The Student Room Group

Second degree (Medicine) Funding

Hi all,

Just to confirm, that as a second degree I would be eligible for a maintenance loan but not a tuition loan? And what would the maximum amount be if I lived outside London?

Also, halfway through my course, I would turn 25 which would make me a mature student. Does this change my entitlement to a loan? As in would it increase or decrease or would stay the same?

Thank you:smile:
Original post by MarshmallowStars
Hi all,

Just to confirm, that as a second degree I would be eligible for a maintenance loan but not a tuition loan? And what would the maximum amount be if I lived outside London?

Also, halfway through my course, I would turn 25 which would make me a mature student. Does this change my entitlement to a loan? As in would it increase or decrease or would stay the same?

Thank you:smile:

Hi,

Can you confirm the course details of the second degree you wish to study?

If you are under 25 at the start of the academic year we would assess you for the income assessed rate Maintenance Loan based on your parent(s) details. Unless, you have supported yourself for 3 years prior to the start of your studies, you can then apply to be assessed as an independent student, and we would request evidence of this.

Thanks, Amy
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi,

Can you confirm the course details of the second degree you wish to study?

If you are under 25 at the start of the academic year we would assess you for the income assessed rate Maintenance Loan based on your parent(s) details. Unless, you have supported yourself for 3 years prior to the start of your studies, you can then apply to be assessed as an independent student, and we would request evidence of this.

Thanks, Amy

Thank you for the quick response

Keele University
UCAS course code: A100
Start: September 2021
Thank you for the quick response

Keele University
UCAS course code: A100
Start: September 2021

You're welcome.

If you hold an ELQ you will be eligible for a Maintenance Loan only for the first 4 years of your course. In the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income assessed NHS Bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

The maximum amount of Maintenance Loan for student living 'elsewhere' for the 21/22 academic year is up to £9,488.

You can use the student finance calculator here for an estimate figure; https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks, Amy
Original post by Amy SFE
You're welcome.

If you hold an ELQ you will be eligible for a Maintenance Loan only for the first 4 years of your course. In the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income assessed NHS Bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

The maximum amount of Maintenance Loan for student living 'elsewhere' for the 21/22 academic year is up to £9,488.

You can use the student finance calculator here for an estimate figure; https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks, Amy

Okay, thank you :smile:

What is an ELQ and how would I know if I hold it?
Okay, thank you :smile:

What is an ELQ and how would I know if I hold it?

You're welcome.

It is an Equivalent or Lower Level Qualification.

Thanks, Amy
Original post by Amy SFE
You're welcome.

It is an Equivalent or Lower Level Qualification.

Thanks, Amy

So I am about to finish my biomedical science degree (UCAS code B900, full time), would I qualify for the ELQ for a loan for the medicine course (A100, full time?
So I am about to finish my biomedical science degree (UCAS code B900, full time), would I qualify for the ELQ for a loan for the medicine course (A100, full time?

Yes, this is considered as an ELQ.

However, as Medicine is one of our exception courses you will be eligible to receive the Maintenance Loan in the first 4 years of your course and in the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income assessed NHS Bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

You would not be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Amy
Original post by Amy SFE
Yes, this is considered as an ELQ.

However, as Medicine is one of our exception courses you will be eligible to receive the Maintenance Loan in the first 4 years of your course and in the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income assessed NHS Bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

You would not be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Amy

Okay, that's great Amy!

Thank you so much for your help and for clarifying things:smile: I very much appreciate it
Okay, that's great Amy!

Thank you so much for your help and for clarifying things:smile: I very much appreciate it

You're very welcome 😊 If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards, Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending