The Student Room Group

Exeter or Bristol uni for psychology?

I have offers to study psychology at Exeter and Bristol university but am really unsure on which to choose. Both have their pros and cons so I was wondering if anyone had any advice or opinions to share to help me decide
One thing to consider might be what kind of city vibe you want! Bristol is a pretty big city, tonnes of live music and every cuisine you can possibly think of. It's very lively and you never run out of things to do, but also has quite a lot of big green spaces in and around it when you need to escape the city! Personally loved Bristol and out of the other uni cities I've visited (exeter NOT being one of them) I always think it's the best haha. Have you visited either of them? Now we are allowed to travel, it might be worth doing!
Original post by ritz08
One thing to consider might be what kind of city vibe you want! Bristol is a pretty big city, tonnes of live music and every cuisine you can possibly think of. It's very lively and you never run out of things to do, but also has quite a lot of big green spaces in and around it when you need to escape the city! Personally loved Bristol and out of the other uni cities I've visited (exeter NOT being one of them) I always think it's the best haha. Have you visited either of them? Now we are allowed to travel, it might be worth doing!

Hey, thanks for the help. Yes I’ve been to both and prefer Bristol as a city a lot more but I think I prefer the modules at Exeter, also Exeter is a bit closer to home so I’m really stuck
Original post by Marthaalexanderr
Hey, thanks for the help. Yes I’ve been to both and prefer Bristol as a city a lot more but I think I prefer the modules at Exeter, also Exeter is a bit closer to home so I’m really stuck

Hmm, it's a tricky one! All BPS accredited psychology degrees cover the same stuff with some added extra topics so the modules probably don't differ very much between the 2 courses. What are the main differences in the modules at Exeter that you prefer?
I personally think where you're studying is super important because if you love the city you're in, you will feel at home there which is important when you're there for 3+ years! Most of my friends who studied with me adore Bristol and want to move back when they're older because they feel so at home here.
Original post by ritz08
Hmm, it's a tricky one! All BPS accredited psychology degrees cover the same stuff with some added extra topics so the modules probably don't differ very much between the 2 courses. What are the main differences in the modules at Exeter that you prefer?
I personally think where you're studying is super important because if you love the city you're in, you will feel at home there which is important when you're there for 3+ years! Most of my friends who studied with me adore Bristol and want to move back when they're older because they feel so at home here.

Exeter have a lot more specific modules and bristols seem to be more vague and have less modules listed. Also someone else pointed out to me that student satisfaction at Bristol for psychology is quite low. I’m not sure why that would be as it’s such a good university but idk. Do you study there or have an offer from Bristol?
Exeter have a lot more specific modules and bristols seem to be more vague and have less modules listed. Also someone else pointed out to me that student satisfaction at Bristol for psychology is quite low. I’m not sure why that would be as it’s such a good university but idk. Do you study there or have an offer from Bristol?

It’s quite likely they’ll cover very similar topics in both. Perhaps you could reach out to one of the tutors on the course to get more detailed info on the modules? Sometimes they lump them all together under one title but you’ll be taught very similar things across BPS accredited psychology courses.
I also know of a YouTuber called Selina Ozay who did psychology at Exeter and has some YouTube videos about it which might help?

I studied chemistry at Bristol and graduated last year and I’m starting my masters in psychology in September so have been doing a LOT of research on it in the last few months! Bristol can be a bit of a mixed bag with how supportive tutors are on different courses (I personally didn’t have the best experience with the chemistry department) but I don’t think they’re all like that.
One of my friends did psychology and education (very similar to straight psychology) at Bristol and loved it! It’s also a great place to do a placement year because there are lots of opportunities in Bristol.
I've also just had a look on the complete uni guide league tables and for psychology student satisfaction Bristol has 78% and Exeter has 79% so there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference there!
Original post by ritz08
It’s quite likely they’ll cover very similar topics in both. Perhaps you could reach out to one of the tutors on the course to get more detailed info on the modules? Sometimes they lump them all together under one title but you’ll be taught very similar things across BPS accredited psychology courses.
I also know of a YouTuber called Selina Ozay who did psychology at Exeter and has some YouTube videos about it which might help?

I studied chemistry at Bristol and graduated last year and I’m starting my masters in psychology in September so have been doing a LOT of research on it in the last few months! Bristol can be a bit of a mixed bag with how supportive tutors are on different courses (I personally didn’t have the best experience with the chemistry department) but I don’t think they’re all like that.
One of my friends did psychology and education (very similar to straight psychology) at Bristol and loved it! It’s also a great place to do a placement year because there are lots of opportunities in Bristol.

Thanks for the idea about reaching out to a tutor I think I will! And yeah I watch her on YouTube and I found her videos helpful and stuff, Exeter looks quite nice from what I can tell. And oh that’s weird I thought I saw on one website that the student satisfaction was a lot lower than average for Bristol. Thanks so much for your help and good luck with your masters!
Thanks for the idea about reaching out to a tutor I think I will! And yeah I watch her on YouTube and I found her videos helpful and stuff, Exeter looks quite nice from what I can tell. And oh that’s weird I thought I saw on one website that the student satisfaction was a lot lower than average for Bristol. Thanks so much for your help and good luck with your masters!

No worries! I know how difficult it can be to pick a course but you'll probably enjoy yourself wherever you end up if you're studying what you want to study. Good luck with it all!

Exeter is a far nicer camous so, as you prefer the course, go there.

There's plenty to do in Exeter ...
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is a far nicer camous so, as you prefer the course, go there.

There's plenty to do in Exeter ...

I really like the look of Bristol campus as well and I think the city has a nicer atmosphere so it’s hard, I don’t wanna end up regretting my decision
I really like the look of Bristol campus as well and I think the city has a nicer atmosphere so it’s hard, I don’t wanna end up regretting my decision

Bristol's campus is nowhere near as beautiful ... personally I think Bristol as a place is over-crowded and toxic.
Bristol's campus is nowhere near as beautiful ... personally I think Bristol as a place is over-crowded and toxic.

In what way is it toxic would you say? Just curious as I’ve only really heard good things about Bristol
In what way is it toxic would you say? Just curious as I’ve only really heard good things about Bristol

Too crowded, too much traffic, a city that's grown too big.

There was a huge fire of 20 000 tonnes of scrap metal last October when we were last there.

That’s a very specific opinion to have I must say. I haven’t heard anyone else describe Bristol as toxic, that seems like an opinion you’d form after having a personally very negative time there! By far most people I’ve met from uni and in work since graduating absolutely love Bristol! It’s a small enough city that you can get to know the centre parts really well and feel at home, but big enough you will never get bored.
It is still a city so obviously can be crowded as all cities can be. OP try to think about it objectively as obviously there’ll be people who’ve had negative experiences at any university. I definitely had some negative experiences but overall it was very positive!
Bristol isn’t a campus uni so you’ll be spending all your free time off of campus, so how pretty the campus is really isn’t as important (I really liked it anyway!). The city itself is much more important so go with your gut feeling on how you felt there!
Original post by ritz08
That’s a very specific opinion to have I must say. I haven’t heard anyone else describe Bristol as toxic, that seems like an opinion you’d form after having a personally very negative time there! By far most people I’ve met from uni and in work since graduating absolutely love Bristol! It’s a small enough city that you can get to know the centre parts really well and feel at home, but big enough you will never get bored.
It is still a city so obviously can be crowded as all cities can be. OP try to think about it objectively as obviously there’ll be people who’ve had negative experiences at any university. I definitely had some negative experiences but overall it was very positive!
Bristol isn’t a campus uni so you’ll be spending all your free time off of campus, so how pretty the campus is really isn’t as important (I really liked it anyway!). The city itself is much more important so go with your gut feeling on how you felt there!

Thank you :smile: would you say Bristol may be too busy or overwhelming for someone who grew up in an isolated village? I currently live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and don’t really like it, but I’m a bit worried moving to a fairly big city like Bristol as opposed to smaller like Exeter might be a bit of a shock
Thank you :smile: would you say Bristol may be too busy or overwhelming for someone who grew up in an isolated village? I currently live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and don’t really like it, but I’m a bit worried moving to a fairly big city like Bristol as opposed to smaller like Exeter might be a bit of a shock

I think it depends what kind of person you are! Might be refreshing more than anything. It’s really not that crazy busy in my eyes, having grown up in London I know what a really busy city is! For me it’s a great combination of a city but not too big of one!
Original post by ritz08
I think it depends what kind of person you are! Might be refreshing more than anything. It’s really not that crazy busy in my eyes, having grown up in London I know what a really busy city is! For me it’s a great combination of a city but not too big of one!

Yeah I visited the other day and thought it seemed quite relaxed and chilled even though it’s much bigger than I’m used to. The only thing I’m unsure of is the course and the fact that it’s a bit further from home than Exeter. Also I need AAB or equivalent for Bristol whereas Exeter is one grade lower than that but only if I firm. Such a hard decision :/
Original post by ritz08
That’s a very specific opinion to have I must say. I haven’t heard anyone else describe Bristol as toxic,

Clearly we know a very different set of people - I have a few friends that grew up there and couldn;t wait to leave - several are now in London!
It has overgrown itself ..

Yes - very much so - Bristol has docks but Exeter has a lovely quay.

Try to vist now travel is permitted. Bristol is far more 'industrial'

Quick Reply

Latest