The Student Room Group

A level Computer Science Project

Hi guys currently in year 12 but my teacher said we should start thinking of what we will be doing for our Coding project. I was thinking of doing a research project but I haven't found any that don't scream MATHS so I'm finding it difficult to come up with an idea. Although I was also considering coding ideas like a story book game for kids or something. If you have any ideas for research projects or other coding projects it will be highly appreciated 😊😊
Reply 1
Original post by Peeacee
Hi guys currently in year 12 but my teacher said we should start thinking of what we will be doing for our Coding project. I was thinking of doing a research project but I haven't found any that don't scream MATHS so I'm finding it difficult to come up with an idea. Although I was also considering coding ideas like a story book game for kids or something. If you have any ideas for research projects or other coding projects it will be highly appreciated 😊😊

what other subjects do you do?
what do you want to do at uni?
Original post by pwk123
what other subjects do you do?
what do you want to do at uni?

I'm also studying Sociology and Psychology. I wanna do an apprenticeship in IT
Reply 3
If you're interested in games and have some understanding of Psychology (brain development and problem solving), then a problem solving game that would be accessible to kids under-5 (pre-reading) would be really cool. My son loves a good puzzle game. There is one for adults without words called Framed, just graphic tiles that have to be reordered so the person can make an escape. The only downside is that this person is shot at (not very graphic, but not ideal for young kids either). Maybe an adaptation of that game would work. Not sure about the write part of the coding project for this, but you could definitely link you interest in Psychology to it.

Definitely pick something that interests you. Nothing worse than researching, coding and writing about something you have no interest in. Too much temptation to procrastinate. An alternative to a game would be to think about something you'd like to automate or a tool you wish you had and see if you can design and develop a project around that. I love Fantasy football and have been fiddling with the FPL API to see how I could use it to help fill some analysis gaps that other tools out there don't offer.
Original post by k1tsun3
If you're interested in games and have some understanding of Psychology (brain development and problem solving), then a problem solving game that would be accessible to kids under-5 (pre-reading) would be really cool. My son loves a good puzzle game. There is one for adults without words called Framed, just graphic tiles that have to be reordered so the person can make an escape. The only downside is that this person is shot at (not very graphic, but not ideal for young kids either). Maybe an adaptation of that game would work. Not sure about the write part of the coding project for this, but you could definitely link you interest in Psychology to it.

Definitely pick something that interests you. Nothing worse than researching, coding and writing about something you have no interest in. Too much temptation to procrastinate. An alternative to a game would be to think about something you'd like to automate or a tool you wish you had and see if you can design and develop a project around that. I love Fantasy football and have been fiddling with the FPL API to see how I could use it to help fill some analysis gaps that other tools out there don't offer.

That’s a really good idea! I’ll take that into consideration thank you 😊
Reply 5
Hi,
I am in Year 13 finishing off my project. I did mine in simulating human development over time, and adaptation to a civilizations environment. I thought this wasn't going to be too mathsy but turns it had a lot of formulas and equations as-well as complex data structures and pathfinding algorithms, but all of these things give you marks.

To get in the high bands you will need "Complex scientific/mathematical/robotics/control/business model", "Hash tables, lists, stacks, queues, graphs, trees or structures of equivalent standard" which all sound very mathsy but it will be alright. You have a lot of time to complete to complete the project, and you have to time to learn any things you may need - but I think you might just need to accept that there will be a degree of maths involved.

However, there is hope.

Databases ("Complex data model in database (eg several interlinked tables)")
and
Networking ("Complex client-server model")
Can also get you into these high bands, and these may require less maths, especially databases. I would advise you to read the mark scheme and plan your project around that, since that is what is going to get you marks.

I hope this will help a bit?
Original post by TBClark
Hi,
I am in Year 13 finishing off my project. I did mine in simulating human development over time, and adaptation to a civilizations environment. I thought this wasn't going to be too mathsy but turns it had a lot of formulas and equations as-well as complex data structures and pathfinding algorithms, but all of these things give you marks.

To get in the high bands you will need "Complex scientific/mathematical/robotics/control/business model", "Hash tables, lists, stacks, queues, graphs, trees or structures of equivalent standard" which all sound very mathsy but it will be alright. You have a lot of time to complete to complete the project, and you have to time to learn any things you may need - but I think you might just need to accept that there will be a degree of maths involved.

However, there is hope.

Databases ("Complex data model in database (eg several interlinked tables)")
and
Networking ("Complex client-server model")
Can also get you into these high bands, and these may require less maths, especially databases. I would advise you to read the mark scheme and plan your project around that, since that is what is going to get you marks.

I hope this will help a bit?

Yeah I realised to an extent I will still need to involve some maths but thank you! It really helps 😊😊
Reply 7
Original post by Peeacee
Yeah I realised to an extent I will still need to involve some maths but thank you! It really helps 😊😊

It's alright! If you have any questions I did mine in python, feel free to DM me, and I might be able to help you out?
Original post by TBClark
It's alright! If you have any questions I did mine in python, feel free to DM me, and I might be able to help you out?

Thank you 😊😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending