :smile:

Whatever you decide, just balance up all the points - like someone else mentioned above, also consider other points such as location - like if you have to move across the country to another university, think of living costs and rent, additional loans you'll have to take out, and consider if you'd be making a net financial loss or suffer greater inconvenience.

I noticed you said you want to do an MA course (Idk if you mean just the masters or if you mean a 4 year degree course with incorporated masters), but be mindful that you do not get maintenance loans for just masters courses - the masters loan is meant to cover both tuition and additional expenses.

Thank youuuu it's going to be my first proper month (reverting)

I mean just the masters, 1 year postgrad. I mentioned in one of the replies that I'm from London and would prefer to stay here for the masters and so will be living in my family home and will probably find a part-time job or do freelance graphic work alongside the course
Original post by artful_lounger
If you like the course then it's not necessarily a problem going there for any particular reason. Depending what subject area it is and what you want to do afterwards it may or may not have an effect on things (if you wanted to go into investment banking for example then you would be at a disadvantage, but that would also be true for any non-target uni).

Anecdotally I know of someone who did their undergrad at London Met then went on to do a PhD at UCL, so if you wanted to continue in academia at least it's not going to necessarily be a barrier.

Thank you, I will keep this in mind
I'm already doing my undergrad so I'm looking to do a masters, after the masters I have absolutely no desire to stay in education any longer looool so I'm thinking about career prospects, employment, value, course content of course etc
whaaaat?! is there an article or something? how did you find this out?

It's very well known.

In 94, Palestinian groups exploded bombs outside the Israeli embassy and a Jewish community group building in North London, a fair number of people were injured. Two people were convicted of supplying the bombs and had a bunch of explosives and guns when they were arrested. They got 20 year sentences. When released, one of them applied for a job at London Met.

Some lefties will say that the convictions were disputed. The accused never denied being terrorists and never denied having the bombs or guns - they only claimed that they were "for use outside the UK"; becuase of course when you are planning a terrorist attack in Israel, the best place to keep all your bombs and guns is a flat in London. Makes sense.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending